Author Topic: WnW Hannover Cl.II finished (with a footnote)  (Read 21934 times)

Offline gedmundson

WnW Hannover Cl.II finished (with a footnote)
« on: January 02, 2021, 01:29:42 AM »
What better way to start off the new year than by cracking open a new project - WnW Hannover Cl.II. Since I've got a couple of these in the stash it made sense to jump into it now that I've got some spare room on the bench. I'd picked up some Aviattic lozenge decals for it last summer, so it'll be nice to start on an aircraft model for the first time in over a year.
Cheers,
Gary

« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 11:09:11 PM by gedmundson »

Offline RAGIII

Re: WnW Hannover C1.II
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 02:12:54 AM »
Excellent choice Gary. I am looking forward to your build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Radarman

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 02:31:06 AM »
Gary,
This will be another great one to watch. Thanks for the preview of things to come,

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 02:43:21 AM »
What a gorgeous looking plane. Have fun building it.

Offline Monty

Re: WnW Hannover Cl.II
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 01:14:35 AM »
A lovely project to start the new year off! In your capable hands this will be a treat, Gary! ATB, Marc.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 03:09:25 AM »
Have you decided on a scheme yet ?

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 07:35:20 AM »
Great choice, I'm taking a comfortable seat to fully enjoy the build.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Bughunter

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 07:47:41 AM »
Oh, a Hannover - have great fun with this build, Gary!
I have an Eduard Cl.III in my stash so I will watch to learn something about this type.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline mgunns

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 08:28:10 AM »
Hi Gary:

Great Choice.  A very interesting aircraft affording the modeler some neat schemes and challenges.  What scheme are you going to go with?  I did one when it first came out and used an old Aurora Lozenge template, blown up to 1/32nd scale and then hand painted the scheme with a blue over spray, turned out pretty cool.  Looking forward to seeing what scheme you are going to do and how you are going to do it.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 04:42:11 AM »
Thanks to all for the words of encouragement - I'm a bit our of my depth on this one and am feeling like I have to re-learn a few things!

Alexis and Mark - the scheme will be Option "D" in the instructions with the number "4" on the side. Michel Gruson did that one and his build was truly inspiring when I saw it years ago.

Hi Gary:

Great Choice.  A very interesting aircraft affording the modeler some neat schemes and challenges.  What scheme are you going to go with?  I did one when it first came out and used an old Aurora Lozenge template, blown up to 1/32nd scale and then hand painted the scheme with a blue over spray, turned out pretty cool.  Looking forward to seeing what scheme you are going to do and how you are going to do it.

Mark - the lozenge painting is the one thing on this build that scares me the most. I had no idea how to approach it until I read your bit about the template. Brilliant! I've actually got a pattern in the Smithsonian book on the Albatros D.Va which I can use. I still have to work out the logistics of how to step through it - but you've given me some light at the end of that tunnel  ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Offline mgunns

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 04:34:29 AM »
Hi Gary:  Not to steal your thunder but here's how I did mine.  I know it's the incorrect 4 color lozenge pattern vice the painted on, but with the blue over it, I don't think it's that noticeable other than there is lozenge under it.
I used an old Aurora Lozenge pattern, enlarged it to 1/32nd and with carbon paper traced the pattern over the base coat and then hand painted the pattern.  Once dry overpainted it with blue until I was happy with the result.  Were I to do it again, which I probably will as I have this kit, I would blow up the lozenge pattern using the scheme of "White 4, Schlasta 25, from the first release of the Hannover, kit# 32024, which is still up on the WNW website, and use that as a template for the lozenge to either transfer with carbon paper or use as templates for masks.
Good luck and looking forward to seeing how you go with it.

Mark

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 07:43:18 AM »
Hi Gary:  Not to steal your thunder but here's how I did mine.  I know it's the incorrect 4 color lozenge pattern vice the painted on, but with the blue over it, I don't think it's that noticeable other than there is lozenge under it.
I used an old Aurora Lozenge pattern, enlarged it to 1/32nd and with carbon paper traced the pattern over the base coat and then hand painted the pattern.  Once dry overpainted it with blue until I was happy with the result.  Were I to do it again, which I probably will as I have this kit, I would blow up the lozenge pattern using the scheme of "White 4, Schlasta 25, from the first release of the Hannover, kit# 32024, which is still up on the WNW website, and use that as a template for the lozenge to either transfer with carbon paper or use as templates for masks.

Thanks for showing this Mark - your results worked out really well indeed. I'm going to use a spin on your idea and get some masks made by transferring a pattern like the one you've shown. I'm putting the project on hold whilst waiting for some reference material - "Kensar" is kindly sending me a Windsock modelling special on building the Hannover. So far I've just got a few of the fiddly bits removed from the sprues ready for painting.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 07:44:10 AM »
Very impressive paint work! Your stencil, hand painting, and overspray are awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mgunns

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 12:20:12 PM »

Thanks for showing this Mark - your results worked out really well indeed. I'm going to use a spin on your idea and get some masks made by transferring a pattern like the one you've shown. I'm putting the project on hold whilst waiting for some reference material - "Kensar" is kindly sending me a Windsock modelling special on building the Hannover. So far I've just got a few of the fiddly bits removed from the sprues ready for painting.
Cheers,
Gary

Thanks Gary, for some reason I thought you had the new release, having re-read your thread from the beginning, I see you have the kit with the neat lozenge painted Hanover.  Looks like you have a concept in place and a well thought out plan of execution.
Mark

Offline gcn

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 05:48:33 PM »
Hi Gary

I’m sure you don’t need any painting tips, but...

... when I did my Hannover I followed a similar method as Mark, but it is time consuming and by the time you’ve overpainted With the dark blue little remains of all the hard work.

My adventures in the internet led me to this thread https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=128120&start=30 where he sprays the lozenge freehand, but the end results are as though he’d done it the hard way.

It’s the method I will undertake when I get round to my Halberstadt.