Author Topic: WnW Hannover Cl.II finished (with a footnote)  (Read 21945 times)

Bughunter

Re: WnW Hannover Cl.II
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2021, 09:15:23 PM »
Gary, the Argus engine is nicely painted and detailed with plugs, clamps on cables ... I like it!

But, could it be that the "pipe" on top, connected to the valve rockers, are a sprue?

Cheers,
Frank

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2021, 09:59:01 PM »
Gary, the Argus engine is nicely painted and detailed with plugs, clamps on cables ... I like it!

But, could it be that the "pipe" on top, connected to the valve rockers, are a sprue?

Cheers,
Frank

I think you might be correct there Frank.  Certainly looks like a sprue/mold gate to me.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2021, 10:29:05 PM »
Nice work on the engine Gary , should look even better once it's all weathered up .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2021, 01:23:09 AM »

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks Frank!! What scares me is how long I would have left that on there before realizing it had to be clipped off!!  :-[
Cheers,
Gary

Bughunter

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2021, 01:55:00 AM »
We all do not get younger and make more and more crazy mistakes, I'm already like that!
That is the main reason for build reports ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2021, 02:07:51 AM »
Very nice work on your engine, it's always gratifying to detail engines even knowing they will end hidden by cowlings.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2021, 10:35:11 AM »
Great looking engine, Gary.  I like the addition of the pushrods.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2021, 05:18:57 AM »
Nice work on the engine Gary; Sprue notwithstanding.  ;)  I like the highlighting of the valve springs.  As those are probably the most prominent feature, aside from the exhaust, attention will be drawn to them first.  I am looking forward to seeing you progress through the build.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2021, 03:31:16 AM »
Hi Gary,

I admire your work on the Argus engine. I think the sparkplugs, cable clamps and the pushrods. The paintwork is beautiful. Looking forward to the rest of this build.

I have most of the WNW engine sprues, but I am hesitant to build them every time I see the great work and enhancements by the craftsmen (and woman) on this site.

Willem

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2021, 04:27:25 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their kind words on the engine. I'm working on some cockpit detail now and decided to enhance the look of the seatbelts. I'm not a big fan of the etched metal belts because they look a bit thin, but hopefully they'll paint up ok. The after-market products look great, but I don't have any of those right now. One thing I did add to them was a more 3-dimensional spring made from copper wire.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline mgunns

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2021, 04:32:06 AM »
I was thinking how nice those PE springs looked, almost three "D", and then I read your narrative and now I know why.  Nice job on the belts, especially the copper springs, which dresses them up real nice.  A bit fiddly to do but pay off big time.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2021, 06:46:02 AM »
Those copper wire springs are a fantastic addition! The belts will look awesome once painted!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2021, 04:15:16 AM »
Some further work using oil paints for wood grain and some weathering on the engine.

I masked the laminations on the propeller but went with less difference than I'd normally do between the wood colours. I just went slightly darker with the second colour, and after finishing the prop ended up with a lamination that is very subtle.

With most of the cockpit and engine done, I'm fearing that painted-on camo scheme is getting closer. But it'll be quite a challenge.

Cheers,
Gary

Bughunter

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2021, 06:13:01 AM »
Some nice wood painting, the decals looks also great!

With most of the cockpit and engine done, I'm fearing that painted-on camo scheme is getting closer. But it'll be quite a challenge.
Ha, why I know that feeling? My fuselage is still unpainted ...

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2021, 12:04:39 AM »
The prop looks excellent with the lighter tones! Seatbelts , IP, and Engine are beautiful!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler