Author Topic: Nungesser's Nieuport XVII - 1:32 - CSM  (Read 5001 times)

Offline rhwinter

Re: Nungesser's Nieuport XVII - 1:32 - CSM
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2020, 06:02:37 PM »
Love it!!

Offline TimDEFR

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2020, 01:16:29 AM »
Hello,

First things first: Thanks to everyone for your encouraging feedback and nice words. I'm really enjoying this community and I'm simply stunned and motivated by all the great work I'm seeing here.

Back to the Nieuport: I'm mostly done with the internal woodworks and what a hassle it was. CSM advises four different wood tones in their manual (spruce, walnut, plywood, and poplar) which is fairly beyond my comfort zone of one dark and one light wood tone. But I'm getting ahead...

This is before the oil paint massacre began (at least for all parts except for one)

So while I haven't done the poplar part yet (which is the only the headrest anyway), I tried to vary a bit between spruce (The "framework" with the rigging) and plywood (anything else). In the end, I had the tonal variations a little bit too subtle and they look very similar (not to say identical).

Quite happy with the walnut tone. Parts are a bit shiny at the moment as I glossed them for washes but my girlfriend will arrive in a couple of minutes to end my modeling ambitions for the weekend ::)

So far from my side, have a nice weekend everyone!

Best,
Tim

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2020, 02:17:11 AM »
Awesome painting. I Like the light plywood colors!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2020, 02:21:01 AM »
Tim, those wood tones look quite good to me.  Nicely done.  Carry on!

Best regards,

Bob

Bughunter

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2020, 04:18:27 AM »
Nice work, the different wood tones looks great.
Beside you work your quality pictures shows also the quality of that CSM kit, hope for more 1/48 kits from this model forge.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2020, 06:42:05 AM »
Your woodwork looks great. I like the different colors. Wel done

Offline Monty

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 01:55:23 AM »
Oh, those are nice wood tones Tim! Looking good! "Oil paint massacre..." feel that a lot myself! But your progress is good and your work neat and convincing... Regards, Marc.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2020, 06:11:58 AM »
Excellent work. Taking on the challenge of several tones is one thing but getting them right is another. You have certainly accomplished that!

Steve

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2020, 10:46:38 PM »
Very nice progress and to echo everyone else, your wood looks fantastic!!

Offline TimDEFR

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2020, 10:29:58 PM »
@ Rag, Bob, Monty, Frank, Steve, Fred and fdvm: thank you for your kind words on the wood. They were quite encouraging as I was a bit skeptical about that part of mixing too many tones.

Beside you work your quality pictures shows also the quality of that CSM kit, hope for more 1/48 kits from this model forge.

I fully agree, the kit is simply excellent, smartly engineered with stunning details. I think CSM is on par with WNW et al. and I if they would release any other 1:32 kit I would definitely buy it *wink*

Happy Christmas everyone!

Best regards,
Tim

Offline TimDEFR

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2020, 09:38:02 PM »
Hey guys,

I hope everyone spent some quality time over Christmas. I surely did and finally managed to put some parts together and finished the Nieuport's interior. The kit fits super well but as with WNW you really have to make sure you clean the connecting surfaces of any paint.

The internal rigging is quite a highlight on this kit and while it is relatively straight forward it got a bit fiddly here and there because of lacking space (control strings are not on tension on the photo).

And here we go with the final part. Once I fitted this with the fuselage, I will mark up some of the spots where the painting suffered from handling. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with the result. The only thing I would make different is to give the wooden parts a very thin layer of clear orange/yellow as they turned out a bit pale after receiving the matte coating.

Have a great day!

Best, Tim
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 09:44:40 PM by TimDEFR »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2020, 11:52:01 PM »
Hello Tim ,

I stop using a flat clear of my wood tones and moved up to a semi gloss instead . It blends the tones better giving the effect a more natural appearance , even if I don't use a tinted clear coat .

Love the different variations you have with your wood effect , it all flows together wonderfully . Awesome job on getting the pit together , even in this scale she is a little tight .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2020, 12:42:00 AM »
Looks like a lot of detail in a very small space.

Offline TimDEFR

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2020, 12:55:58 AM »
Thanks for your feeback, Alexis and Kensar!

I stop using a flat clear of my wood tones and moved up to a semi gloss instead . It blends the tones better giving the effect a more natural appearance , even if I don't use a tinted clear coat .

I will definitely try this on the remaining woodparts. Makes sense that wood treated with oils etc. would have some sort of shine to it.

Best,
Tim

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2020, 01:02:53 AM »
Great looking interior, the rigging is outstanding!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler