Author Topic: Nungesser's Nieuport XVII - 1:32 - CSM  (Read 5006 times)

Offline TimDEFR

Nungesser's Nieuport XVII - 1:32 - CSM
« on: December 09, 2020, 11:40:20 PM »
Hello everyone,

All the fantastic builds around here motivated me to have a try and do an "under construction" report on my Nieuport XVII. I received the kit yesterday and right now, I'm simply amazed by its beauty. After a long back and forth I opted for the Nungesser scheme (which you see on the box) even though I'm still not 100% decided and there's a slight chance I might switch to Herbelin.   

I kicked off with the usual chores, namely cutting, cleaning, and sanding and, in this special case, a lot of micro-drilling for rigging and air intakes. The wire in the photo is not the actual rigging but just a place holder to prevent the holes from clogging during the paint job. Oh and sorry, I promise to clean my clamp before I take the next photos  ;D

The ammunition box needed some filling to cover the seem.

This is actually the first time I do a model in aluminum / silver dope, so I experimented a bit with different colors and mixtures and I think I found my favorite. What you see in the photo is:

a) 1:1 Tamiya XF16 & Tamyia XF2
b) 4:3 Mr. Metal Aluminum & Mr. Color Skygrey
c) 1:1 Mr. Metal Aluminum & Mr. Color Skygrey (which weirdly turned out more shiny than the mix above with a higher share of aluminum...)
d) 5:4 Mr. Metal Aluminum & Mr. Surfacer White (didn't have any real lacquer white on hand)
e) 4:3 Tamiya XF16 & Tamyia XF2
f) 5:3 Mr. Metal Aluminum & Mr. Color White 

So far for now, next on the list is priming and some carpentry work aka wood grain :)

Have a great day,
Tim

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Nungesser's Nieuport XVII - 1:32 - CSM
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 12:15:03 AM »
I'm a fan of b and f for the aluminum and e for the dope. To me the other Tamiya options are just a little TOO flat.

Steve

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 12:32:50 AM »
Will be tagging along on your project Tim .

As for the alum , I don't use the brands that you mentioned . I use Vallejo Metal Coats . White alum over a light grey base for dope areas and alum for metal over a gloss black base . Agree with Steve the Tamiya alum is to flat and grainy .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline TimDEFR

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 01:08:11 AM »
Hey guys,

Thanks for your feedback. Happy to hear we agree on the color choices :D I am between e and f. I have to admit it's even more difficult to tell from the photos than in real life (except for options a & d which I find too flat). For the cowling, I will most likely use just Mr. Metal aluminum without anything added to it. 

That's all in the future anyway, I'm currently thinking about another test to hit the 4 wood options that are mentioned in the instructions  ;D

Best,
Tim

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 04:50:20 AM »
Lovely start, Tim! Love your macro photography.. the fine hairy stuff is scary... like the colour e myself... Regards, Marc.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 08:07:57 AM »
Outstanding start and great Mods on a Terrific kit!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline TimDEFR

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 11:08:02 PM »
Hey everyone,

Thanks, Marc & RAG, for your feedback. I haven't been as busy this weekend as I originally planned to be but neither haven't been completely idle. I mostly painted some applications on parts that will receive the wood grain later as my hand isn't the most steady and I'd rather clean oils from acrylics than the other way around.

As you see I also started the internal rigging. Despite having some sinfully expensive Gaspatch turnbuckles lying around, I prefer using brass tubes without eyelets because I have a hard time lining the former properly up with the rigging wire and I'm a bit whiny about this. So I rather prefer this simplified version but having the wires nice and straight  ;D P.S.: I have no idea why the French blue turned out so dark on the photo -and I tried multiple times- but it's actually just common XF-18 middle blue and looks much better in reality.

I also painted some of the metallic parts and I'm quite happy with how they turned out (despite being a bit too pristine at the moment).

So far for today, enjoy your weekend!

Tim

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 12:29:48 AM »
Progress is progress and she is looking nice with that firewall  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 08:01:20 AM »
Your painting is superb! I am envious of your clean technique! I also am impressed by the induction pipes. I have struggled with that assembly on all three of My CSM builds!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 06:44:01 PM »
Nice progress.  Your metallics look real nice.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 01:56:20 AM »
Beautiful work here Tim! Following this closely.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 05:43:09 AM »
Some great work, Tim! I'm following carefully.. Marc.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 11:25:34 AM »
Very neat and tidy!!

Steve

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 10:44:48 PM »
 8)

Offline Europapete

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2020, 12:54:42 AM »
Very nice clean work there Tim, well done. Regards, Pete in RI