Author Topic: Roden 1/72 Felixstowe F.2A  (Read 3778 times)

Offline Early Bird Fan

Roden 1/72 Felixstowe F.2A
« on: November 08, 2020, 12:41:07 AM »
i've got a couple of projects on the go at the moment but i like things to do in the background so thought i'd make a start on my Felixstowe, mainly because i couldn't wait to get started on the engines. So here they are 99% complete, i just need to add a couple more bits

I've also made a start on adding some interior detail, the first job was to add some framework behind the gun ports to which i can add some rigging once painted

I then thought about altering the front molded detail, this was filed down and i then used evegreen strips to add some framework.

the design is based around the WNW cockpit tub instructions which i'd downloaded previously for the more detailed rigging info.

The lower section frames the floor which will give a nice fixing point when the time comes to join the 2 halves together. Next job is to finish the other side then prime and paint which probably won't happen for a few days

Offline mgunns

Re: Roden 1/72 Felixstowe F.2A
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 02:43:52 AM »
Looks like you are off to a great start.  The engines are looking mighty good, ready to spin a prop and fire up.  Although not much of the interior will be seen, your work is noteworthy and will show off nicely.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 03:18:07 AM »
Nice choice EBF, I'll follow this with interest. I had a WNW F2a but sold it when I realised it was far too big for me to display anywhere. Been thinking about a 1/72 Roden one for a while, so I'll be keen to see how you get on with it. Good start.
Sandy

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 03:52:05 AM »
Great start to the great project! I will be watching it with much interest.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 04:21:46 AM »
This is looking really good! I am going to follow with rapt attention! Regards, Marc.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 09:47:48 AM »
Awesome start! The engines look superb for any scale but in 1/72nd even more impressive! I like the frame detail you are adding. Really looking forward to More!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 10:57:29 AM »
Love the engines ! Those are really nicely done EBF . Side detail on the fuselage sides are off to great start as well , looking forward to see this unfold  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 04:51:05 PM »
I'd like to second all the preceding comments EBF,great work so far!
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 11:53:24 PM »
thanks for the comments guys, it's very much appreciated.

Had a bit of an issue when i started priming the larger parts on the sprue, during the last coat a load of what looked like grease spots appeared, luckily it turned out to be a dodgy can of paint rather than grease spots which would have been worse case scenario. A quick buff with a sanding sponge and a fresh can of primer and everything is now in primer without any issues.

I've finished the interior framework and made a start on the wood effect paint job

Also done a test fit of fuselage and wing root, all 4 slots on the fuselage needed opening out but no big deal and it's a nice tight fit

I've also made up the lower wing, there's absolutely no strength in the 2 spars on the centre section so have PVA'd 2 stirring sticks to stop it bending too much, they'll also give me something to hold when painting

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 03:35:31 AM »
Good news that the primer problem has been solved. With the engines between the wings, and all of those struts, you have got a challenge on your hands there EBF, but I am sure that you will handle it well.

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 03:48:47 PM »
Nice progress on the fuselage  :) Are you able to use brass rod or something else that would work for the struts that run from the underside of the lower wing to fuselage for better strength ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 06:52:13 PM »
Some interesting solutions to the structural problems. But the basics are looking good! Model on! Marc.

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 12:21:10 AM »
Nice progress on the fuselage  :) Are you able to use brass rod or something else that would work for the struts that run from the underside of the lower wing to fuselage for better strength ?

Terri
As it's a tight fit in the fuselage i'm thinking that once it's in place it will get it's strength from the fuselage, i'll also be able to get a bit of glue between wing root and fuselage which should help. If not then i'll make some internal braces for it, the stirring sticks are purely there so i can handle it while it's loose without breaking the thin bars, once painted i'll remove them.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 01:54:11 AM »
Nice progress.  Interior detail looks good - much better than not having it!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 11:12:14 PM »
Terrific progress on your build! Interior is looking great! Good luck with the wings although I am sure you will end up with a good structure!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler