Author Topic: 1/72 Siemens Schuckert DDr 1  (Read 6760 times)

Offline Early Bird Fan

Re: 1/72 Siemens Schuckert DDr 1
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 04:37:08 PM »
looking good LM

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 08:36:07 PM »
Great project, build start is very promising.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline William Adair

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2020, 10:49:12 PM »
Really liking the nacelle.  Great job!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2020, 04:01:40 PM »
Eggcellent work on the fuselage Stephen  ;) :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2020, 07:58:07 AM »
Stephen, the fuselage with cowlings of your push-pull aircraft looks great!
I guess that is the only type of that time with that feature, and your model is may be the only one too.
For modern times there is the Cessna Skymaster, but that is not a biplane.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 09:15:58 PM »
Evening All,

Thanks EBF, Guiseppe, William, Terri and Frank for the encouraging comments.

Frank there is a vacuform of this in 1/72 scale by Roseplane which I think is probably like hen's teeth these days, and there is a resin kit in 1/48 sclae but I cannot recall the name of the manufacturer - Terri has one. You are correct that this design was unique for the time and the push pull arrangement may well have caused severe instability in the air and therefore the demise of the machine on its first flight. C Dornier had also used the push-pull setup in his flying boats, but they were inline engines, (not rotaries as per this aircraft), and his flying boats were very much larger and therefore i think, more stable in the air.

I did write that this one was going to be slow - well it is being so. Painting of the main components is now complete: the fuselage was painted gloss black before I applied several thinned coats of aluminium (acrylics). This has given a metallic finish but not high gloss which I think would be unrealistic. It has also concealed all of the filler...

I think that the black anti-glare panel will need to be made a little wider but that is a simple task. The wings were also painted in acrylics - white with a small amount of Humbrol 103 clear doped linen. The Humbrol piant is much too yellow but when mixed with white a good approximation can be achieved, and different shades are easily mixed. The crosses were home printed:

I am still thinking about how to attach the wings: there are lots of holes that have to be drilled and they all have to line up accurately....

More later.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:20:47 PM by lone modeller »

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 10:47:28 PM »
This is shaping up nicely, Stephen.  At this stage, it may seem to take a long time to make progress, but when the major subassemblies are put together, its obvious that taking one's time was well worth it - at least that's how my builds go.
You brought up an interesting thought about having 2 rotary engines in a push-pull configuration.  I wonder if that was a big factor in the design's failure?

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2020, 11:44:03 PM »
Nothing wrong with taking ones time Stephen ...slow and steady wins the race and you are in the lead !
Really nice work on the fuselage and painting the wings which you nailed the German CDL . Name of the 48 scale manufacture is Spin Models  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2020, 01:28:20 AM »
Stephen, your prepared parts looks beautiful!

and there is a resin kit in 1/48 sclae but I cannot recall the name of the manufacturer - Terri has one.
Oh yes, thank you for the hint! Not only Terri, now also me :D
Found one for a fair price on ebay and bought it. Not yet delivered of course, but should arrive soon.

There is still one in US ebay, but for $115  :o  That is much to high for the given quality.

Cheers,
Frank
PS: I'm not sure if the seven lives of a cat would be enough to build my huge stash ???

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2020, 11:28:34 PM »
Did I read right Frank , you bought a resin kit ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2020, 12:15:55 AM »
As always this one is shaping up to be a Beauty Stephen! I continue to admire your work!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2020, 02:14:09 AM »
Evening All,

Thanks Ken, Terri, Frank and Rick for your encouragement - much appreciated.

Frank: I know the temptation when one sees a new or obscure type.  I do not have a stash but I do have a long list of aircraft types that i might like to scratch build - and like you I would need the lives of several cats to have the time to build them all! In addition I would need a much larger house to keep them all!!

I have been dithering with this project because I was not sure how to fix the lower wings to fuselage assembly. I had run through several possibilities in my mind:

1. Fix the lower wing via the V struts to the fuselage, then place the middle wings on the fuselage to measure where the strut holes should be. Drill the holes in the middle wing, attach it to the fuselage and insert the wing struts. Finally add the top wing.

2. Put the middle wing on to the fuselage with the strut holes pre-drilled and struts already in place. Mark off on the lower wing where the struts would be and drill holes, then fix lower wing to fuselage. Add top wing.

3. Drill holes in the three wings, put either the lower or middle wing in place, add the second wing and struts and hope that everything lines up. Add top wing.

Option 3 was not a good one - no matter how carefully things are measured from the plans, models are never exactly the same as the plans and it was very likely that the strut holes would be mis-aligned. So it was option 1 or 2. I decided that because the middle wings have to be butt joined to the fuselage, there was a good chance that they would break off while trying to fix the lower wing into place, so I went for a variation on option 1, except that I drilled the holes in the middle wing before I put the lower wing in place. Not a good idea....

The lower wing went on well - with support the structure dried well and square. The problems started when I tried to fix the middle wings because the strut holes did not line up so I had to fill them and drill new ones. That was a real fiddle, the more so because the forward struts have a distinct bend forwards above the middle wing. After much effort I have fitted the lower and middle wings and struts - now I just have to put the top wing and cabanes into place:

I will have to touch in the paint on the wings to conceal where I have filled holes and scraped the existing paint.

The last image shows the top wing ready to put on to the struts: that is not going to be the easiest operation either as there are so many strut ends to cement at the same time. I decided to leave that for a couple of days after all of the messing around with the lower wings.  More later.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 01:03:14 AM by lone modeller »

Offline Radarman

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2020, 04:45:52 AM »
Stephen,
It's great to see this taking shape.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Bughunter

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2020, 07:42:07 AM »
Stephen, you got this beast under control!
The construction looks complicated - I think my kit will have the same problem.

The top wing has many mounting points! :o With wooden struts and brass pins I used the remaining flexibilty of the wing and started on one side (or from the fuselage to the outer ends) and glued one pair of struts after another into place.

Good luck,
Frank

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2020, 08:31:15 AM »
I too like quirky designs, but this looks like a nightmare to get everything aligned. Glad to see it taking shape! Are the struts flexible enough that you can start with glueing only the ” four outer corner” (if you know what I mean) struts first and snap the rest in place later?

That dull aluminium sheen looks just right to me by the way.