Author Topic: Toms Model Works Pfalz D.VII/III  (Read 28083 times)

Bughunter

Re: Toms Model Works Pfalz D.VII/III
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 03:50:06 AM »
I'm not a fan of white metal parts
#MeToo! The quality of the struts on the lower right corner of the picture could also be better ???

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 04:12:54 AM »
Hi Frank ,

Most of yesterday I spent working out a few the items which will be replaced and I found a solution to the center struts . I the parts bin I was able to dig up two matching resin struts from a left over project . These can sanded to shape and shorten where needed to construct new ones  :)

Was also able to find a seat in the parts bin , another resin left over item , just need to thin it a bit for a more in scale appearance . Prop blades got polished out as well .

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 04:13:18 AM »
 :)
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Radarman

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 05:10:37 AM »
Hello Terri,
It’s good to see a start on this project. Make sure to take a photo
of this bird next to your Pfalz Dr.1 so we can see a family portrait.
                                                                        Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 08:55:39 PM »
Hi Terri!
Beautiful little project, a rare bird in our field.
About cowling, Karaya produced a resin version of your engine: http://www.karaya.pl/en/karaya/11/siemens-halske-sh-iii-engine-kare4807.html?ref=%2Fen%2Fkaraya%2F11%2F2%2F1%2Fitems.html
But, of course, you don't know if it fits well in your cowling if you don't have in your hands.
Did you try if metal cowling fits well to fuselage?
You may try to obtain a copy made with transparent acetate, using metal cowling as master.
If you have a piece of transparent acetate, put it on a candle. When you see "wave moving" in it, press it with a fast move on metal cowling, fixed on a stick before.
The transparent acetate will adhere to master. After few seconds, you may remove the printed transparent cowling, clean the part cutting away acetate excesses.
Hope my explanation is clear!
Hope useful too!
Roberto

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 10:18:10 AM »
Hi Roberto ,

I have built Karaya's engine before on Eduards SSW D.III first production 1995 . , it's a nice little kit packed with detail . But I'm going with the kit engine on this one .
Yes , your explanation is clear . I already thought about smash modeling one , but the cowl fits prefect . No gaps and is flush with the fuselage . I went and pick a bit for my dremel so I will be able to thin the inside of the cowl and reduce some of the weight . Man it's a heavy little piece of metal .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline AndRoby67

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2020, 03:00:09 AM »
Hi Terri,
happy that you find the way!
Roberto

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2020, 11:51:36 AM »
Well, here you go again, looking forward to more...

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2020, 07:35:05 AM »
Thanks Ed  :)

Okay plan of a attack is under way . First step for the fuselage detail is we need some formers to start with . I opt to not go with the kit scale drawings , but rather the ones in Jack Herris book Pfalz Aircraft of WW 1 . They are closer to the kit parts .

The inside of the fuselage is no round like it should be , it has flat sides , Not much surface can be removed to correct this . The halves aren't overly thick to refine this . So adjustments had to be made with the formers . For these parts I laid Tamiya masking tape over the scale drawings and traced it out with a pen . Tape was then transfer onto card stock 0.20mm . With a new blade I made a few passes a long the lines . This can now be snapped to remove the excess .

Now came the fun part , a few hours of sanding and test fitting so that the formers match the inner surfaces while leaving no gap at the fuselage seem . I did do a little sanding on the fuselage halves sides so I could keep both sides pretty much the same . This where I'm at with them so far .

Terri

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Brian James Riedel

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2020, 02:10:14 AM »
A couple of pics I found on the internet that might help with the interior that I didn’t have when I built mine.

Brian Riedel

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2020, 12:19:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing Brian ,

I do have the second photo you posted . But I haven't seen the first one before .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2020, 11:37:33 AM »
Was able to cut out some other parts for the frame and the floor . With the Camel almost button up my attention will turn more to this project with better progress being made .

Terri

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Online RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2020, 02:06:56 AM »
Great start on sorting out the parts and the bulkheads Terri! I am as always looking forward to more!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2020, 09:22:16 AM »
Thanks Rick ,

I spent a few hours working on the bulkheads The front one with the instrument location was a bit of a challage getting the cout right . It's not prefect but it will do and will look the part once it is in place . I have one more item for the frame work to cut out and shape and that is the front seat support .

Terri

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Brian James Riedel

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 02:17:35 AM »
Looking good! Have you figured out what markings you want to do? I always kick myself for not doing  my favorite, Paul Bauer.

Brian Riedel