Author Topic: Toms Model Works Pfalz D.VII/III  (Read 27946 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Toms Model Works Pfalz D.VII/III
« on: October 10, 2020, 11:51:38 AM »
With the camel getting close to priming and painting I need a new 48 scale project and I have been wanting to build this kit for a while now . What got the gears going on this was Bertl post https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11227.0
I was fortune enough to be able to get another one of this kits so I'm able to do both version . Single bay and double wing bay struts .

WILL not be going gun ho with the cockpit on this one . I had a junked Pfalz D.IIIa kit and will use the pit parts from that kit and scratch other items needed . The kit engine will be used , it's pretty good actual for it's age . More coming soon....

Terri

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Radarman

Re: Toms Model Works Pfalz D.VII/III
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 02:36:38 PM »
Terri,
You sure don't let the dust settle around your work bench. I'll enjoy seeing this build.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Bughunter

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 08:31:27 PM »
Terri, you are doing very interesting kits I'm not aware of :o
Have fun with this build!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 10:25:28 PM »
Kevin , over the past two years the dust hasn't settle on my bench . Last year we had nothing but rain the whole summer forcing me to stay indoors . This year was a repeat and with covid . It has created much bench time . Glad to have you tagging along ! :)

Frank , there are some very interesting subjects in resin which aren't in plastic and I like to do different subjects , it keeps it interesting  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 12:07:54 PM »
With some time to spare I made a from start on cleaning up a few of the parts edges . Don't have to hollow out the cockpit either . Test fitting the lower wings to the fuselage will are promising with just a bit of light sanding to level the wing root .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Radarman

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 12:52:23 PM »
Terri,
I hope you had an enjoyable holiday. Those parts look nice and clean making for a great start.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 12:08:18 AM »
Thanks Kevin , few more of the resin to clean up and then start figuring out the details .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 09:35:36 PM »
Good time to check the alignment of the major parts.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 10:09:58 AM »
Thanks Ken  :)

I cleaned up rest of the resin parts , polished the cowl and the engine doesn't fit . I will not remove detail from the engine . From what comes in other kits which this engine type , this is the best one yet that I have see . Detail will be added to dress it up a bit more but it is a really good starting base . Now I have to figure out how to thin the with metal ????

Terri

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 10:10:24 AM »
 :)
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Brian James Riedel

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 01:42:26 AM »
Love that kit!  Can’t wait to see what you do with it. I had a blast doing mine.

What markings are you planning on doing?

Any one else know if or when Lone Star Models will be doing their kit?

Brian Riedel

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 03:41:14 AM »
Hi Brain ,

It has been a long time since the last time I spoke with you . Nice to see you here  :)

Actually , this is the kit I got from you a many years back . ;) Not sure on what scheme I will go with . Haven't spent much time looking through refs and on line . But I would like one that is colourful .

Also not sure when Mike will be releasing his kit . In the spring he was looking for this kit so I'm guess it could be a copy of this one with improvements , but I'm not sure . Last I heard he was just waiting for the decals and the was a month ago . He has been announcing the release of the kit for a few years now so it could be a bit longer ...

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 07:54:53 AM »
Here is rest of the parts which are included in the kit .

I'm not a fan of white metal parts and the wheels will get replaced with better items from the parts bin . Landing gear struts will be tossed as well with new ones being made . Internal struts are supplied with 2 pieces of control strut , but it is over scale for this type and will replace from the parts bin . The cab struts I'm not sure if I will use these or not ...hell rest of the metal parts won't be used except for the prop . This is the only one which comes with the kit so if you want one with out the spinner ...one has to carve one up .

Other then the seat there are no other cockpit parts but there is a small fret of PE for some of the details .

Terri

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 11:15:10 PM »
I am catching up on some of the sub forum threads today. I had one of these Years ago. I decided it was Out of My League at the time  :-[ I am looking forward to your build as always Terri!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 12:01:23 PM »
Thanks Rick ,

Will be back at the tomorrow night , I need to start figuring out the cockpit details so i will focus on that for now .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch