Author Topic: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire story: The Few  (Read 2788 times)

Offline FAf

Eduard 1/48 Spitfire story: The Few
« on: September 15, 2020, 07:00:44 AM »
Being done with the Brisfit, opened up for a start on Eduard's new Spitfire boxing.

There are a few very minor flaws but in all it looks like a fantastic kit. It should build into two great models. The last couple of days have been used for preparation. Most small parts have been removed and readied for primer and colour. One pad for each model...

Cheers
Fredrik

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Eduard 1/48 Spitfire story: The Few
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 09:12:05 PM »
Following along on this one . I have Tamiya's new release on the Mk.1 so it will be interesting seeing this unfold .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline FAf

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 06:49:28 AM »
Thanks Terri! I've been working hard not to buy Tamiya's kit... Not that it isn't a fantastic kit, just a way to keep some money for later buys... Like this one. Tamiya's is a Mk.I but still later than the ones in Eduard's boxing, so there will be some differences.

The cockpits are nearing completion. And one of them will have the early ring and bead sight. I decided not to super detail them, so nothing but plastic and etch from the box.

/Fredrik

Offline FAf

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 05:57:34 AM »
I'm making some headway here as well. It's quite fascinating how quickly everything happens one you've assembled the cockpit tub.

The long nose of the Spitfire is one of many beatiful features, but there's always the risk not really getting rid of of that long seam. Filler applied! Another 'problem' with these very nice kits is the amount of surface detail. It's extremely nice, but you have to be really careful when glueing and sanding and lost rivets have to be replaced.

Wingtips, ailerons, horisontal stabilisers and elevators all attach without a problem and all of a sudden the Spitfire appears!

For the really early variants there are nice PE parts to attach, but if you mess upp the application you have to start over and then it's good to have two sets of said PE parts.

Also included in the box is a nice resin pilot.

/Fredrik

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 09:53:50 AM »
Hey , those Spits are coming along great Fredrik .  :)

With that really fine rivet detail wouldn't it have better for Eduard to mold the cowl top as one piece so there is no seem to fill ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 04:40:20 PM »
Lovely Fredrik!

I agree with Terri, seems a bit odd as it will be nigh on impossible to do it neatly!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline FAf

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 06:51:28 PM »
Thanks for dropping by Terri and Guy!

Well, you're right. It would obviously be easier if the cowling was a one piece dropfit. On Eduard's earlier Spitfires (Mk. IX -XIV) it's separate but still in two pieces split down the middle. I suppose it's something to do with the compound curves. For the later marks there are dropfit resin parts to be had.

This part of the Spitfire isn't the trickiest one though. The spine behind the cockpit is as visible and has a row of fine rivets on each side of the joint. This is an even trickier sanding job.

I have re-sanded now and re-primed. Next up is paint I believe. It's mostly a question of which to paint first, the Spitfires or the Fokker Eindecker?
/Fredrik
/Fredrik

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 05:31:53 PM »
Very fine. I will be watching the progress.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline FAf

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 08:41:45 PM »
There's been some progress a while back - just no updates... This is where they stand right now.

Dark Earth sprayed on. Gunze to the left and Mr. Paint to the right. No real difference in colour.

Camouflage masks prepared and added.

Dark Green sprayed. Gunze to the left and Mr. Paint to the right. Definite difference in colour this time. I think I prefer the Mr. Paint version.

Prepped for painting the markings.

One of them should have overpainted yellow roundel parts. So let's try that.

First a masking fluid disaster... and then after having fixed that it turns out that nothing much is seen of the overpainting anyway... Huh! 😏

/Fredrik

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 03:03:38 AM »
Looking very nice Fredrik,

Have you seen the Tamiya one? Just wondering which is the best kit...

Guy

Offline FAf

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 05:17:54 AM »
Ok, there are plenty of reasons for the lack of postings here and elsewhere on this forum... let's just say that the corona situation takes the fun out of a lot of things even if you haven't actually had it yourself. I still do admire the builds of others here on the forum and they, and this forum in it self, is a very nice place to come to. For me it works as a kind of sanctuary, even if I don't post much right now.

There has been some modelling going on though and the two Spitfires are now done. Here are some pics... Enjoy!
/F

The oldest of the pair first - ring and bead sight, older kind of guns, etc. - flown by Stanford Tuck in the summer of '39.

The slightly newer one. Flown by Adolph Gysbert Malan in the summer of '40.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 05:59:11 AM »
Beautiful results on both! You overcame the lifted paint without any noticeable effect! Lovely work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 05:01:18 PM »
Beautiful Fredrik!

I particularly like the slightly weathered roundels  ;)

Looking forward to your FK8!

Guy

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 11:23:58 PM »
Fredrik , both Spit's turned out fantastic !  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2021, 01:35:18 AM »
What a superb pair of models. They were worth waiting for - two more gems to add to your collection.

Stephen.