Author Topic: Gallery VH-34 Presidential ride  (Read 1038 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Gallery VH-34 Presidential ride
« on: May 10, 2021, 12:33:28 AM »
After a short foray into the dark side (an automotive project I have going on the side) I have settled on this different subject - the Marine One Presidential helicopter from the early sixties.  This bird carried a few US Presidents around and also brought astronauts to the White House.

This 1/48 scale model kit is from Gallery/MRC.  It is one of the best looking 'in the box' models I have ever seen.  Only WNW surpasses it with photos of the actual aircraft in the instructions.  All sprues are in separate plastic bags and the clear parts are also protected in a separated cardboard partition with foam rubber padding around the parts.

I am finding some parts need some adjustment to fit together, but that gives a good fit.  This is a very detailed kit with photoetch parts included.  I am using a colorized Eduard PE set for the cockpit.

Box art

I have added a few details to the engine area.  Gallery did leave out some prominent details.

I am using an Eduard PE set in the the cockpit.  I'm not certain this is an improvement over the molded plastic details.  Details are perfectly printed, but everything is 2-dimensional.

I have added the collective stick to the left of the seats.  This is one major detail that was left out.

So far, I've been enjoying this build.  I haven't built a helicopter model in many years.

Offline lone modeller

Re: Gallery VH-34 Presidential ride
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 04:02:15 AM »
I am constantly surprised by the quality of modern mouldings and the amount of detail in thse kits. However it takes a very good modeller indeed to achieve the finish that you have done. This will be most impressive when finished.

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 08:09:27 PM »
Hi Ken ,

This is different . Not the prettiest of helo's but the kit looks not bad at all . Nice job on the engine details with the plumbing . The Eduard PE does add to it , but being 2D everything is flat . What was the detail on the kit parts before the etch parts got added ?

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 10:28:56 PM »
Excellent construction and painting/ detailing to date Ken! This will be an interesting Model for sure.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 01:51:33 AM »
Thanks for commenting, Stephen, Alexis, and Rick.
The molded detail on the control panels was the typical knobs and switches.  This had to be removed to place the Eduard PE parts there.  I'm tempted to add the larger knobs back onto the panels using styrene rod.

Bughunter

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 03:01:12 AM »
Wow, that engine is a little jewel!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 10:56:58 AM »
Beautiful detailing as usual, Ken. Your precise, clean work is exceptional.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 06:41:17 PM »
Superb work! The engine looks great. Nice to see this unusual model. I will follow with interest.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline kensar

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 07:04:32 AM »
A quick update with the ugliest aircraft interior ever made.
I don't think any other colors could clash more.

I've added some gray fleece carpet and curtains.

Closing up the fuselage will be happening soon.  Then a lot of PE bits to go on the outside.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 10:33:41 PM »
Yup , I agree about the colours , they do clash and those seats don't look like they would be very comfortable for the long haul . But nice clean work Ken and I look forward on seeing the fuselage button up .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .