Author Topic: WNW lozenge decal pucker  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Houlie1

WNW lozenge decal pucker
« on: September 15, 2020, 06:08:52 AM »
Well, my first non-introductory post to the forum and it is related to shrinkage.  Go figure. 

I received a WNW "The Bavarians" Albatros I ordered via eBay.  As always, I inventory the parts.  I noticed the sealed pack decals had the upper lozenge sheet on top.  Looking more closely, it appears to have random ripples -- or waves of "puckering" running length-wise.  They are easy to see -- and feel.  As a result, is there a risk the decals no longer adequately covers the wing?  I took some random measurements and they have a height of ~40mm.

Thus, my questions are: 

1. Has anyone else experienced WNW DECAL shrinkage?
2. Is this normal? 
3. Does this impact the ability to properly decal the model -- or does it "de-shrink" once in water?  Is this recoverable?
4. Is this all in my head?

I am hoping for some good news as I am not interesting in shelling out $$ beyond the already high WNW price I paid.  Many thanks, Gents! 

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: WNW lozenge decal pucker
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 06:44:18 AM »
I haven't used WNW loz yet , but I have built two of their kits and didn't have any issues with the decals . As for others who have used them don't seem to have troubles with their older loz , new kits yes there are problems . I guess the only really way to know is try them and see what happens . Understandable on not wanting to shell out more cash for replacements , but either way if folks say they are shot then you still have to replace them . Are you able to post a photo of what this ripple looks like ?Give folks a better understanding to aid better .

You can can always put up a post in the buy and sell section for WNW loz for replacements , I'm sure there is someone who used aftermarket and still has WNW kicking around . Folks here are very kind and helpful when it comes to things like this if things don't work out with yours .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 07:22:44 AM »
If you are in the US I have a Ton of WNW lozenge you are welcome to. That being said the cost of replacing the lozenge with Aviattic cookie cutter decals for the Albatros is Well Worth the Price...IMHO.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Houlie1

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 12:29:20 AM »
RAGIII, that is a kind offer.  Thanks you.  Once I dig into the kit, I may take you up on it.  I have a few kits queued in front of the Albatros. 

Too, I have looked at the Aviattic decals and they look really good.  It's nice to hear from someone who has used them that they are a quality product.  I like to support our small business after-market suppliers, so may likely end up going in that direction. 

Again, many thanks. 

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 09:30:49 AM »
RAGIII, that is a kind offer.  Thanks you.  Once I dig into the kit, I may take you up on it.  I have a few kits queued in front of the Albatros. 

Too, I have looked at the Aviattic decals and they look really good.  It's nice to hear from someone who has used them that they are a quality product.  I like to support our small business after-market suppliers, so may likely end up going in that direction. 

Again, many thanks.

Hopefully a little inspiration for the Aviattic Decals and your build of the Albatros:

RAGIII

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 10:26:51 AM »
Hi Rick...very nice Albatros there!

I'm interested in your experience with the decals. How did you go about trimming them? My experience is that the decal film can be difficult to trim so I'd love to hear how others achieve such a perfect finish. Their colours are certainly way better than the Wingnuts version.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 05:19:55 PM »
Hi Dave,

On my D.VII I left a tiny bit overlap on the trailing edge, then sparingly used Mr Mark Set (which is quite "hot") on the inside to make them conform to the scalloped trailing edges. This did not work on all bits, so I had to use a bit of paint here and there.
The Mr Mark stuff will make the decal firm brittle (as in, removes the rubbery flexibility of the Aviattic film) and makes it much more easy to cut the overlapping edges with a new sharp blade along the scallops.

edit: forgot to mention not let this stuff pool/puddle on the printed side, if left on too thick it will eat up the printed colours! I use the tip of a paper kitchen towel to take off the excess.

Jeroen

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 11:31:24 PM »
Hi Jeroen

Many thanks for that decal trimming tip! I will try that idea.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 05:07:47 AM »
I use a sharp blade after all is dry. I also have used Tamiya extra thin cement to dispose of excess film on the edges but this takes extreme care!
RAGIII