Author Topic: Scratch built Nieuport IV in 1:72 scale  (Read 4604 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Scratch built Nieuport IV in 1:72 scale
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 11:55:10 PM »
sp,
    I took a look on the link Frank sent you and they refer to MicroScale "Metal Foil Adhesive".

https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=Microscale&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiKzqLtnuHr

Scroll down about half way and you'll find it.

I've never used it but this is probably what you are looking for.
Cheers,
Lance

Stephen, follow along by all means. Scratch building often requires an audience to whine to :-)

Have  you had any experience with Small Stuff? They mention a kind of foil glue. Do you know anything about it?

sp

Offline Old Man

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2020, 12:18:14 AM »
sp,
    I took a look on the link Frank sent you and they refer to MicroScale "Metal Foil Adhesive".

https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=Microscale&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiKzqLtnuHr

Scroll down about half way and you'll find it.

I've never used it but this is probably what you are looking for.
Cheers,
Lance

I use the MicroScale adhesive all the time, for fixing foil onto models needing a bare metal finish.

The stuff looks like white glue but handles differently. It only become sticky when it dries, and you rub the foil down hard to make a solid bond. Drying takes about a quarter hour.

It is not a water glue, and I find that CA accelerator cleans it up quick and brisk, using a bit of paper towel of a cotton bud.

I suppose putting a bit in a locator hole and letting it dry would work well enough for the purpose here. I've never tried using it for anything but its stated purpose.

Offline IanB

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 12:55:50 AM »
Nice project, I'll definitely follow this one. I built and corrected the eastern Express (?) kit a few years back for the Nieuport group build on here.
I always use ca for small stuff engines and have never had any issues with it.

Ian

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 06:21:34 AM »
I am like Ian, I use CA for Small Stuff engines and it works very well indeed.

I write again: they are top notch kits and well worth the money. They can be mounted as models in their own right IMHO.

Stephen.

Offline smperry

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 08:38:16 AM »
Good to hear about using CA on the Small Stuff kits.

I want to thank everyone who showed  interest and offered support, y'all really have me enthused about this project. Unfortunately I am unable to pursue it or any other for a while. My back has totally gone out on me. I can barely sit at the computer to keep up on the Forum. Actually sitting at the bench and accomplishing anything isn't in the cards right now.

I am awaiting a fresh MRI to wave under the doctor's nose and see what he says, so until then I have to self medicate and wait. No fun at all. It may be a while, but I will be doing the Nie IV

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 09:43:31 AM »
Sorry to hear about your back, Steve.  Here's hoping your back on the mend soon and back on this extraordinary project.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 02:45:50 AM »
You have my total sympathy concerning the back problem Steve. As a fellow sufferer I can imagine how you are feeling (but not for too long because it hurts too much). Totally frustrating I know - and very little you can do about it but wait.

I sincerely hope that it gets better soon and that you do not have to suffer too much. The Nieuport can wait - and so can we because it will be a gem when you do get back to it.

Stephen.

Offline smperry

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 05:28:48 AM »
Thanks Bud and Stephen. It is a long wait to get this fixed. Too much discomfort to concentrate on a model. It is a matter of waiting until I get a surgery date. So not looking forward. Y'all keep posting your progress, it greatly helps
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2020, 06:16:18 AM »
Sorry to hear that sp,

I had an MRI recently on my back - back pain ain’t fun!

All the best,

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2020, 08:03:31 AM »
I feel for you SP , back pain is no fun indeed . My prayers are with you .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2020, 12:22:03 PM »
  Hang in there SP, and I hope a solution surfaces quickly! I know your pain, in fact after "rolling" out of bed this morning I told the "Good Wife' I figured I've got less then a year of mobility left at this rate. I suppose our age (I'm including Stephen if I may) has a bit to do with it but at least we've got a great hobby to distract us from the problem at times. A good (Reference?) book and a a stiff whisky is the preferred solution here, rest up and keep us informed of developments.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline smperry

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2020, 01:05:11 PM »
Thanks Terri and Lance.
I had the MRI today. Now another week to wait to see the Dr,     still too uncomfortable to work on a model.
sp

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2020, 01:48:52 AM »
Thanks Terri and Lance.
I had the MRI today. Now another week to wait to see the Dr,     still too uncomfortable to work on a model.
sp

Sorry to Hear of your back pain SP! I hope things get better soon!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Old Man

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2020, 10:25:38 AM »
Sorry to learn of your difficulty, SP. Hope they can sort it out soon.

Offline smperry

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2020, 11:08:46 AM »
Saw the doc today. No surgery indicated :-)  Injections of steroids should stop the pain. Downside is a month's wait for the procedure. Did get a scrip to help until then. Looking forward to getting back to the bench.
sp