Author Topic: Scratch built Nieuport IV in 1:72 scale  (Read 4599 times)

Offline smperry

Scratch built Nieuport IV in 1:72 scale
« on: September 10, 2020, 01:55:10 PM »
Many years ago I started a scratch build of a 1:72 scale Nieuport IV.  I lost track of the project over the years. A couple of months ago, I found it in a plastic bag in a dusty shoe box. I didn't have a 7 cyl rotary for it so it was destined to stay in it's bag and then I learned of Small Stuff. This is an Israeli company that makes beautiful small scale engines. My kit arrived today. Beautiful casting and very well thought out engineering.

I intend to do the model as Nesterov's machine. Not much in the way of markings, a Roman numeral IV on the rudder, everything else is either CDL or sheet metal. Nesterov was reputed to have flown the first loop in this machine. This is all dimly remembered. Please correct me if memory has not served....again.

The photo below is where the project is at present. The pieces on the left are paper templates, on the right plasticard. I will be working on this slowly and will post progress as it occurs .
sp

There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Radarman

Re: Scratch built Nieuport IV in 1:72 scale
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 02:06:05 PM »
SP,
It's always with great interest that I follow the scratch building process. This unique aircraft will be one to watch.
                                                                                                                  Good luck with this build,
                                                                                                                                           Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline smperry

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 02:23:32 PM »
Thanks Kevin. It's nice to have an audience. I will have to start with the engine kit so I can get the nose/cowl area sized to fit. After that the U/C struts and the kingpost need to be made. I am thinking soldered brass rod or tube would be ideal for this design. Lots of fun conjuring up an airplane out of scraps.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 03:30:11 PM »
That's a great project, Sir!

Glad to see it underway in earnest.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 11:44:08 PM »
This one looks like a Great straight forward project SP! You are really on a roll with these SOD projects  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 11:47:10 PM »
Outstanding sp!  This is an interesting aircraft, and I will follow along on your journey to enjoy and see what I can learn. 

Best regards,

Bob

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 12:37:10 AM »
A neat project and you've already got a head start on it!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 01:00:23 AM »
Hi SP, this is going to be a great one to follow. Been away for a while and missed a lot of projects.

Offline smperry

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 01:16:47 AM »
Thanks y'all. I'm committed to finishing it now. I'm not too worried about the funky U/C, it is getting the cowl right that has me going. So while I work on the engine, I will need to research more about the wings. Did they have external rib battens? I have no idea on such an early bird, so I need to go find out.

sp

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 02:32:04 AM »
Good to see an SB in God's Own Scale, (must get back to it when the current project is finished). Those Small Stuff kits really are the dog's b.....ks - good news that you have one and are therefore able to continue with this project.

I will follow along if you do not mind...

Stephen.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 06:18:24 AM by lone modeller »

Offline smperry

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 02:57:03 AM »
Stephen, follow along by all means. Scratch building often requires an audience to whine to :-)

Have  you had any experience with Small Stuff? They mention a kind of foil glue. Do you know anything about it?

sp

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 09:25:40 AM »
Okay , you have my attention SP  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline smperry

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 10:30:40 AM »
I should do OK Terri, no double wires on this one. :-) The Small stuff people call out a specific glue and the pieces are so fine I am afraid to use anything else. The pushrods are finer than a fine hair. I wrote the Small stuff people inquiring about it and am awaiting a response. This thing has waited 15 years or so. A few more days won't matter. I want to get out of that Small Stuff engine what the designer intended. Going to be a 7 ring circus getting this little engine built. I'm not looking past that at this point. Welcome aboard.
sp

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 04:09:15 PM »
Lovely Sp,

I’d love to have the nerve and patience to do a scratch build!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Bughunter

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 06:01:16 PM »
Very nice project!
I have to many started projects, otherwise I would like to join with building my 1/48 Planet Model kit of that aircraft!

Oh yes, Small Stuff engines are great! All of my models using a rotary are equipped with such a engine, if the type is available.
Mostly 1/48, but for a Fokker D.VIII strip down I have also build a 1/72 rotary:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8721.0

I know it is for 1/48, but this is may be also for your smaller one a detailed recommendation:
 https://www.smallstuffmodels.com/p/buildinganengine.html

Happy modeling,
Frank