Author Topic: Oeffag Albatros D-III 1/33rd by Fitter and Repainted by Matt77  (Read 8528 times)

Offline matt77

• Modellismo in carta
Re: Oeffag Albatros D-III 1/33rd by Fitter and Repainted by Matt77
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2020, 05:37:59 PM »
Well...got her done but not beautifully.  I fear this one will be a 3 footer.  Marco's art all lines up perfectly, but I too now agree that there are too many segments!  Of course, I am no designer so that's not a shot at Fitter by any means.  I just don't know if there could be an alternative...I'd be for it!  ;D

I'll work on the bottom wing and then start the engine.  I do think it will be a pretty cool machine in any event...

Thanks for looking...Dan

If it were a fish, you can think of cutting with a cleaver, or filleting with a sharp knife.

In the way illustrated above, the body panels would not be interrupted in a stochastic way.
I believe that the direction of my next projects could be this.
Marco.

Offline Gene K

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2020, 12:55:07 AM »
I really enjoy when clever folks like Marco share their "behind the scenes" thoughts, thus allowing a glimpse into their process. Learn a lot that way, so many thanks!

The chop-up of the Albatros is similar to what I've done with Radio Control builds (mocked up via paper), and the cowl section (A on the diagram) is a particular challenge. Will be interesting how that will be done.

Gene K

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2020, 06:59:17 AM »
Thanks, Marco!  I agree with Gene...it's cool to see how you designers think of things.  I know when I made plans for a little rubber powered balsa and tissue D-III I did it like you suggested.  I do like how Fitter got those wing root parts done, though.  Very slick.  A better modeler (Insert random Polish/Czech/German/Russian/Italian Paper Modeler here) would do it justice. 

I'll keep plugging away.  I do like how it's turning out!

Dan
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 09:42:59 AM by NinetythirdLiberator »

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2020, 01:30:55 PM »
Got the top wing on!  Now I trust I can still get the engine in there... ::)

Only modification was to add my usual wire in the struts and the V-strut attachment on the lower wing was way too far back...almost in the center of the bottom wing.  Just looked odd.  It should be farther forward and in line (from the side) with the rear attachment of the cabane to fuselage joint.  Good thing about paper is that it only takes a sharp pointy stick to make a new hole!  ;D

Thanks for looking,
Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2020, 02:10:34 PM »
Looking good Dan. I would venture to guess you have your fingers caught in the PCF, (Paper Card Field). This is a field emitted by paper and traps a modeler's fingers so they have to constantly cut, bend, fold, spindle, mutilate and glue paper until it looks like an airplane. Not having touched paper card for over 24 hrs, I can attest to the severity of the withdrawal symptoms. So model on.

Didn't the Austrian Albies have two spars in the lower wing to prevent the flutter encountered by the Germans? That might have altered the strut locations.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2020, 02:39:07 PM »
Hi SP...

I do know that these were better than the German ones...not sure about the spars, though.  I doubt there would be a spar dead center...maybe 1/3 back and 2/3 back from the leading edge?  I'm just guessing here.  Anyway, based on my pictures, this one looks better now.

I'll try and find out.  You make a great point.

Speaking of great points, you should be at the Mayo Clinic.  This explains so much!  ;D

Keep cutting...Dan

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2020, 02:57:45 PM »
I did just tried to see how the Austrians did it.  Apparently they used heavier wood, better ribs and thicker/strengthened areas of the spar in the lower wing.  I did look at a nice three view and realized that the aileron control cables go into holes into the lower wing just behind the V-part.  So maybe what I saw as an attachment point for the strut was the hole for those cables....hmmmm.

Anyway, things are still going well!  Can't wait to start the engine...Dan ;)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2020, 09:33:01 PM »
Just getting caught up on your progress and you are making quick work on it . Looks really good so far and the fuselage looks fine to my eye .

I think you need to work on the scaling of that brownie thought , how is the pilot going to eat that when it won't fit his pocket ??!  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2020, 11:51:21 PM »
This Alby is looking marvelous Dan!  Carry on! ;D

Best,

Bob

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2020, 02:20:35 PM »
Thank you Terri and Bob. 

My son has been on a baking rampage and now that he's back at school, maybe I'll lose some weight!

A tiny update...got the landing gear and spreader bar on.  Easy to do with no surprises and excellent fit.  On to the engine tomorrow once I figure out what goes where!

Cheers,
Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2020, 02:27:37 PM »
Looking great up on her legs Dan. This model is looking better and better as you go. I have it printed up and it isn't easy not starting it.

I was bad today and ordered a Martin Baker MB.5 including laser cut formers and a vac formed clear canopy. Always wanted a model of one.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2020, 11:56:27 PM »
Dan, I have the same feeling as sp--seeing your build of this one makes it tough not to jump in and build this one next too!  You have built up a very handsome Alby Oeffag in large scale.  I will have to do one of these two kits from Marco before long.  You have whetted my appetite! ;D  Very nicely done. 

Best,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2020, 12:06:56 AM »
Your Albatros really looks great with the wings and gear in place! Lovely work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2020, 02:57:27 PM »
Thanks SP, Bob and Rick!

An eensie-teensie-weensie update.  Engine in and looking ok.  Next job is the rounded front cowling which is a tulip design to get the correct curves.  Wish me luck!

Dan

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2020, 01:28:44 PM »
I did the nose today.  Started out as a petal design that was dabbed into submission...sort of.  Then I sanded, primed, filled, sanded, primed, filled (x 7,000).  Then I airbrushed with some white, a tint of clear yellow and oversprayed with some aluminum.  It's a start and now will need to be tweaked and dirtied a bit maybe with pastels.  It's as close as I could get to Marco's worn aluminum art work. I think the shape looks pretty Oeffag-ish.

I have no idea why it ended up with a rectangular opening.  Somehow, I'll put a prop shaft in and hope for the best!  ::)

Maybe finished tomorrow...Dan