Author Topic: Oeffag Albatros D-III 1/33rd by Fitter and Repainted by Matt77  (Read 8525 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Re: Oeffag Albatros D-III 1/33rd by Fitter and Repainted by Matt77
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 02:20:45 AM »
Thanks, SP.  Shown in the attachment is one of the issues with a better picture.  I'm not sure where the skin fits in relation to those large angular ears.  Do the skins hug that tortuous outline or do I cut a notch and have the ears protrude?  The next skin is just flush and smooth and shows no indication of slots etc.  I need to see what a real D-III looked like down there!  ;D

Still X-actoing away...

Cheers,
Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2020, 04:48:15 AM »
Dan
I have references. Hold on and I will PM you some drawings.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 03:20:47 PM »
SP...thanks again for the refs!  They will be a real help.

Since I'm still figuring out the cockpit and forward, I decided to try the rear.  I really wanted to see how well things matched up.  You can see in the first picture all the segments with formers and then they are simply butt joined.  I prefer tabs as I can get a better seam that way, but this is what I'm starting with.  Once things dry and are burnished a bit, the seams will be a bit better.

I REALLY tried, Terri!  :P :'( ;)

Plus, you can see that Marco's artwork is pretty much spot on.  The slight misalignment of the clover and heart are likely my doing and are easily touched up.  Loving it!  Well done, Marco... ;D

More tomorrow...Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2020, 04:45:16 PM »
Dan
The separate rudder is a very nice touch and while this isn't my favorite AH scheme, Matt77 sure makes it look good. I think the seams will disappear as they look like they are on panel lines and formers will let you press a bit harder when you emboss them. I am most impressed with your results.

Darlin daughter wanted to see what Brumowski looked like and I did a google search. She got a gander at his all red Albatros with the skulls and said she had to have a model of it. (First interest she has ever shown in models) So I rummaged the stash and came up with, of all things, the dreadful old Glencoe AH Albatros with the Red Albie on the box art. Decals look usable, (more so than some of the parts), so the next plastic I start will be the Glencoe kit. Now that is going to get Old School in a hurry.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2020, 10:45:44 PM »
Very nice work Dan!  That fuselage really looks good.  Have you thought of doing a video of this build, as it's a new kit, or would your Pfalz D.III video cover the same construction issues with a butt-jointed, multi-segmented, cylindrical fuselage?  Probably too late now anyway! ;D  We neophytes out here in paperworld rely on your guidance however we can get it! ;)

I am looking forward to your continuing progress on this beauty. 

Best regards,

Bob

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2020, 02:08:54 AM »
Thanks Bob and SP!

Yeah...I'm just building this one as the Dornier videos take a lot of time.  I will be making a series on the DVa, however.  I'll also post some more tonight but I found some issues, self induced, and have fixed them.  The rear fuselage just looked odd to me and when I added the fin and rudder, it was at the wrong angle.  I then looked at a picture and realized that I added the rear-most former the wrong way!  I assumed it went in vertical and that makes no sense as the whole machine swoops into a nice horizontal flat fan tail.  Once I removed it and put it horizontal, the fin fits great and looks awesome.  Plus, the whole rear fuse looks much better and even the stab fits squarely now!  So no major surgery needed (as I had thought)...you just need to take your time and think a bit!   ::)  Always look at the real machine.

I'll show some shots tonight...stay tuned.

Dan

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2020, 04:48:08 AM »
Here are a couple of update shots with a nicer rear end!

Still more to come...

Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2020, 05:02:40 AM »
Much more gooder. Nice save there Dan.
sp

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2020, 05:22:29 AM »
Much more gooder. Nice save there Dan.
sp

Ditto!  I really like the A-H schemes, and this Alby Oeffag is gonna look superb when you are through with the cutting and shaping and gluing. ;D

Best,

Bob

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2020, 03:34:53 PM »
Hey Guys...

Got a bit more done tonight.  The rear is finished with the tail skid, touch-up, rigging and hinges.  The forward fuselage will still take some head-scratching.

I took a break and made the top wing.  Went together with little fuss.  I included a shot showing how I sandwich a ruler under the leading edge top skin and slowly (very slowly) tease it over the top.  Sort of rocking and bending pushing it further with each repetition.  Then the paper sort of gets a memory into position and gluing is easy. 

Finally, the finished parts thus far.  Looks darn cool...

Cheers,
Dan :D

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2020, 03:35:25 PM »
 :)

Offline smperry

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2020, 04:35:12 PM »
Looking better and better Dan. That is a lot of ribs to cut. I am liking this one more and more.
sp

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2020, 10:57:54 PM »
Just superb Dan!  Tail and wing look perfect, and really highlight this interesting scheme.  As always, Marco's artistry shines through, coming o life under your careful construction.  Very well done!
Thanks for showing us the way. ;D

Best,

Bob

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2020, 03:24:46 PM »
Thank you gentlemen... :D

I got the ailerons built and installed, made the simplified radiator and then finished off the evening session by rolling the last of the main fuselage parts.  Tomorrow I'll try to figure out the fuselage from the cockpit forward.  It may well be a bumpy ride! :-\

Thanks for looking (again),
Dan

P.S. Can you guys wait for that star strutter???!!!!  I can't.  ;D

Offline smperry

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2020, 04:02:33 PM »
Lookin good Dan. I like how the control surfaces can be posed.

"P.S. Can you guys wait for that star strutter???!!!!  I can't."

I'm getting twitchy in anticipation.

sp