Author Topic: Another Berg in paper card  (Read 5392 times)

Offline smperry

Re: Another Berg in paper card
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 01:18:00 PM »
The tailfeathers were assembled and attached and some fuselage details were added. I still need to make and install a proper windscreen. I embossed the ribs and outlines which may or may not be discernible in the photos. The control horns are thin plasticard  and go all the way through the elevators and rudder. I intend to rig it with mono line, twisted anchor loops and brass tube turnbuckles. I predrilled holes in the horns and will have to open them up after applying paint. I figured with stress on the control lines, horns butt glued to the surface weren't going to be strong enough.

There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2020, 02:57:47 PM »
SP...getting better and better.  Love the tails too!

Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2020, 12:14:50 AM »
Outstanding progress, sp!  Good innovative modifications on the control horns, too.  On the windscreen, you might want to wait until the top wing is installed, since the clearance with the fuselage is pretty tight, and you may need to make the windscreen fit the space.  Just a thought (don't ask me how I know ;)). 

Best,

Bob

Offline smperry

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2020, 04:00:46 PM »
Not much done today. I cut out the lower wing panels and embossed the back side to emphasize the ribs. While it doesn't photograph well the ribs and half ribs look good in person, subtle but definitely there. Next time you are at an air show, go up to a fabric covered bipe, cock your head to the side and sight along the top surface....you'll see what I mean.

Photo paper takes embossing very well, however it does not glue together as well as uncoated cardstock, so now I get to pay the piper and try to glue them together evenly.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline smperry

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2020, 04:57:25 AM »
The wing panels are glued, trimmed and the white edges colored. Fortunately they are not yet glued, note the stbd front wing root.

My daughter is most taken with the Autumn Leaf camo. She said Matt77 needs to embed one of those images that only appear when you stare at them. It would be kinds cool to stare at the wing and see Old Goodwin Brumowski peering back through his monocle.

sp

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2020, 05:36:16 AM »
Looking very sharp, sp! ;D  I agree that the Autumn Mottle camo is beautifully rendered, and perhaps Brumowski is in there somewhere, or could be. ;)  Your build is progressing nicely, and it's really neat to see another one of these being built up.  Enjoy!  (I really can't wait to see you immerse yourself in the I'lya Muromets!)

Best,

Bob

Offline smperry

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2020, 06:12:36 AM »
Thanks Bob. I got my DH.2 the other day, but I am holding off until I check out the I'lya when it gets here in a week or two according to Amazon.
sp

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2020, 09:49:20 AM »
SP...you are on fire.  And the DH-2 will be super nice!

Your daughter is wise.  What a great idea!

Cheers,
Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2020, 01:34:06 PM »
Thanks Dan. You and Bob are fanning the flames. I got the U/C parts made up with the wire cores, but the wheels are not working out well. I will have to go to the hardware store and fumble through their collection of O rings tomorrow. This model deserves better wheels than I can  make from just the kit pieces.
sp

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2020, 11:01:56 PM »
sp, don't feel bad about the wheels.  I have used plastics from the spares box or rubber O-rings which I learned from Dan.  I may get more adventurous, but I'm not a paper purist, and just want a nice looking model.  Wheels are tough to do well in paper alone.  Good luck with the O-rings!

Best regards,

Bob

Offline smperry

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2020, 11:38:13 AM »
Bob
I made the schlep into town and proceeded to match up some O rings with the wrong size disc. Doh. Then I raided the Hobbycraft Camel for wheels and printed up wheel covers on typing paper. Worked great and looks better.

Next up is the struts. I will have to modify the wire cores some from what is indicated as my wire is too thick, (0.3 mm), to bend as sharply as indicated. Then I will have no choice but to plan the rigging.

sp

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2020, 12:50:25 PM »
Straight and true, SP.  Looking very sharp indeed...love the wheels.

Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2020, 01:30:41 PM »
Thank you Dan. It was hard to get it straight and true. I had to prop it up exactly how I wanted it, (very easy) and then not touch it for 6 hours while the glue dried, (extremely difficult). This paper stuff is teaching me levels of self control that plastic, resin and balsa never could.
sp

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2020, 11:02:18 PM »
Sp, nice solution for the wheels, combining paper covers with spare plastic wheels.  Looks great!  You are almost there.  See you soon over in Completed Models. ;)  Nice work. 

Best,

Bob

Offline Gene K

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2020, 06:28:04 AM »
I made the schlep into town and proceeded to match up some O rings with the wrong size disc.

There may be a Rubber and Gasket store in Tampa (bigger city than your place) from which you can get any diameter/thickness O rings (as opposed to getting "close enough" from a hardware store).

Next step is to scale that beauty up to about a 17" wingspan (~1/20 scale), print onto tissue, mount the tissue onto foam or balsa, and install Radio Control equipment. Should be a great flyer!

Gene K
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 06:34:56 AM by Gene K »