Author Topic: Another Berg in paper card  (Read 5388 times)

Offline smperry

Another Berg in paper card
« on: August 27, 2020, 12:31:00 PM »
I wanted to wait, but it is simply too hot to work out in my shop, so I started another paper card model. This is another Berg D.I in Autumn camo. My thanks to Marco, (Matt 77), for the file.

The cockpit pieces are hard to figure and the instructions, such as they are, are pretty sparse, so you are on your own in how to use them. Photos below are my idea of what works.

Here is what I think was intended for the cockpit control parts.

And here is the cockpit with the seat installed.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Another Berg in paper card
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 09:20:10 PM »
Following with interest SP  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 10:37:38 PM »
Just couldn't wait, huh sp? ;D  Looking good so far.  Enjoy the build of this fantastic kit.  You can look in on Dan's build log of the Berg too.  It's the same paper kit, but Marco's repaint of that one is in the A-H octagon lozenge scheme.  Keep up the good work!

Best regards,

Bob

Offline smperry

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 02:03:48 AM »
Bob
No I couldn't wait, too hot in the shop is as much an excuse as it is the truth.
I have both your build and Dan's up on the laptop for reference.  Right now I am closing the cockpit tub slowly and carefully to avoid any twists that will mess things up down the road. That involves a lot of gentle holding the parts together until the glue grabs. I had no idea how many different places could itch at the same time when you have no free hands to scratch with. :-)
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline smperry

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 10:38:51 AM »
I ran into a problem I have noticed before. Paper card model designers tend to the minimalist. This sometimes results in a 90 degree butt joint. No problem if you can hold two pieces of cardboard backed paper at exactly 90 degrees to each other while white glue cures. Nope, I couldn't do that either. In balsa flying models this problem is often solved with a length of triangle stock glued in the corner of the joint. I thought about using some 1/16" stock, but a major summer downpour prevented a trip out to the shop. So I adapted and cut the square corners off a piece of card stock and used them to support the pieces at exactly 90 degrees to each other. Much better. Keeping these central structures square and true is critical to aligning the rest of the model.

sp

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 12:42:20 PM »
Ha!  I knew you were bit bad!  This will be a nice one.  Much easier than your "second" model (and the P-26 too, by the way...not many curves).

I am working on my Dornier Arrow but chomping at the bit to do an Albatros waiting in the wings.  It's all I can do to NOT start it!!!!

Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 12:56:02 PM »
Dan
Grit your teeth and try not to start yet...but put a fresh blade in your knife just in case :-)

Here is some progress on the Berg.

sp

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 01:16:51 PM »
That is really looking good SP  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline smperry

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 02:01:40 PM »
Thanks Terri. Marek and Marco deserve the Lion's share of the credit for that. this is a beautiful ki,. my job is to just not mess it up.
sp

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 05:57:08 AM »
Well, been a week or so since I checked in here and Damn, that is Nice! Looking fantastic SP!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 06:27:47 AM »
Thank you Rick. I'm learning. The very end approaching the rudder post is messed up. I tried to shave the edges of a slot for the rudder and just ripped the piece up. I will likely have to print another piece and splice it in to fix it. Paper card rule # whatever: Cut out tiny slots and holes in a piece BEFORE cutting the piece out of the parts sheet.  This stuff may be cellulose, but it ain't the balsa kind. You can't shave the edge. You have to cut precisely with the piece fully supported by a cutting mat on a hard flat surface.  OTOH, it wouldn't be modeling if there were no self inflicted setbacks.
sp

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 01:16:07 PM »
I do think they are getting better and better...nice start!

I may do some cutting on the Albi tomorrow.  Shhhh....don't tell anyone!   :-X

Keep cutting,
Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 01:32:31 PM »
Thanks Dan.
I have about given up on plastic until the hot weather breaks. It is well after midnight before the little portable AC I have even starts to cool down the shop.
Good thing that paper card models are so much fun, I'd really be whining if there wasn't something to mess with. My problem with card models is not starting bunches of them and ending up with dozens of half built paper models, which don't respond well to hangar rash.
sp

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 06:24:16 AM »
SP...

Satan, get behind me!  I yielded to temptation.

It's an Oeffag D-III from the Italian Front supplied free by Marco.  Flat sides!!!!!  Coated with satin and ready...

I'll start this one and THEN do the curvy D-V.

Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 06:49:08 AM »
I have that kit and spaced on it being a D.III. Good thing I already gave in to the dark side and started the Berg otherwise I'd be giving in and starting this one too. Lots of pics please.

Slow work on the Berg. Got the exhaust pipes attached and the front radiator pieces attached. Just that external radiator plumbing and a windscreen to finish up the fuselage.

sp