Author Topic: 1/32 Avro 504 scratchbuild #4  (Read 21597 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: 1/32 Avro 504 scratchbuild #4
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 09:56:14 PM »
Thanks for leaving comments Terri, Frank, Stephen, Rick and SP
The metal cowlings are becoming a typical thing for my model building.  I need to order more metal now as I have exhausted my supply.
The wings are taking more time than I expected as I find small details and mistakes that need attention before moving forward.  I'm building up the wing tips on the upper wings and close to skinning the bottom wings.  Pics will be in the next update.
Reginald has been hanging out quietly.  I should check on him.

Offline Europapete

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 11:21:20 PM »
Looking good Ken. Nice job on the motor. What lathe do you have?  Lathes in the MicroMark catalog have been catching my eye lately, but it will be a steep learning curve to come anywhere near what you do. Regards, Pete in RI

Offline kensar

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 03:16:50 AM »
Hi Pete
I have a Central Machinery 7x10 lathe, a Central Machinery micro mill, and a rotary table for the mill.  The Central Machinery tools are made by several Chinese factories using the same design.  The MicroMark  machines are the same basic design.  I bought mine through Harbor Freight and had it shipped to my door.  I would highly recommend looking at Minilathe.com to get a good feel for what you would be getting with one of these machines.  They may be made somewhat crudely, but if you tune them up using the Minilathe website info, you can hold +/- 0.001" tolerance, which is better than one needs for doing this model stuff.  You will also spend about an equal amount of money on tooling as you do for the lathe itself.  This includes measuring instruments, gauges, cutting bits, etc.  Its an investment, but it has opened up a huge new world for my modeling, and I also find uses for these tools to repair other non-modeling stuff, too.
Before I got my machines, I knew nothing about lathes or mills.  I got started by reading through the Minilathe website.  The website LittleMachineShop.com sells replacement parts and accessories for these machines.  I get metal from OnlineMetals.com.  They have the cheapest prices I have found.  I hope this info will answer your questions.  If you have any more, just ask.  I'm happy to share what I know.

Offline kensar

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2020, 03:04:04 AM »
A small update - still working on the wings.

Top wing with center section roughed out.

Both wings in progress.  I think they are turning out quite nicely.

The tips are built up from laminates of styrene strips.

Reginald has made an appearance.  Claims his zombie-like appearance is due to the effects of high altitude.

I'm not buying it.

Offline Radarman

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2020, 03:27:27 AM »
Ken,
The wings are looking great. This is sure to be another fantastic build.
As for Reginald, I think he's saying, "Are you sure it's safe to fly?".

Kevin

We are all victims of history!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 01:31:16 AM »
I do like your method of wing construction, which is very different to the one I used for the Gunbus solid wings. I am making careful notes from this build.....

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 03:28:24 AM »
Hi Ken, I've been away from the modelling world for a while but hope to be back now.

I love how you made the wings on this one. They look tremendous. I'm hoping to visit the Science museum in London with my camera soon where they have a fine 504 hanging from the ceiling. Hopefully we can solve the riddle of the pulleys at last!

I will follow this with great interest. Watching a master modeller at work is very inspiring!

Bughunter

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2020, 04:30:10 AM »
I really like the wings with ribs and spars, great result! Kit wings may look not that nice.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 12:00:16 AM »
The wings look superb as always Ken! As for Reggie, High altitude and castor oil do have an effect. Looking good!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2020, 01:40:18 AM »
I’m in awe of scratch building Ken,

Will follow with interest.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2020, 09:26:57 PM »
Awesome work Ken. I am always in awe of the talent of scratch builders. Your wings look perfect. This is shaping as a great project.

Have you chosen a colour scheme for the 504K?

Following with much interest

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline kensar

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2020, 09:54:37 PM »
Thanks for stopping by, everyone.  Your comments are always motivating.
I have finished the basic construction of the wings.  Details and attachment points are left to do.  I have also constructed the tail surfaces, laminating embossed 0.010" skins on 0.020" cores.  Pictures coming soon.
Turning my attention to the fuse, which will need modification due to the larger engine than shown on the scale drawings I have been basing the construction on.
The color scheme will be that of C Wilson's 504 inwhich his observer shot down a German Taube with a rifle to claim the RFC's first air to air victory.  It's a plain CDL scheme, with black nose, and only a number on the rudder - no roundels, even.

Offline kensar

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2020, 07:25:46 AM »
I went ahead with the tail surfaces.  They are constructed by laminating a 0.020" card on both sides with 0.010" embossed skins for subtle rib detail that will match the wing pattern to tie everything together.
Here is the core with the two skins.  The drawn rib pattern is a guide for the embossing.

I have cut the ailerons from the wing.  The gray marks on the wing are scratches being filled in by primer/surfacer.  It's not unusual for the knife to slip.  >:(
The ailerons have many small hinges (7 each) I simulated with wire that I used to mount the ailerons.

The ailerons are activated by exposed cables, so pulleys are on the top of the top wing and bottom of the bottom wing.  Here I am parting off one of the pulleys (0.100" diameter).

One pair are pulleys for single cables and the other pair are for two cables.

Here are the wings mocked up with hardware.

Thanks for stopping by.  Till next time...

Offline smperry

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2020, 09:15:15 AM »
I forgot about the external pulleys on the 504. That is really great modeling.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2020, 09:39:48 AM »
Truly remarkable work all 'round, Ken!  I envy your scratchbuilding skills.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence