Author Topic: Pick your own markings for CSM NIeuport RFC Service  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Edgar

Pick your own markings for CSM NIeuport RFC Service
« on: August 13, 2020, 06:19:51 PM »
    Hi Folks
    Here is the box art for our latest RFC Nieuport

And we have picked three markings
  • Nieuport 23. B3459, was flown extensively in combat by Capt Fullard to gain 16 of this final 40 victories including the capture of a Junkers J.I before ending its days in Egypt.
  • Nieuport 23. B1552, flown by Lt.E. `Mick` Mannock, 40 Sqn RFC, (with different top wing roundels (wing repair probably?))
  • Nieuport 23. B1566, flown by Capt W.A. Bishop, 60 Sqn RFC (not sure if we need to add C.5 on the fuselage though)

We are offering you to suggest RFC markings for our Nieuport,
The winner gets a free RFC Nieuport kit

Important rules:
1. No A. Ball's markings
2. No markings starting with a letter A, those are the Nieuports with different engine cowl (early types)[/list]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 06:24:18 PM by Dave W »

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Re: Pick your own markings for CSM NIeuport RFC Service
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 07:27:48 PM »
Brilliant idea Edgar, and very generous - I love it!

I have some ideas, but as a moderator i'll stay out of it. C'mon folks, have at at! This is a fantastic opportunity to influence a major release and win a prize in the process! Wonderful!

Cheers,

BC

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 08:20:57 PM »
Hi all,
Not such an easy task, given the restriction of a Nieuport 23, RFC only and not an 'A' series aircraft.
There's plenty of profiles or photographs around for other Nieuport types, but few and far between for the 23 in RFC service.
Hopefully someone will turn up with a profile worthy of CSM's model,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Sass

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 08:22:22 PM »
Go for the B 3459, after all he brought don a J1. Think it’s a great idea. Built lots of Wingnut Wings ( am I allowed to mention the competition ( deceased) ) but not a Niupeuport so next on my list once I’ve finished backlog. However the completed ones have pride of place in the man cave and half at least have CSM’s crew inside.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 08:38:00 PM »
Go for the B 3459, after all he brought don a J1. Think it’s a great idea. Built lots of Wingnut Wings ( am I allowed to mention the competition ( deceased) ) but not a Niupeuport so next on my list once I’ve finished backlog. However the completed ones have pride of place in the man cave and half at least have CSM’s crew inside.

Hi Saas,
I think the idea is suggestions for a fourth scheme to go with the three CSM have selected,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 09:41:18 PM »
Flight leader A S Shepherd flew B1504 marked 1 C and scored 9 of his 10 victories in it. I think these look pretty good with the fancy fuselage number/letter and the red band

-Patrick

Offline Edgar

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 10:16:33 PM »
Nieuport 17 is possible as well, but that Nieuport should have only regular engine cowl and not horseshoe cowl

Offline Kit

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 10:37:08 PM »
Two 60 SQN suggestions; Nieuport 23 B1575 flown by Alan Scott MC, author of 60 Squadron.  Or B1654 60 SQN - Between 14 June 1917 and 15 July 1917 Keith Caldwell claimed 6 Albatros DIII in it.

Offline Kreston

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 11:37:51 PM »
Nieuport 23 B1597 of 2Lt GD Hunter.  Can be seen in Osprey's Aviation Elite Units Squadron 60 page 84.  Nice set of markings.  Plane was eventually lost when Hunter was shot down and wounded.
I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes. I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments...James McCudden

Offline Vickers

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 11:41:11 PM »
I'll second Kit's motion for the Caldwell option!
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 11:56:29 PM »
How about another Mannock's machine - B3607 with yellow spinner - colour scheme 6 (photo in Page 28) in Norman Franks Osprey Aces No. 33.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 12:23:59 AM »
Although I don't have a reference photo how about something different. As all of the others are aluminum why not do B 3578 of 29 squadron. PC 10 upper surfaces white "B" on the fuselage. ( Eduard Models featured this one in one of their releases profile drawing in their instructions.). Laurence Kert failed to return from a mission in this aircraft in Nov. 1917. There must be a photo somewhere for reference  8)
RAGIII
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 02:52:38 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 02:39:44 AM »
what i'd like to see is Tom Falcon Hazell's ship. B1649 or B3455.

i don't know if this is a '17 or '23 as i don't yet have the Cross and Cockade RFC Nieuport book.

Hazell was a notable ace, 43 claims, 20 in nieuports.

Offline Kit

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 05:09:16 AM »
Next suggestion ; There are enough good ideas here for two whole sets of decals.   Just as with the Italian decals, could it be worth doing a set of decals that could be bought as an extra, with some of these additional options on it?  Perhaps some other nations as well?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 11:50:40 AM »
Next suggestion ; There are enough good ideas here for two whole sets of decals.   Just as with the Italian decals, could it be worth doing a set of decals that could be bought as an extra, with some of these additional options on it?  Perhaps some other nations as well?

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing someone do some Storks and Lafayette Escadrille Markings. That being said I hope it is Copper State.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler