Author Topic: Dual Build: CSM Nieuport XXIII & Roden Pfalz DIII 1/32nd scale  (Read 29358 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Dual Build: CSM Nieuport XXIII & Roden Pfalz DIII 1/32nd scale.
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2020, 11:03:48 PM »
Good start with wood painting!
I have also a rare Pfalz D.III kit from Eduard in my stash. The D.IIIa was often released, but not the D.III
The good thing is we don't need full weapons, since only the fronts of the 08/15 are visible :D

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks Frank, and yes no need for fancy Machine guns on this one!
RAGIII

Great work as usual, Rick, if you refer to the "ledge" meaning the piece you replaced with a white plasticard one, well I saw on all the DIII photos and profile that the housing of the MGs was completely closed and just the end  of the barrel was visible...

Antonio

Yes, the DIII has the guns mostly internal. If Eduard has it correct, I checked MY Old DIII kit,  I need to fix the opening although it is molded correctly for this kit and not a "Short Shot".
RAGIII

Good progress Rick, and as usual all at high speed with no detrimental impact on quality. The wood tones are very good.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen. I have to fill time until the PE arrives for the SPAD rigging  8)
RAGIII

Looking good! What was/is it with the tank on the Pfalz wing? Should it not be there, or will it be replaced by PE or something?

The fuel tank was internal. Only the filler is visible on the wing.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2020, 10:53:22 PM »
 :)

Terri , who is happy that the tank was removed !
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2020, 12:47:24 AM »
:)

Terri , who is happy that the tank was removed !

Thanks Terri. I guess I forgot to post the photo. Before final polishing and priming which is now done.
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2020, 08:11:52 AM »
Going back to My question re the Roden Right fuselage. I am convinced that I did not have a "Short Shot" on the fuselage and that this is common to the Roden Mold. That being said the attached photo shows the Eduard 1/48th DIII fuselage. Did they get it right? I am also adding a photo that Stephen T. Lawson posted on My Face Book Page. I am a bit slow at picking out details so what do you Guys, and Gal think?

RAGIII

Offline smperry

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2020, 08:27:13 AM »
There is no telling since the cabane hides the top of the little peeky outie hole in the photo. Also that could have been something that was a field mod. Mechanics could have opened up the top for easier access to the end of the gun barrel and any attachment hardware or in response to overheating if  the gun was fired too long. Since one model company got it one way and another got it the other, it is possible this was a mod not used on every machine and using different sources both Roden and Eduard got it right. 
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2020, 08:40:17 AM »
There is no telling since the cabane hides the top of the little peeky outie hole in the photo. Also that could have been something that was a field mod. Mechanics could have opened up the top for easier access to the end of the gun barrel and any attachment hardware or in response to overheating if  the gun was fired too long. Since one model company got it one way and another got it the other, it is possible this was a mod not used on every machine and using different sources both Roden and Eduard got it right. 
sp

It is said, do not go to the Elves for advice as they will tell you both yes and No.  ::) I guess the same applies to Modelers  ;D Good Points though SP!
RAGIII

PS: One other interesting thing is that when I enlarged the photo from Stephen I really couldn't make out any Noticiable grooves in the inner fuselage like provided in the WNW DIIIa. What do you all think?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 08:46:28 AM by RAGIII »

Offline petrov27

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2020, 09:43:15 AM »
I feel there would not be heavy grooves on the inside as WNW have in their Pfalz but still some evidence of the wood strips that make up the shell maybe?

-Patrick

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2020, 10:34:16 AM »
Thanks for the great photos. I think I might try just doing some washes to simulate the variances in the interior. I also received a reply from Stephen Lawson indicating Eduard got the fuselage right so I will go with My correction.
RAGIII

Offline petrov27

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2020, 11:20:07 AM »
yeah that is probably a solid way to go.

though the more I look at that Pfalz DVIII shell I wonder if there were fabric tapes glued over each crack where the boards met? Of course maybe that was a later thing that they did not do on the earlier DIII. Or maybe I am just seeing things :)
-Patrick

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2020, 02:03:20 PM »
Ooh, nice to see this pairing, Rick!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2020, 10:07:09 PM »
Rick , on the inside of the fuselage you are correct . There shouldn't be any grooves at all on the inside of the fuselage . Earlier production runs of Pfalz aircraft stripes of cloth covered the joins and doped . On later production run aircraft the taping was dropped and sanded smooth such as on the D.VII . The inside could have been cleared varnished or painted . I really don't think there is any set rule to how the inside was painted at the time so it is open to your own intertupation .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2020, 11:08:24 PM »
Thanks All! Now that My thinking is over I am going to try to do a little Modeling today  8)
RAGIII

Offline smperry

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2020, 11:49:17 PM »
Never a seamless transition. I'm going through the same today restarting work on a model that has sat for a week while I thought, (dithered), about the next step. Enjoy the modeling, always more relaxing than the thinking part.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2020, 12:37:42 AM »
Awesome work as always. I really enjoy your builds and your economy in finishing them. You finish in the time it takes me to finish a step...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2020, 05:03:30 AM »
Never a seamless transition. I'm going through the same today restarting work on a model that has sat for a week while I thought, (dithered), about the next step. Enjoy the modeling, always more relaxing than the thinking part.
sp

I did some construction work on the Nieuport and continued the clean up and slight correction on the Pfalz. The Nieuport interior looks a bit rough but will shape up as more is added and rigging begins...I Hope  8)
RAGIII

Awesome work as always. I really enjoy your builds and your economy in finishing them. You finish in the time it takes me to finish a step...

Thanks Carl!
RAGIII