Author Topic: Takom 1/35 British Mk.1 Female Tank  (Read 13065 times)

Offline gedmundson

Re: Takom 1/35 British Mk.1 Female Tank
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2020, 12:51:34 PM »
Beautiful job with the weathering Gary and on the storage box  :)

Terri

Thanks so much Terri!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2020, 12:56:58 PM »
Gary, you are really a master of masking and painting! Brilliant!
You cut the mask by hand? Looks like a job for a electronic cutting machine ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks Frank - when I laid out the masks on my sheet of glass, I began cutting them out just using a sharp #11 blade. The first colour got painted, masked, then the second colour, etc. Each time I had to make sure the corners got covered, and had to add extra bits of tape to make things line up, and by the time I got to the last colour the pattern had changed a bit. I sprayed a protective coat of gloss on each coat before masking - so the whole process took a week. Then I had to peel all the tape off and see what it looked like. Luckily not too much had to be touched up.

I haven't heard of an electronic cutting machine, but doubt if it would help me if I did have one - I kind of add-lib my way through these patterns as I go :-)

Cheers,
Gary
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 08:04:59 PM by gedmundson »

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2020, 01:00:46 PM »
Breathtaking paintjob. It’s a pity that this kit is not available at the moment. I‘d build a second one, looking at these great pics as Inspiration.
Andreas

Thanks Andreas, glad you like the work. I agree it's too bad the kits of the Mk.1 are hard to find. Out of production for a while and I was lucky to get this one when I did. Happily I found another couple of Mk.IV 2in1 kits which will give me plenty to do when I've finished this one.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2020, 05:16:34 PM »
Looks awesome, Gary.

vB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2020, 05:53:41 PM »
Your usual modelling brilliance! I really regret missing out on this kit - I have to say I don’t really understand the ‘limited’ release approach.... esp if you have issued a modern and generally v. good kit that is the only real option in the most popular scale of a significant machine...

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2020, 09:10:37 AM »

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2020, 09:16:45 AM »
Your usual modelling brilliance! I really regret missing out on this kit - I have to say I don’t really understand the ‘limited’ release approach.... esp if you have issued a modern and generally v. good kit that is the only real option in the most popular scale of a significant machine...

You are way too kind! I did speak with fellow modeller Charlie Pritchett (who works for Takom) and he told me they'd dropped their WW1 line of kits because sales weren't that great. They make more money selling Tigers and Panthers from WW2. When I was involved with Dragon Models it was the same story - anything from the Third Reich sold 10 times better than any other allied subjects combined.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2020, 10:35:34 PM »
I did speak with fellow modeller Charlie Pritchett (who works for Takom) and he told me they'd dropped their WW1 line of kits because sales weren't that great. They make more money selling Tigers and Panthers from WW2. When I was involved with Dragon Models it was the same story - anything from the Third Reich sold 10 times better than any other allied subjects combined.

:'(

P. S. At least I know now that your are that Gary who is mentioned in some of those Dragon instructions...
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2020, 05:45:20 PM »
Thanks Gary - Interesting - obviously they know their business better than me; I always assumed the unit cost of keeping production would be quite low compared to the sunk cost of r&d, ie I could see why they wouldn’t do anymore but thought they would try and squeeze sales out of this existing IP. Hopefully someone will resurrect these moulds! Cheers Matt

Offline TimDEFR

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2020, 08:57:27 AM »
Good evening,

I definitely need to stick to this thread. I like your scratch builds and the "greyish dirt" does such a great job of blending the camouflage, can't wait to see the tank finished.

Best regards,
Tim

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2020, 01:51:11 PM »
WOW, that is really REALLY nice !!  Amazing paint job.  And I really like the weathering.

Paul

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2020, 01:53:39 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Tim and Paul!

I've added pastel chalks to the hull, and gone through a second addition of oil paint wash to emphasize the grease stains from bearings and lubrication points. I've also wet some of the pastel "mud" with thinned Tamiya gloss to give a further dimension to the accumulated muck. So this one is getting closer to looking like it should.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline Edo

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2020, 04:30:06 PM »
looking better and better!
ciao
edo

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2020, 07:21:58 AM »
looking better and better!
ciao
edo

Thanks Edo - hopefully I'll have some figures made for this one and finish it off soon :-)
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2020, 08:27:03 AM »
Wonderful work Gary, looks like you've got the hang of this armour modelling business.Can't wait to see it withh the figures.
Cheers,
Dave.