Author Topic: Takom 1/35 British Mk.1 Female Tank  (Read 13062 times)

Offline gedmundson

Takom 1/35 British Mk.1 Female Tank
« on: August 08, 2020, 06:34:02 AM »
I started to put together a kit that I'd bought to steal the grenade screen for my Mk.1 Male tank from a couple of years ago. So now I'll have to scratch build the screen for this one - which is ok since it'll be a bit wider to accommodate the top of the sponsons as in some photo reference.

Also needing attention is the cabin top over the driver, which is not wide enough for a Mk.1. MR Modelbau in Germany sells a properly sized replacement in resin, but I thought I'd widen the kit's offering myself using some styrene sheet. The hull will have to be put together to size all the panels out correctly, so with the help of some DeWalt clamps I've taken the plunge.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline mgunns

Re: Takom 1/35 British Mk.1 Female Tank
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 12:09:16 PM »
Hi Gary:

As they say at Golden Gate Raceway:  "And They're Off"!  Interesting project you have going there.  Having seen your work at Nanton last year, yes over a year ago already, I am sure this will equal or rival the effort.  I will be following along and look forward to an update.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 05:04:49 AM »
Thanks Mark! I was just about to put up a couple of new pictures when I saw your comments.

The cab was made wider by using sheet styrene and some of the extra bolt/rivet detail included in the Takom kit. The frames for the grenade-screen on top were done by copying the kit's version (which I previously used for my Mk.1 Male) and adding the covers for the sponsons and rear of the hull. The section on the rear of the hull was based on some video references where it can be noted that there was a gap between the larger front section. The mesh was made from tulle fabric, which I've left protruding from the edges as per some references.
The front idlers on the Mk.1 tanks were "toothed" like the sprockets, but since this can barely be seen I didn't bother to convert the extra sprockets which are included in the kit.

Cheers,
Gary

Offline mgunns

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 09:12:46 AM »
Hi Gary:

The intricacies of the bracing for the mesh is a testimony to the dedication to the research to bring this model up to "speed."  Nicely done.   So many variations on each version of the early tanks.   You are off to a great start and I will be looking in from time to time to view the progress.  Outstanding work Gary.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 07:28:50 AM »
Hi Gary:

The intricacies of the bracing for the mesh is a testimony to the dedication to the research to bring this model up to "speed."  Nicely done.   So many variations on each version of the early tanks.   You are off to a great start and I will be looking in from time to time to view the progress.  Outstanding work Gary.

I agree completely Gary! Beautiful work and the added detail is amazing!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 01:41:46 AM »
Mark and Rick - thanks for your feedback!

After removing the cover around the hydraulic lift for the tail wheel assembly (since most Mk.1 tanks in the Somme battle are shown without it) I saw film footage of the vehicle I'm building. "Oh I Say!!!!" is shown in the video clearly sporting the cover at the rear. Taking advantage of having it off, I was able to add some plumbing for the hydraulics with lead wire, and also add the cabling on the pulleys for the steering mechanism. I then re-attached the rear cover.

Just short of the breakable small bits (periscopes, lights, etc.) which will be added after painting,the construction is complete.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline fixman

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 04:23:29 AM »
very nice work ..... and good details... I like it

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 10:00:02 AM »
I'm not much into armour but you guys who build them do some really nice work . I like the mesh , that is cool !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Edo

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 03:53:42 PM »
i can’t wait to see it paited.... going to become another masteripece of yours!
ciao
edo

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 11:57:28 PM »
I made another small addition to the model before I paint it. There were small plates mounted on this vehicle below the two front viewing ports. Hopefully these were added to most of the "A" Co. tanks, because my original plan to build "Oh I Say!!!" has now changed to "We're All In It" because the decal manufacturer - New Penguin - has not got back to me after a month.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Borsos

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 01:04:48 AM »
Awesome project and a great looking tank. I have made the same experiences regarding New Penguin decals. I never received any reaction on my E-Mail  :-\
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 02:31:53 AM »
Thanks Andreas - yes that's very strange about New Penguin, but I must proceed with my project. Kit supplied decal it is...

Just removed my picture of the figures after realizing that the gas mask bag (on the fellow with the hands behind his back) was not used until 1917, so I'll have to modify that!

Cheers,
Gary

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 01:30:09 AM »
Brilliant progress, Gary!
This will be a beaut when finished.

:) vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 11:09:34 PM »
Your added details are really making this one shine! Gorgeous work !
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 04:12:36 AM »
A belated thanks for that Bob & Rick! This one has sat on the bench awaiting paint for a long time. After further research - more modifications were needed before painting.

The periscope holes on the Mk.1 were actually flush with the cabin roof, with a counter-sunk ring just below the roof. Not like Takom have provided (which I copied when I made my roof). So to fix it I needed access to underneath the roof...and so had to cut a hole in the bottom of the model to do this. Due to the location of the hole. it was repairable with scrap plastic and some filler putty. And I added the rivets back to the affected area.

Access hole cut with 3/8" drill bit

properly configured holes for periscopes (to be added later)

Cheers,
Gary