Author Topic: What to do with old models  (Read 3213 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: What to do with old models
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 09:29:39 PM »
What? They don't have kids in NC? Call a retirement home I bet some old farts would love a model or two to look at. Definitely take photos or you will forever kick yourself, but forget the bin. Too  many other people and places that would love them.
sp

While cleaning the Hobby Room yesterday I put a bunch of the 1/48th scale stuff in boxes. I will take them to the Local Hobby Shop Tuesday and see if they want to give them to a deserving Home. If not they will go to the aforementioned Bin  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 02:42:48 AM »
As someone mentioned up-thread, there are built models for sale on Ebay all the time.

Rather than straight up throwing them out, I would set a low starting point for an auction, and let the market dictate the price.

You would probably be able to generate enough revenue to make it worth your while, in the sense that you'd be able to pay for a new kit or 2 with the proceeds, supplies, etc.

I sold a MG gundam from Bandai, completely built, on Ebay.  Only built kit I have ever tried to sell.

I was surprised.  I think it sold for something like $80 US.  I had completely lost interest in it and didn't want to display it.  Selling it sent it to an appreciating home and helped fund something more in my interest range these days.

A win-win for both parties.

If something fails to sell after 2 or 3 auctions (no one bids), chuck it!

LOL

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 12:30:45 AM »
Happy to report that a few of my old kits were taken by a fellow modeller who owns a used kit-selling business. He runs a flea market stall in Edmonton and was able to sell a couple of my old dioramas (and that CF-18) for a token fee. Nice to know they found a new home.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline Jimmy

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2020, 08:32:05 AM »
I give them to a teacher at one of our local middle schools, who in turn gives them to students at the school who might show an interest in them.  I always print out a page for each model with a little information about the plane, its history, where it flew and who the pilot was, if known. 

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2020, 11:21:45 AM »
So after a couple of Months hesitating because it was hard to let them go I fanally took My 1/48th stuff to the Local Hobby Shop. They Gladly accepted them and promissed to give them a home. I doubt they will come to a Good end having seen how one of the employees was handling Loewenhardts Albatros DIII but at least I didn't trash them  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler