Author Topic: What to do with old models  (Read 3258 times)

Offline gedmundson

What to do with old models
« on: August 05, 2020, 03:22:17 AM »
My wife and I have been cleaning out the basement, and stored down there are a few old models in boxes. Some of these I built over 30 years ago, but I have kept them. I went through phases of building jet fighters, Star Wars, and AFV's that never ended up in a diorama. Some never had paint - ones I built with my son when he was about 5 or 6. It pains me to do it, but they will all get binned as we try and make some our space usable. I took a few snaps before saying goodbye...

Monogram 1/48 F-18

MPC Tie Interceptor

MPC Speeder Bike

Monogram 1/48 F-14

Italeri 1/35 Pzkfw IB

MPC ATAT Walker

Very tiny Star Wars collection o'stuff

Cheers,
Gary

Offline ermeio

Re: What to do with old models
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 07:30:34 AM »
well, put them for sale or simply donate them to some charity or kid....

Offline smperry

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 07:38:30 AM »
Find a kid who will be happy to have fun breaking them before eventually binning them. Lots of movie inspired space battle noises in the process.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 09:48:12 PM »
You could send me the Tie Interceptor.   :)

Offline macsporran

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 10:15:28 PM »
A .22 air rifle is my usual way of delivering a respectful quietus
(The modeller's equivalent of a Viking Funeral!)
S

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 05:53:07 AM »
well, put them for sale or simply donate them to some charity or kid....

My thought was the same.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 12:23:34 AM »
A .22 air rifle is my usual way of delivering a respectful quietus
(The modeller's equivalent of a Viking Funeral!)
S
when i was a kid my method was much closer to a Viking funeral, with the demise of one aircraft carrier being almost exactly that. considerable fireworks and some gasoline were involved. it was splendid, big bang, lots of little bangs on the hangar deck plume of flame followed by a column of black smoke.

i suspect a grownup attempting this would be arrested however.

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 02:22:05 AM »
my first experiance with models was a gift from an uncle, a couple of big navy ships, including a carrier.
played with them for several years just as toys, but one birthday that same uncle told me the history of the carrier (Yorktown) and how he made it as a model.
That was my start, wanting to rebuild it and learn more about it. Early carrier aviation is still my passion, even before ww1 aircraft.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 12:08:11 AM »
There does seem to be a market for completed models. They crop up on ebay all the time.

I used to blow mine up with fireworks as a child, well worth the clip round the ear I'd get when my dad found out.

Offline smperry

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 12:41:21 AM »
A buddy and I lit the tailfeathers of a rubber powered paper and stick model and launched it. Started a small grass fire at the crash site which went over poorly with Mom, though not nearly as poorly as when she came home from work to find several hundred spent matchstick rockets in the carport...right next to the gas can for the lawn mower. That definitely got a rise out of her.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 05:26:32 AM »
I have a bunch of 1/48th WW1 and WW2 kits that I am running out of space for. I am thinking of just taking photos and sending them to the BIN!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 05:30:28 AM »
What? They don't have kids in NC? Call a retirement home I bet some old farts would love a model or two to look at. Definitely take photos or you will forever kick yourself, but forget the bin. Too  many other people and places that would love them.
sp

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 04:51:10 PM »
If it was me, I’m afraid to say I’d just chuck them in the bin. That’s happened to all my models!

As a child I used to fill them with talcum powder then shoot them with an air rifle. You get satisfying clouds of smoke on impact!  ;D

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 05:21:57 PM »
Some of my “lesser” models will go in the bin.  By that I mean those which didn’t cost too much, have got faults (broken rigging etc) which are too fiddly to fix when I could be building something else.  Kits I have bought and built as test pieces for painting techniques etc don’t hold great sentimental value.

I would baulk at binning a WNW model, even with broken rigging.. if I can’t fix it, I’ll leave it as is.!

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2020, 07:55:38 PM »
https://images.app.goo.gl/Z7KLFKRuFTu7RnTU7

Or.....maybe send them here? ;D

On a serious note though it is a dilemna as to what to do with them, and following a house move several years ago, many finished and unfinished kits just went in the bin.
This was tough as I knew how much work and superdetailing and aftermarket went into each model. We simply did not have space to take everything or the time to sell or pass them on.

This has left me thinking as to what will happen to our models once we kick the bucket, and whether it is worth shelling out a small fortune for kits which will just be binned in twenty years or less?

Good luck with disposing of them Gary.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 08:04:24 PM by Dave in Dubai »