Author Topic: Gotta Catch 'Em All!  (Read 5362 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Gotta Catch 'Em All!
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2022, 06:01:31 PM »
There's some stirring memories there for sure Brad and your display sure brings back some wonderful modelling times. I bought most of these but had a huge purge when we moved to Australia.

Worse, I had every issue from #1 of Scale Models and the original Airfix Magazine. All gutted with scissors to reduce bulk for moving and only the key articles saved. I now regard this as akin to a modelling war crime!

Your collections are so reassuring to see.

I think it's time you collected every Aurora kit produced...and every Inpact/ Pyro... and....

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2022, 06:03:54 PM »
I think it's time you collected every Aurora kit produced...and every Inpact/ Pyro... and....

Don't tempt me Dave, haha!

I'm turning more into a collector now than a builder... I still refuse to call myself a hoarder.... yet!

Cheers,

BC

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2022, 06:02:17 AM »

If at all possible I'd love a scan of the P-51 racer article from December 1994, Brad, it looks phenomenal! Is it #5 Roto-Finish?

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2022, 05:44:59 PM »
Another 'set' completed - this time the original ESCI boxings of their six WW1 fighters. According to scalemates, the base kits were initially released in the late 1960s by Marusan, and were eventually released in the early 1980s under the ESCI label. They were later re-re-released by ERTL, then released again by ESCI-ERTL in the early 1990s.  This set are all the first ESCI boxings:

They go nicely with the ESCI flying circus boxed set, which was released at the same time.

ESCI was not a brand I saw alot as a child due to where I grew up, but I always liked the box art on these.

Cheers,

BC

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2022, 06:37:21 AM »
Brilliant work Brad! Congrats!

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2022, 06:35:33 PM »
Hi everyone - another 'set' completed - this time, the first issue Revell of Great Britain boxings of their WW1 aircraft line.

Revell issued 12 aircraft in two batches, one in 1963 and the second in 1965:

Abatros D.III - 1963
Fokker DR1  - 1963
Fokker DVII - 1963
SPAD XIII - 1963
Sopwith Camel - 1963
Nieuport 17 - 1963
SE5a - 1963

Sopwith Triplane - 1965
Nieuport 28 - 1965
Morane Saulnier - 1965
DH2 - 1965
Fokker E.III - 1965

The box art was quite well done and evocative, with a selling point being that they were 'frameable'.

These kits have been reissued many, many times, and a good number of them are still available today, nearly 60 years later. Revell certainly got their money's worth!

These boxes are quite small, and very quaint. Even though these came about when my parents were kids, they still make me want to get in and build some :)

Cheers,

BC

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2022, 07:38:42 PM »
Thats a stunning collection Brad and I have over the years made all of them. Sadly none survive but the SE5a was my favourite.

These aged kits still hold up remarkably well to today's standards and are very buildable.

As for collections well you could always target the Inpact/ Pyro pre WW1 kits, the classic Aurora kits...there are so many to choose from.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online PJ Fisher

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2022, 11:09:48 PM »
My father was an Air Force vet and HO-scale model railroader. He got my brother and me started and we were into WWII models primarily.  But what sent me down the ww1 rabbit hole was the old exhibit at the Air & Space museum in nearby Washington DC, and this wee little book that the old Squadron Shop mail order catalogue used to feature for $1:

Then I discovered all those old 1/72 scale kits.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2022, 03:46:54 AM »
Wow Brad - such a trip down memory lane for me. Those kits (along with seeing The Blue Max as a 10 yr old) lit a fire of interest in me of  WW1 aviation & models both. The box art was so enticing and between myself and younger brother we built them all (and saved the box art in the hopes of later framing them :)).Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2022, 10:18:34 AM »
Beautiful, bravo Brad! What a terrific sight!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2022, 05:49:25 AM »
You make me feel old Brad, because I remember those boxes when they were released, and later building all of the models (none of which survive). Most enjoyable for me was the DH 2 - a pusher! and the only model of one for decades...

Stephen.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2022, 12:59:13 AM »
Just read through this again and while waxing nostalgic (not my legs) I stopped at your FSM post. Low and behold who's Spitfire adorns the cover....none other than Robert Steinbrunn's, the 2022 Nationals winner.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 09:55:17 AM by pepperman42 »

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2022, 07:49:20 AM »
Just read through this again and while waxing nostalgic (not my legs) I stopped at your FDM post. Low and behold who's Spitfire adorns the cover....none other than Robert Steinbrunn's, the 2022 Nationals winner.

Steve
I keep saying the world is too small, and our hobby makes it even smaller (pun completely unintended)!