Author Topic: My modeling roots  (Read 1908 times)

Bughunter

My modeling roots
« on: March 29, 2022, 08:10:58 PM »
After Stephen/lone modeller showed recently about his model roots here are mine.

As young boy I started with some free flight models built with my father (I have no pictures). And free flight is not satisfactory. So I wanted to do RC but a RC system was totally out of reach of an young boy. So I decided to build my own RC system.

After education I started with RC helicopters. I'm doing this for some years, of course with much more modern computerized RC systems. The original plan was to do a scale model but I never realized that. With the upcoming drones the regulations are getting stronger. And the main reason to stop that: I had two helicopter types, where the company behind died so spare parts are not available anymore. So I moved to static modeling.

Cheers,
Frank

Edit: removed to deep personal insight
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 04:53:48 PM by Bughunter »

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: My modeling roots
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 10:38:03 PM »
This explains why you like to solder bits together!  ;D

I, too, did RC for a while.  Increasing regulations killed it for me.

Bughunter

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 04:54:41 PM »
Thank you Ken, at least you seems to understand me.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 06:43:46 AM »
That is interesting Frank as my elder brother also started building RC models - boats in his case. He also built RC flying models - and I mean built the lot - RC as well as the models themselves.

In those days (mid 1960's), there were far fewer restrictions on RC equipment and as the power of the systems was low there were fewer problems, although when two people were operating close to each other, they had to be careful that one system did not take over both models! (I have seen that happen!)

I learned my soldering very much later in life (when building the 1/32 Gunbus) - until then it was just another black art for me.

Stephen.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 07:32:02 PM »
Interesting story, thank you for sharing. Undoubtedly, RC models fascinated most of us, sooner or later, at least in our imagination.
Ciao
Giuseppe