Author Topic: Roden announces it is resuming production of WW1 aircraft kits  (Read 21805 times)

Offline rhwinter

Re: Roden announces it is resuming production of WW1 aircraft kits
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2020, 07:55:46 PM »
Concerning the 1 1/2 Strutter: As I wrote sometime ago, I suggest decals for „Ariel“, the plane in which Capt. Beauchamp did two absolutely stunning bomb raids in 1916! One on Essen and the other one on Munich!
Here's a link (scroll well down): http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escadrille/escadrille023_2.htm
For those who don't read french the photos should do.
https://mobile.twitter.com/ron_eisele/status/1032634209381376000/photo/1

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2020, 07:35:39 AM »
I really want Roden to succeed in their endeavor to go back into WWI kits.  I sure do hope that the old connection issues related to wings and struts can be resolved along with the decal issues.  This video review of their recent release of their Stearman PT-17 does cause me some concern regarding the issues with strut connection points and strut length issues.  The Continental engine is lacking in cooling gill detail.  On a positive note, I do like the rib tape detail, which was not a very prominent feature in the past. 

https://youtu.be/-euIbPztsGU
Honor Necessity

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2020, 10:46:00 AM »
I really want Roden to succeed in their endeavor to go back into WWI kits.  I sure do hope that the old connection issues related to wings and struts can be resolved along with the decal issues.  This video review of their recent release of their Stearman PT-17 does cause me some concern regarding the issues with strut connection points and strut length issues.  The Continental engine is lacking in cooling gill detail.  On a positive note, I do like the rib tape detail, which was not a very prominent feature in the past. 

I really don't have a major concern regarding decals. Yes it would be great if they are better but Aftermarket and Painting can do wonders as replacements. The strut attachments and locations are another story. This is the one place I feel it is Imperative for Roden to Improve. JMHO,
RAGIII
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 10:54:29 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2020, 02:38:00 PM »
Yes attachment points and strut accuracy are important
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2020, 05:41:09 PM »
Yep, if they can get on top of that they would really be in business, now that we're used to WNW's standard.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2020, 07:48:53 AM »
  This video review of their recent release of their Stearman PT-17 does cause me some concern regarding the issues with strut connection points and strut length issues.  The Continental engine is lacking in cooling gill detail.  On a positive note, I do like the rib tape detail, which was not a very prominent feature in the past. 

I have this kit in my stash and it is to land on my desk as soon as my current Fee project is completed. The rib detail is very fine, indeed. The interior is quite rich in details. The cylinders of Continental engine might  have been better, indeed. Yet, the strut pins are more than acceptable. N struts have quite solid front pin which enters tightly the hole in the lower wing, the rear leg has just a hinge which enters the raised socket, but the front pin ensures the correct strut alignment with side-sway. The top wing holes are larger in diameter than the top pons but it allows for some flexibility when the upper wing will be mounted. All the pins are quite long. Surely not the WNW but very very  solid looking, much progress in this aspect from Roden. The decals do not seem to be top quality, I see the spurious white rim around the navy blue circles, due to poor register, but I will replace them with custom printed ones as I want to build my model in a somewhat unusual livery (no, not a Polish one, we did not have Stearmans).
All in all a very promising kit and I am truly looking forward to start the build.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2020, 12:01:24 PM »
^^ PrzemoL what about the length of the "N" cabane struts?  In the video, about 8 minutes in the reviewer clearly demonstrates that either the "N" struts are too short or the outer struts are too long.
Honor Necessity

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2020, 04:44:19 AM »
I have just watched the video. Imho the problem is with too large dihedral of the lower wing, this is probably where some care must be taken and a jig based on good scale drawings will be handy. But I will know it for sure only during assembly.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Sosenka

• Fire and Shrapnel
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2020, 01:08:12 PM »
Take my like Mr. Roden!  :)
Maybe you can put some "out of border" versions in your products. ;)

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2020, 12:08:22 AM »
Some Polish markings would be nice. Is your avatar/flag from the 3rd Polish Carpathian regiment? My dad was a Captain in it!
Cheers.
Andrew

Offline Sosenka

• Fire and Shrapnel
« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2020, 06:55:14 PM »
"...Some Polish markings would be nice. Is your avatar/flag from the 3rd Polish Carpathian regiment? My dad was a Captain in it!
Cheers.
Andrew..."

My grandfather fought in Tobruk Siege.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2021, 03:47:34 AM »
Do we know how the SPAD XIII sales are going - I'm developing a passing interest in AVRO 504s

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2021, 10:16:23 PM »
Don’t know how many have been out for sale yet…
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2021, 11:08:11 PM »
So far all I have seen for SPAD sales  are E Bay dealers, mostly in the Ukraine. Prices vary from @ $45.00 US to $63.00 US plus reasonable shipping.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler