Author Topic: Just received my new MENG 1/24 scale Fokker DR1  (Read 2732 times)

Offline James Reagan

Just received my new MENG 1/24 scale Fokker DR1
« on: July 14, 2021, 11:22:22 PM »
WOW what beautiful casting.  I hope some aftermarket people provide some super detail sets  for the kit. I also obtained the Merit SE5a kit which I would like to display with the DR1 Does anyone offer a 1/24 scale figure that can be converted into a WW1 British pilot?  Maybe Model Cellar will upscale one their excellent 1/32 scale British pilots.

Offline Borsos

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 12:30:00 AM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Pup7309

Re: Just received my new MENG 1/24 scale Fokker DR1
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 09:17:10 AM »
WOW what beautiful casting.  I hope some aftermarket people provide some super detail sets  for the kit. I also obtained the Merit SE5a kit which I would like to display with the DR1 Does anyone offer a 1/24 scale figure that can be converted into a WW1 British pilot?  Maybe Model Cellar will upscale one their excellent 1/32 scale British pilots.

Good to know! :)
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline petrov27

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 12:15:07 PM »
I wasn't going to get the 1/24 kit but ended up breaking down and ordering and it arrived not long ago; I must concur that this is a really good kit - the mouldings seem crisper and with less mould lines vs. their 1/32 offering. Aside from some unfortunately placed round depressions (mould pins?) in the cockpit sides it seems one of the best looking kits I have ever seen in the box (we will have to see how it builds!)

Regarding aftermarket, that is a tough one - everything in the kit seems very solid as is - aftermarket is going to have to be really amazing to be needed at least for me. Decals are the exception - the kit decals don't look bad but other schemes and such would be welcome.
-Patrick

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 07:45:15 PM »
The 1/24 scale Meng Fokker Dr.1 is ahead in quality of the 1/32 scale offering. There's a lot in the box.

The jewellery with this special edition is especially appealing, a very nice rendition of a Pour Le Merite.

So I can now claim my wife awarded me with The Blue Max for my birthday :)

Excellent kit and well worth getting.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 05:32:50 AM »
I'm not sure how I feel about the trend towards kits in larger scales. On one hand, I can appreciate the greater opportunity for detailing that the larger scale(s) provide, but, on the other hand, I don't have room to display the finished models or store the unbuilt kits. I never moved up from 1/48 to 1/32, and, as it stands today, I no longer have room to display my finished models. I photograph them and then box them up for storage in the garage.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 08:28:42 PM »
1/32 was my max but the Dr1 is a relatively small kite, and the quality is there. I’d get an Se5a for the same reasons. Cheers, glad this one saw the light of day, now where’s that Roden Spad… ;)
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 08:30:18 AM »
Nice catch, Dave!  :o
Promise me you will build it!

No pressure... lol

Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith