Author Topic: Second Paper Card model: Short 184  (Read 8815 times)

Offline smperry

Re: Second Paper Card model: Short 184
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2020, 04:16:22 AM »
OK, I give.
Parallel double wires in 1:72 scale are beyond my skills. I can do ya unparallel double wires all day long, but they look terrible. What I can do however, is to make thicker stretched sprue and call it wrapped double wires. That's gonna be my story and I'm gonna stick to it. Time to move on with this bird or stick it on the recently thinned out shelf of doom.

Need to spend the rest of the daylight getting the yard picked up and water bottles and gas cans filled in advance of the hurricane headed our way.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline smperry

« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2020, 12:38:58 PM »
The two inner bays are rigged. Careful study of the Datafile drawings show a bizarre arrangement of control horns and cables between upper and lower wing ailerons. It is beyond my ability to sensibly describe, so I will take photos when I work on them tomorrow.

sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline smperry

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2020, 04:45:39 AM »
The outboard bay on Shorts is wierd. Due to the need for folding wings one pair of flying wires is lifted out of the way where the horizontal stabilizer pokes through the outer bay when the wings fold back along the fuselage. How the double hockey sticks am I gonna do that with heat stretched sprue? Answer: Not happening. Albion Alloys to the rescue. Their 0.5 mm brass rod is pretty much the same size as the flying wires on the inner two bays. The two pieces holding the pair of wires out of the way are 0.3 mm rod. Worked like a champ. I will need to take a lot of care when it comes to painting them. If you think the little "suspenders" wires holding the flying wires out of the way is bizarre, stay tuned for the aileron control wires, they take odd to a new level.

sp

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2020, 10:28:09 AM »
That's quite the beast, SP.  Keep her going!

Dan  ;)

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2020, 10:32:51 AM »
Looking good sp!

Best regards,

Bob

Offline smperry

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2020, 10:44:05 AM »
Thanks guys. I sure appreciate the encouragement.

I'm doing one little thing after another and hopefully I'll soon be running out of things and calling it done.
sp

Offline smperry

« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2020, 10:07:04 AM »
Finished.
Added the floats and finished all the rigging. It is a real collection of warts and newbie mistakes, but it represents some time on the learning curve.

I believe my scale in paper card is going to be 1:33. 1:72 is going to be for Spruce Gooses and C-5A Galaxies, otherwise it is too small for me to manipulate.

I have learned about most of the things that initially piqued my curiosity about paper card models. I received a great deal of help from Dan and Bob our forum Paper Card Masters which I greatly appreciate. I am awaiting the arrival any day now if a paper card DH.2 and in a couple, three weeks a 1:33 paper card I'lya Muromets. Both of which rank high on my favorite airplanes list.

If anybody out there is sitting on one of those Tom's, I think it was, 1:48 Short 184 kits. Talk to me. I have some interesting kits to trade. Surely, if you haven't built it yet, what's the chance you will? Good intentions aside, it's likely to sit, why not trade it for something you'd like better and be more likely to build. You really don't want to rig that beastie...now do you?

sp

« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2020, 02:23:13 PM »
SP!  SP!  SP!
That turned out just great.  I'm so glad you stayed with it.  It looks really nice.  It's hard to believe that it's your second model.  Can't wait to see that DH-2. 
Dan

Offline smperry

« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2020, 02:49:58 PM »
I'm hanging out near the mailbox in case the DH.2 comes and the Postperson decides to fold it up to fit in the mailbox. This was bought from an individual and I don't know if he put DO NOT FOLD on it or not. The I'lya is coming from a paper card model company and I assume it will be appropriately marked, (Hope the mailperson reads Russian).

Glad you like it and thank you for the kind words and support. It looks good in the case as it balances the Paul Schmitt PS.7, another 3 bay high aspect ratio wing biplane.

I'm glad I worked out how to deal with paper struts so now that won't be an obstacle on future builds.

These card models are highly addictive, but I do not foresee giving up other types of models, just adding paper card to the list of media available. I have 3 started and stalled plastic kits hanging around my bench and I need to finish at least one of them before I indulge myself with more paper.

sp

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2020, 11:36:28 PM »
Looks fantastic sp!  Way to persevere through your learning curve.  I agree with Dan--hard to believe it's only your second paper kit, and what a challenging subject in 1/72!  I'm sticking to 1/33. ;D

Very well done!

Best regards,

Bob

« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2020, 10:28:46 AM »
Looks great in the case!!!

I too have some other models I need to finish before making more paper.  They are just so darn much fun, though.   ;D

It'll be fun to see whatever your next model is and in any medium...Dan

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2020, 11:30:41 AM »
For your second one SP it turned out really well indeed . I would be proud that's for sure  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline smperry

« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2020, 12:10:51 PM »
Thank you Terri, I wanted a Short 184 badly, so it was fun in spite of the learning curve.

Dan, I went out to the shop with every intention of finishing some started plastic. I was dripping sweat within 5 min. I went back in the air conditioned house and in spite of every good intention, started cutting cockpit pieces for the Berg. Work in the shop will have to wait until the weather breaks.

sp

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2020, 05:59:24 AM »
Simply Stunning results SP. Especially considering you tackled this complex build as your second Paper kit! You have My respect for a superb build and your quick learning curve!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline smperry

« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2020, 06:29:12 AM »
Thanks for the compliment Rick. It has been a learning curve indeed.
sp