Author Topic: Roden 1/72 Sopwith TF.1 Camel Trench Fighter - Finished  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Early Bird Fan

Roden 1/72 Sopwith TF.1 Camel Trench Fighter - Finished
« on: July 06, 2020, 10:04:04 AM »
I usually tend to have 2 kits on the go at once so if paint is drying on one i've still got something to do, i haven't achieved much of anything recently due to being back at work but i have made a start on my Camel trench fighter from Roden.

Engine was painted with chrome silver and then a dirty wash on top which was a mix of black and burnt umber for an oily effect, the washer is 20mm diameter just for a bit of scale  :D

Interior parts are all painted, there was no decal for the instruments so i added a few blobs of paint. The white ran a bit which is a shame but i don't think it's really gonna be seen once in place anyway.

Seat and fuel tank assembly, the top tank is currently just held with a small blob of blue tack as i'm not 100% on the fitting location. There's 2 lugs on the top of the lower tank but 4 holes in the base of the upper tank so it's going to sit offset in either the forward or rear position. Pics i've seen of the real thing show the tank sitting forward the same as i currently have it but i'll wait until i know for sure before gluing it. Have to say that the instructions are a bit vague at best, especially with where the interior bits actually fit so a bit of trial and error might ensue.

I didn't go too mad with the interior paint, just enough to hint at a wood effect, it's 1/72 and the cockpit hole is tiny so hardly anything will be seen once all closed up.

It took a lot of fettling to get the wings to fit anywhere near square and flush with the underside, same for the half moon infill piece at the front. I'm not fussed about the gaps in this area as there's a plate which goes over the top that the downward facing guns go through so it will all be covered. Not much i can do till some 1.5mm drills turn up so i can drill through the wing base for said guns, reckon it's best i do that before fitting the interior  :D

Just a shot for scale purposes with a cocktail stick, it's a tiny little thing  :D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 07:48:49 AM by Early Bird Fan »

Offline RAGIII

Re: Roden 1/72 Sopwith TF.1 Camel Trench Fighter
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 10:20:55 AM »
Awesome start! The engine ,seat, and panel look great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 10:58:37 AM »
OMG!  That is so tiny! 

Excellent work so far, mate!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 10:36:33 AM »
Will be following long on this one  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline IanB

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 12:24:30 AM »
Nice start, it is certainly tiny though!

Ian

Offline RichieW

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 05:07:15 AM »
Great start, I loved your BE2c so will follow this very keenly. I'm running out of space for 1/32 kits so might have to see if I can cope with the true scale still.

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 03:49:38 PM »
Great start, I loved your BE2c so will follow this very keenly. I'm running out of space for 1/32 kits so might have to see if I can cope with the true scale still.
i'm mainly building in 1/72 becuase of shelf space and i want fo hone my skills before attacking a bigger more expensive model. 1/72 is great but i look at you guys building the 1/32's with envious eyes due to the extra detail available and not having to deal with too many tiny parts

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 06:25:08 AM »
You slipped this in when I was away so I have missed this until now. An interesting choice of subject - never mind the size it is the quality that counts! You have made a cracking start - I will follow further updates with interest.

Stephen.

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 04:26:11 PM »
been a while since my last update, work has got in the way and i haven't had the time or brain power that this build needs. I have however been making slow but steady progress on the camel...

It took a bit of lining up as there's no 'training wheels' but the cockpit surround and rear upper section are now on and the seams were pretty good so no need for any filler.

I then applied my usual white primer followed by 2 thin coats on the front engine section mainly so i could get some paint on the arear behind where the engine sits.

I could then fit the engine and cowling, i'll apply the last coat of grey once the main fuselage section has been painted as i'm expecting a bit of paint seepage due to the awkward masking required.

Next step was to pre drill the rigging holes which pretty much went without any issues but didn't really get any pics of them. The first coat of my version of PC10 (referred to as WW1 green on the box) has been applied, as usual this was put on with a hairy stick and is oil paint, having read that you can get a good green from mixing yellow ochre and black that's what i tried. I think it's a nice colour and well within tolerance of being the correct shade (if there is such a thing), one more coat should see this part of the paint process done then it's on to the wood around the cockpit area

In other news i turned 24 again a couple of days ago and landed these 2 as pressies, the Gotha should keep me quiet and outta trouble for a couple of months  :D

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 07:41:25 PM »
Very fine work on that tiny Camel.
Having built two of these some years ago I can only say, they are pleasure to work on, probably the best Roden's effort in their history.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline fruibal

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2020, 04:23:28 AM »
I plan to build a 1/72 trench fighter camel too, and will be following closely your postings

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 04:46:33 AM »
Excellent progress! I like the PC10 color. I often use that mix when painting Figures in Olive Drab or doing Fokker Streaking. A touch of red takes it to the greenish brown range.Your Camel is looking great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 11:27:52 AM »
Making some really nice progress on this little guy  :) I do hope you share the Gotha build  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 03:58:06 PM »
Excellent progress! I like the PC10 color. I often use that mix when painting Figures in Olive Drab or doing Fokker Streaking. A touch of red takes it to the greenish brown range.Your Camel is looking great!
RAGIII
thanks and thanks for the paint tip, any particular shade of red? I don't currently have any red in my collection but am planning on getting some so would be good to know i'm getting the right one  ;)

Making some really nice progress on this little guy  :) I do hope you share the Gotha build  ;)

Terri
I will...warts 'n all  :D

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 08:20:10 AM »
Good to see that you are making excellent progress on the Camel build. That is turning into a very neat little gem.

I have a started Roden Gotha G V/Va in the roof - I will follow your build because it might just persuade me to see if I could finish it.

Stephen.