Author Topic: Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire Mk. IXc  (Read 4940 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire Mk. IXc
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 06:52:33 AM »
I have been away Lance and had missed this until now. I fully understand why modellers are so taken with the Spitfire and looking at the images of your build i can understand their excitement even more. You really are making a super job of it - the seat belts in particular look real. Very impressive detail in the cockpit which hopefully will be visible when the model is finished. I will be keeping a closer eye on this in future.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2020, 12:13:16 PM »
  Aaronc, thank you for this. I will be checking it out, the trailer is wonderful, nothing beats the growl of a Merlin!
  Stephen, thanks for your comments as well and welcome back. You are correct, the beauty of Mr. Mitchell's design and the machine just never fades!
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:05:26 PM by lcarroll »

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2020, 09:58:31 PM »
Your Spitfire's looking fantastic Lance. A great kit that deserves to be made and your cockpit is so realistic.

The seat belts are so realistic!

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 12:20:30 AM »
Just catching up on all of the Off Topic builds and Your Spitfire is looking Fantastic! The Tamiya kit looks Beautiful and is certainly enhanced by your skill!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 05:12:40 AM »
Thanks Rick, (and belatedly to Dave!) I've got the wing and fuselage together and have just started the Merlin, slow but going well and enjoyable as a bonus. I'll get a few photos shortly. :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2020, 03:52:13 AM »
Hey Lance - just happened to find this thread. Great job on the cockpit. I'm watching with keen interest since I picked this kit up in the last year or so and am waiting for an opportunity to start it. You can't get a more beautiful looking aircraft than the Spitfire Mk. IX I always thought.
Regards,
Gary

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2020, 05:57:04 AM »
Looking great so far, Lance! I'm working on my "Covid-Corsairs" in 1/72, and it's interesting how I miss some things of building biplanes, and others not.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2020, 11:46:57 AM »
Gary,
     Thanks for commenting, and you won't regret having picked this one up, it's a beautiful Kit and, as you say, they don't come much prettier if at all! I've also popped for their Mk.XVI "Low Back" Version as I didn't want to wait until it's no longer available. I hope to get onto that once the Triplane frenzy abates!
Jeroen,
     As the old saying goes "A change is often as good as a rest" and I am enjoying this project. I don't think we realize how delicate our "stringbag" models are until we tackle a much more robust subject!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2020, 09:52:12 PM »
Picture's Lance ... we want pictures !  ;) We need our fix man ...come on hook us up  ;)

Sounds like you are really enjoying the build so far  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2020, 08:50:16 PM »
Jeroen,
     As the old saying goes "A change is often as good as a rest" and I am enjoying this project. I don't think we realize how delicate our "stringbag" models are until we tackle a much more robust subject!
Cheers,
Lance

Definately true! Besides my Corona-Corsairs I'm working on a 1/32 Trumpeter A-6 Intruder, and it's huge! One thing I don't miss when doing "stringbags", and that is ordnance. My A-6 will be loaded up with 18 500lb bombs, and the engineering on those is truly awful. I'll have to stick with them, as the Eduard bombs come at around 20€ for 6 pieces, and I need 18!

When I have a bit more to show I'll open up a build log if there is any interest in a flying tadpole ;-)

Jeroen

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2020, 09:18:15 AM »
   I finished this project today after over four months of slow and oft interrupted Building. It is an excellent Kit and I enjoyed the Build immensely.
   I elected to install the magnetically attached engine cowlings permanently as, Like several of Wingnut Wing's kits, any tiny error in the fuselage frame will make the fitting of the cowlings horrible, and I fell into that trap!
   I elected to apply a "medium" amount of weathering as this Squadron was deployed right behind the Normandy invasion and operated from temporary airfields all the way to Germany at wars end. The model has loads of after market additions: resin wheels and exhaust manifolds, fabric seat belts, Brass gun barrels, and EagleCal Decals to name a few.
   I had intended to do a complete Build log for this however got so far ahead after starting I never went back to update!

The panel detail on this model is the best I've seen:

...... and what's not to like about a Spitfire!?

I really enjoyed this Kit, and the change of pace. Highly recommended!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2020, 10:22:10 AM »
Outstanding Lance! And I love the subtle weathering you have achieved here. Those Tamiya 1/32 kits are a joy to work with.

I'm really impressed with how you have painted and detailed this model, just world class work there!

cheers

Dave W
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2020, 11:17:40 AM »
Wow Lance - I love this! Like you say - what's not to like about a Spitfire. Superb painting and weathering - and the buttoned-up cowling has it looking sleek as a Spitfire should. Beautiful job indeed.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2020, 12:30:59 PM »
Dave, Gary,
   Thanks for the nice comments, very much appreciated! It is indeed a great Kit and, although pricey, provides a wonderful modelling experience as will the follow on Mark XVI. This was actually my first experience with a Tamiya Kit, I'd really like to see them "dip their toes" in the WW.I Aircraft pool! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline FAf

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2020, 10:54:46 PM »
Lovely looking Spit! I've got a half built one just waiting... Maybe now's the time?
/Fredrik