Author Topic: Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire Mk. IXc  (Read 4877 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire Mk. IXc
« on: July 02, 2020, 07:19:46 AM »
    Having just completed a long Build of the Wingnut Wings Halberstadt C.VI I decided to take another foray into a different topic area. A member of my local club had brought Tamiya's newer 1:32 Spitfire to a meeting and I was greatly impressed with the Kit quality and particularly the exquisite detail, I rate it of the same quality as Wingnut's in detail and engineering. After checking several extremely positive Build reviews online I was sold and took the plunge.

The Kit markings include that on the Box Art, WComd Johnnie Johnson's iconic "JEJ" when he led the all Canadian Wing based in Kenley. After a search online I located markings for one of his Squadron Commanders, a boyhood hero of mine from Regina Saskatchewan where I spent part of my childhood, Squadron Leader Wally McLeod. He was a 21 victory ace and was KIA in Sept of 1944 on a Fighter Sweep with Johnson and members of his squadron 443 RCAF.

It's taken several long sessions to get the cockpit module almost completed. I won't be doing a full Build Log however will post photos and updates along the way.............  who doesn't love a Spitfire!?

Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire Mk. IXc
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 04:20:58 PM »
Excellent news, Lance!
I will be following along with interest.

Cheers,
Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 09:51:47 PM »
Following along with much interest Lance !

I have already tackled this , you are in for a treat  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 11:21:54 PM »
   Thanks for the encouragement von B and Terri. Any pitfalls you can brief me on Terri??
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 12:49:00 AM »
Lance, you want to build it?
A kit from Tamiya is a "shaking kit": Open the box, add paint, glue and water for the decals, shake vigorously - done! ;D ;D
At least that are the rumors about the legendary quality.

Have fun with the new project,
Frank

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 01:18:01 AM »
Lance...oh yeah, who doesn't love a Spitfire?...this is great...I've been immersed in Spitfires, Hurricanes, Churchill, the Battle of Britain for several weeks now...obscure documentaries, books....what a treat this is going to be..and the Spitfire Mark IX in the bargain...in your masterly hands?...as the kids say...awesome.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 02:55:46 AM »
Frank,
     Actually I was very tempted to add some wiring to the cockpit but resisted the urge as it will not be easily seen. The engine, however, looks like some additional wiring and plumbing may have to be considered. As for the quality, so far it's very impressive!
Doug,
    A legendary subject for certain. I was tempted by the Mk. XVI Version but thought it had not served in any Canadian Units however, after several sessions of searching the net, I discovered that two of our Squadrons used them from just after D Day until the end of the war. Now I'm tempted to add one to the pile, that "Bubble Top" canopy is mighty attractive!
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 05:23:56 AM by lcarroll »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 05:48:14 AM »
   The cockpit module is complete, here's some photos from the building and then completed phase.  The instrument panel is a "sandwich" type assembly with regular, clear plastic, decals, and photo etched sections.

The seats were completed with an After Market Sutton Harness set from HGW. A very nice touch are the two PE Armor plates for behind the seat:

The small components are numerous and well represented, PE 2 dimensional components are minimal:

The area behind the seat is also well detailed:

........ and last the completed module ready for insertion into the fuselage before closing it up:

I've not yet decided whether the engine will be next or to just follow the Instruction Booklet and do the wings and empennage.

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 12:34:52 PM »
Really nice start in pit Lance . One of the positive with this kit is the cockpit isn't over run with pointless PE . The only thing to really watch for is fitting the engine/frame to the fuselage . If this isn't perfect the cowling panels will not fit right . Also make sure that any detail you add to the engine bay doesn't interfear with the panels . Other then that the whole build went smooth for me  . I also built their Mustang with another in the stash and their Corsair with another tuck away keeping the other spitfire company . I love these kits , very well engineered and packed with detail .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 12:18:14 PM »
   Thanks Terri. That's quite an endorsement of this series of Kits, two of each! I can certainly understand the attraction though, if this Kit is an indication they are pretty special!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 10:18:15 PM »
Lovely work Lance.!

Got me thinking, is there a market for kits in this scale, perhaps even 1:16, which only build the cockpit module.?

I know there are a few about which just make engines, but there can be so much detail within a cockpit assembly and of course they would take up much less shelf space than a completed model.  I often remark that the frame/cockpit assemblies of the WNW kits could standalone as models.

Of course, scratch building is always an option too:.

Just a thought - don’t want to detract from your excellent work on this Spit’...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 11:57:21 PM »
Thanks for the comments Ian. I recall a kit of a detailed Instrument Panel (I think it was a "109") years ago but nothing like you describe. Wingnut Wings of course were planning the forward nose section Kit of their Lancaster before their shut down which I believe would have sold very well. I speculate that a small line of cockpit models in a large scale like 1:24 or 1:16 would market well, not a bad idea!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RichieW

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 07:57:02 PM »
Following this with interest, I always meant to build one of these but was holding out for a 1/32 Mk.1. I must admit I'm feeling the need to build a Spitfire and a Hurricane to mark the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

I like your comparison with WNW engineering. I have a feeling that the WNW team set out to equal and even surpass the quality of Tamiya's kits.

Richie

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 11:45:54 PM »
Richie,
     The further I progress on this project I'm tending to regard the Wingnut Wings standard as just slightly higher then this Kit, but not by much! I have dry fitted the fuselage halves and the seams are virtually invisible!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline aaronc

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 12:55:58 PM »
Not sure if you have seen this and I'm still pretty much a lurker here but I watched this yesterday,..and ran into your post just now. It's a very nice documentary. If you have it available it is worth the watch....I saw it on Netflix.  Following along on your build  ;)  -Aaron

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5913184/