Author Topic: Toning Down Lozenge Camo  (Read 1483 times)

Offline GazzaS

Toning Down Lozenge Camo
« on: June 30, 2020, 11:06:00 AM »
Over at Farcebook, I was directed to look at the WNW hints and tips section for toning down the lozenge decals.  There's some useful stuff there....  but not how to tone down lozenge decals successfully.

Anyone got any success stories...  with pics?

Thanks!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline smperry

Re: Toning Down Lozenge Camo
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 11:14:29 AM »
What shade base color you use can tone them down some depending on if the loz is on clear or opaque backing.Tinted future sprayed as a gloss coat can also tone them down some. What color tint is kind of experimental. I did it with night loz and an almost inky purple tint. It definitely toned it down. Others likely have their own recipes. Best to test the most likely sounding ones and see what works for you.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 12:56:50 PM »
Gaz,

I've used a very thin mix of a neutral color to tone down both Wingnut Wings supplied Lozenge and also the Aviattic versions. My favorite is a very thin "Filter" of thinner (Tamiya's R-20) with a few drops of Tamiya X-55 Deck Tan for both upper and lower Lozenge as on the LVG here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9771.0

A very light misting will do the trick, if it's still too bright mist it and let it dry again.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:22:08 AM by lcarroll »

Offline smperry

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 01:32:17 PM »
That deck tan tint nailed it on that Loz. Misting is the key as it is easy to over do it.
I have that kit and have already done an LVG C.VI in 1:48. I really like this plan
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 03:40:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys!  Rick, that LVG came out excellently.  It would be handy if the WNW decals were clear, so that we might take advantage of pre-shading.  I'll have to mix up something pale to do the job.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 05:30:18 PM »
A light misting of tan / cdl works, but I also follow this up with some smoke highlights over the ribs; this helps to pull the look together.

Cheers,

BC

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 05:37:49 PM »
Thank you, Brad!

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 11:16:25 PM »
 Great tip on the thinned deck tan misting, and since we've solved the problem posted in this thread, I just have to say: Brad, that diorama is fantastic!  Can we please see more, by link or otherwise?

Best regards,

Bob

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 05:51:49 PM »
I used a mixture of dark earth and red-brown (kind of a brick brown) (0,5 part of each) with lots of clear gloss (9 parts) to get here:

This is Aviattic lozenge, but I didn't to any preshading on the top (just some pre-weathering).
The fuselage was deliberately covered more, as I could see that on more than one picture.
It was later  filtered with oils and weathered some more after the decals (weight table etc) were one.
probably seen before, but I arrived here eventually:

[edit]I used lots of lozenge decal scaps to try out first before committing to my model, both for colours and also how many coats I needed before I got something I liked. Once on the model there really isn't an easy way to undo...

Jeroen

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 07:25:16 PM »
Thank you, Jeroen!  Love your Fokker!  It came out very well!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 11:31:46 PM »
   That darkish brown or red over glaze looks very much like the effect on the "Knowlton Fokker" (D.VII) in Canada Jeroen. I've only seen photos of it myself but it really looks like a good match to me, you've captured it very well.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 11:27:40 PM »
When I built the WNW model I used klear tinted with a drop of brown acrylic paint, in 3 or 4 light coats.  The final cost was brushed until almost dry with a fine wide brush, resulting in a fabric effect.  Apologies for the way photobucket displays the pics, the original build thread isn’t here anymore.