Author Topic: SPAD XIII 1/33rd by Luis P. Igualada  (Read 5917 times)

Offline rhallinger

Re: SPAD XIII 1/33rd by Luis P. Igualada
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2020, 07:23:08 AM »
Dan, I really like the idea of a video on the Arrow treating it like a plastic kit.  That would certainly broaden the horizon for paper kits, and might actually be very beneficial for those renderings that are not on par with Marco's repaints--I couldn't bear the thought of marring one of his kits with my own scheme! :o

Best,

Bob 

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2020, 02:57:51 PM »
I'll keep you posted, Bob! I agree that putting paint on Marco's renderings would be like finger painting over the Sistine Chapel.

I got her all rigged and started on the last details like the wheels and tires.  You can see them initially sandwiched and then sanded and primed for their final treatment.  Then I couldn't resist showing it on it's wheels...just sitting and not done. 

Some more stuff like aileron linkages on the bottom wing, touch-up painting and delicate airbrushing around the control surfaces but all is at hand.  It'll be posted tomorrow on the completed area.

Another neat-oh paper model and the best fitting, thought-out and engineered paper model I've built to date especially considering the complexity.  It's like a WNW kit in that it looks daunting but goes together so well and makes the modeler look really good.

Cheers,
Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2020, 11:26:02 PM »
Fantastic SPAD Dan!  Looks like a well-built plastic kit. I'm glad to hear it went together well for you.  I suspect that's as much a testament to your paper carving skills as to the kit's design.  I also suspect I could find a way to foul it up, considering how the Berg has been fighting me. ::)  Very well done my friend!

Question: What motivated you to go back to the balsa wheels after using O-rings on the Pfaltz D.III?  Did you turn the balsa wheels on your Dremel like the Nie.24?   

Best,

Bob

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2020, 02:14:00 AM »
Wheels:  I just wanted try that again since 99% of the kit parts have worked as advertised.  These balsa wheels worked better than others I've tried since I followed the directions and added the extra rings that make up the tires.  That gave me a good stop to sand toward.  On the Nieuport and others, I've just sandwiched the balsa and then try to make a nice tire.  It's harder that way.

Plus...I had no appropriate o-rings, it was 9PM and I really wanted to see it on it's legs!  So partly a kit fidelity question, part laziness and part lack of patience!  Kind of like all my models...

Cheers and thanks for looking.  You will beat your Berg guaranteed.

Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2020, 10:51:19 AM »
Your build of this SPAD has been a joy to follow and inspired Me to keep plugging aqay at My plastic version.!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Gene K

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2024, 10:31:25 PM »
I was just reviewing some of my favorite builds and wanted to give another thanks for this great thread.  The kit's artist, Luis, is definitely at the top of the paper model designer class. His attention to accurate detail, as well as his precise engineering make all of his paper kits special. Unfortunately he is too short on time (artist and teacher among other things) to post details on how he designs and builds his spectacular creations.

I hope you start another Luis model ... soon.  8)

Gene

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2024, 08:16:33 AM »
Thanks, Gene!  I too want to start another one.  I have a triplane that may be fun to build.  We'll see!
Thanks for looking at this old build.  Still looks darn nice on the shelf...Dan

Offline Gene K

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2024, 12:13:03 AM »
I have a [Luis Igualada] triplane that may be fun to build. 

I hope you do the Triplane so I can follow along. I have all six of Luis' Little Fokkers, and have started s couple of them. He did a great job sorting out and providing the detail differences between the F.1 and Dr.1.

Gene K

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2024, 08:10:22 AM »
Hi Gene...

It will either by my next one or the one after that!!!

Dan