Author Topic: SPAD XIII 1/33rd by Luis P. Igualada  (Read 5672 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Re: SPAD XIII 1/33rd by Luis P. Igualada
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2020, 03:34:08 PM »
Thanks, Rick...I've only built the old 1/28th of old.  It looked ok to me...but I was 8.  ;D
This is definitely a step up!

Tonight as explosions ensue in the background...sounds like some folks are going over the top...I got the top wing done.  You can see the ribs and spars skeleton and then the steps of skinning.  One shot shows that the trailing edges were a bit off.  This is typical and means you need to coax the paper a bit more or, in my case, sand a tad off of the top of the ribs and maybe cut a tiny bit off from the leading edge of the ribs to allow the paper to make it all the way back there.  I use a ruler to tease the paper over...takes multiple attempts and care is needed.  I never pull it over in one go.  Recipe for disaster!  But patience wins in the end!

A straight and flat top wing! :D

Happy 4th for you fellow US folks!
Dan

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2020, 03:14:32 PM »
Evening All!

A bit more done tonight.  Instead of working on the lower wings, I decided to try to make the prop as it's an interesting design I have not encountered in paper before.  I was dubious at best but I'll be danged...it's actually shaping up!  Usually, you make the blades either separately and plug them into a hub or you basically make a flat prop and then I twist them to an approximate helix.  As you can see in the first picture (from my computer plan...sorry) it starts out as just two whole serpentine parts. 

I started by pre-shaping the blades a bit by making them curved on their surface and did the same near the hub.  Then I carefully edge-glued the mating tips on one side...maybe a 1/3 of the way down the length...trying to make sure it didn't glue "flat".  Then I did the other tip and slowly edge-glued toward the hub waiting for the previous step to dry before twisting a bit and continuing. I did each side alternately and made sure no odd bending was taking place.

I ended up with the final shot.  It still needs some edge painting and maybe some more twisting and I have no idea how to put in the hubs but I'll play with them tomorrow.  I'm amazed at how the basic shape was realized.  Wouldn't have thought it possible with the starting point.  The designer is a genius...or the computer program used is amazing!  ;)

Oh!  For a break I also made and installed the ailerons.  Top wing looks neat...I am continually amazed by this design.

More tomorrow,
Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2020, 09:00:33 PM »
Nice wing and prop Dan!  Your efforts continue to inspire.  Paper props still make me nervous. ;)
Good luck with the hubs. 

At your speed, this one is nearing the finish! ;D

Best,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2020, 12:39:12 AM »
I have No Real idea how you managed that prop but it looks terrific! I Love the wing!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2020, 07:35:45 AM »
Thanks Bob and Rick!  And Rick...the prop actually turned out and I'm still trying to figure out how!  :o :o

After the prop dried, the "hole" was kind of oval.  I found that the prop hub was almost exactly the same circumference as a Prisma Color pencil so I stuck it on and let it sit for awhile.  When I took the prop off, the hole was pretty dang round.  Then I just glued in the hub...Bob's Your Uncle!

I'll work on the bottom wing tonight...Dan  ;)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2020, 12:21:37 PM »
The Hub came out great. Good Idea in problem solving using that pencil to round out the opening! The prop looks Terrific in place!
RAGIII

Offline smperry

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2020, 01:04:27 PM »
Looks better than the wooden ones I have been carving on. Great way to take advantage of the properties of the paper. Excellent work Dan
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2020, 03:03:07 PM »
Thank you Rick and SP.  You are right!  I think at least 85% of these paper models is working the paper properties.  You can get away with lots of stuff if you tweak and train the paper!  ;D

One last post tonight.  Got the bottom wings done.  The tubes you see are the exhausts which I'll try to put on next and then it's cabane strut time!!!!

Cheers,
Dan

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2020, 10:59:29 AM »
A question for all:

What color should the turnbuckles and metal parts be on a SPAD? 

I am getting the cabanes done and I will start rigging etc. tonight.  I see some restored or replica French planes with these parts colored a pretty blue.  Is this legit?  I just want to know what I should spot paint these parts.

Thanks in advance!  I've searched on the internet, and we all know it never lies, but the color just seems odd to me.

Cheers and pictures tonight...Dan ;D

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2020, 01:42:05 PM »
And here they are!  Got the top wing on.  Seems straight and ready for adding the interplanes etc.  I remember pulling the lower wing and landing gear off of my Dad's 13 inch Comet SPAD when I was about 7 and flying it quite nicely from our back porch up onto the roof.  I also remember my Dad not being too pleased...

I wonder if anyone tried flying a SPAD monoplane?  Would have given the D-VIII a run for it's money... ;D

Cheers,
Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2020, 10:49:01 PM »
Looks wonderful Dan!  Nicely done.  I see the exhausts in place and looking the part, so I assume you had no problems with getting them rolled and formed properly? 

Almost there!  Looking forward to the finish. 

Best,

Bob 

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2020, 02:36:03 PM »
Thanks, Bob...the exhausts went on but if you look TOO closely, you see some nasty buckles.  I think I needed to cut more reliefs from the tip.  Overall, they do look fine, though!

I got the landing gear installed, the bottom wing attached and the secondary struts added along with some basic rigging. I need to let this dry before putting the double flying wires on.  Can't rush those...I should be able to fit/rig most of the rest of it tomorrow, make the wheels and then do some touch-ups and airbrushing enhancements and she'll be finito.

Thanks for looking,
Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2020, 01:50:33 AM »
Dan, that really looks like a SPAD!  This will be a very nice model when completed.  Well Done! ;D

Best,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2020, 06:25:26 AM »
You are leaving Me in Your Dust Dan! The SPAD looks awesome and the rigging is looking great!
RAGIII

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2020, 07:10:44 AM »
Thanks, you guys...

I'm basically cheating, Rick!  I don't need to paint or get the right colors etc.  That's the one thing I don't like about the paper models is that they are all identical.  Granted...this one and Bob's are rendered so well, they are gorgeous!  But it's ironic that the reason I like these is also a negative.  I really like airbrushing and making the model my own.  Of course, at a contest you would really be judging the building skill as every paint chip, piece of weathering etc. are all the same.  I tend to be one that gets wowed by a lovely paint job and miss the crooked stab!  ::)

I think I may do a video series on a recent Dornier Arrow I downloaded and show how to treat it like a typical plastic model and paint my own camo etc. 

I'm watching your SPAD x 3 with awe.  Really nice job(s).  I will finish mine before yours, but I do think yours take more time and skill.

I hope to post some more progress tonight...Dan