Author Topic: SPAD XIII 1/33rd by Luis P. Igualada  (Read 5673 times)

Offline smperry

Re: SPAD XIII 1/33rd by Luis P. Igualada
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 11:16:02 PM »
This one really picked up on that center piece under the engine that Rick was wondering about. Another copper/brass colored representation. I bet that piece had something to do with the radiator and cooling system or maybe an oil cooler.

Great work on the tail feathers. I also like the fuselage panel over the photo bay. Paper models can show details like a thin sheet panel better than in plastic.

Generally speaking this will make a better Spad model than the 1/28 Revell clunker I have half done. Model on...we're all avidly watching.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 12:07:47 AM »
You are working at a Feverish pace on this one for sure. Lovely SPAD and superb build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 03:03:45 PM »
Thanks Gene, Bob, SP and Rick!  Here is a bit more though I'm not done with it, at least you can see the beginning progression of the front gun deck.  A ways to go but getting there!
Cheers,
Dan ;D

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 11:20:05 PM »
Progressing very nicely Dan!  I notice that this kit has a distinctly matte finish.  Are you planning on leaving it matte or hitting it with some semi-gloss at some point?  I'm always interested in the degree of sheen of the coatings applied to WWI aircraft, and how they would look considering scale effect. 

Great job so far on this one.  Keep it up! ;D

Best regards,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2020, 12:25:55 AM »
Continuing to be a Terrific build Dan! I have to say again how well this kit captures the interior details and colors!
RAGIII

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 02:44:00 AM »
Wow, Dan!  This seems to be an extraordinarily intricate kit and you are doing an amazing job with it.  Brilliant work.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2020, 02:54:20 PM »
Thanks Bob, Rick and Bud! 
I got more of the forward part done by skinning and making some louvers as well as starting the front rad shutters.  More to come!

Cheers,
Dan

P.S.  BOB!  I just use dead flat but semi gloss would look great and may make them look less like toys.  I know that's what Tony Greenland who is an amazing armor fellow from England does.  In one of his books, he clearly shows a tank in dead flat compared to semigloss and it does look better.  That would be a good thing to experiment with.  I do know that some paper modelers use a really glossy finish which I don't like...

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2020, 10:52:01 PM »
Some how I missed this one , sorry Dan . I'm really like how this one is turning out so far , coming together really well .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2020, 03:31:13 PM »
Thanks, Terri.  Your input is always important!  Welcome aboard...

I added the cowling, started the radiator shutters, added the cockpit edging and the little Hisso cylinder bank covers.  The nose is very complex, but is really shaping up.  Looks better in person, I must say...

Keep gluing,
Dan

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2020, 02:41:04 PM »
Ok...I think the front is all done except for the exhausts...but I'm exhausted tonight (ha, ha) so that will wait for tomorrow.  I got the rad shutters completed, added the gas cap fitting (I think) on the right cockpit edge, the guns, the spent ammo chutes and the windscreen.  That part is a bit odd.  I have not put in the clear part yet as the geometry doesn't seem correct based on some shots of the real machine.  Seems to need a slight point on the top middle, but the jury is still out on that.  Any SPAD experts care to comment, that would be helpful!  ;)

It really does look cool now and very much like a SPAD.  All those little extra parts really make it along with cutting out some louvers etc. 

More tomorrow...Dan

Offline Gene K

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2020, 09:58:45 PM »
Excellent progress.

How did you cut the louvers?

Gene K

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2020, 02:36:06 AM »
Hi Gene...

I just cut the long, vertical slit with an xacto.  It's easy to follow since they are printed on the paper.  Then I carefully put a tiny slit on either side of that main slit.  I then lay the part onto my trusty mouse pad (back side) and gently push the cuts out with a pencil or something similar.  If I'm really careful, I'll color the inside of the part (white paper) with a silver sharpie so you can see the "aluminum" on the underside.  You can push them out as much or as little as you want.  You can see the first one I did (forward nose on the left side) is horrible but I got better on the other parts!

Hope this helps...Dan

Offline Gene K

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2020, 03:25:27 AM »
I just cut the long, vertical slit with an xacto ... .. 

Thanks -- that's a lot of slitting!  ;)

Gene K

Offline matt77

• Modellismo in carta
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2020, 03:56:48 AM »
It is a very detailed and impressive model.
Sincere congratulations.
Marco

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2020, 05:26:53 AM »
Your SPAD is looking beautiful Dan! In Many respects, like I said before, the detail is better than the Hobby Craft plastic kit!
RAGIII