Author Topic: SPAD XIII 1/33rd by Luis P. Igualada  (Read 5676 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

SPAD XIII 1/33rd by Luis P. Igualada
« on: June 27, 2020, 02:35:33 AM »
And so it begins..............

I chose this kit since I have too many German planes on the piano.  While not RFC, at least it has roundels!  I've always liked the SPAD series and this one certainly fits the bill.  It is the most complicated paper model I've built thus far.  A company called Halinski makes the Tamyia of paper models but they are mostly WWII era.  They are rendered ala Matt77 and have 1000+ parts counts.  You should see their Panzers...Lots of layering of pieces, tiny cuts and rolls etc.  Nothing is left to the imagination.  For example: a telescopic site on a Japanese fighter I have could be made of 3 pieces...a rolled tube and two flared ends.  In a Halinski kit, the same piece will have 10-14 parts.  They are truly amazing and build into incredible replicas if you are up to the challenge!  This kit reminds me of those in design, complexity and count number.  I love it!  ;D

You can see the "kit" and directions which are photos of the model under construction.  There is also a time-lapse video of the designer beta-building one which does help with some placement.  It's really cool.

I started by backing the structural parts on 1/32nd balsa and then began the fuselage/cockpit tub.  It's not done, but already it took 20 parts just for the pit!  You can even see a hole for the camera that will be visible from below.  Lots more to do, but I wanted to document at least the start.  Part tolerances are very precise and I'll need to watch my balsa thickness.  When it says put your paper on a 0.8mm backing, they are not kidding.

Anyway, I hope this one goes well.  So far, fun and neat.

Cheers,
Dan

Re: SPAD XIII 1/33rd by Luis P. Igualada
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 02:35:55 AM »
 :)

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 02:40:40 AM »
Awesome start! The interior details look to be fantastic, actually far more accurate than the Hobby Craft kit  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 04:52:34 AM »
Hi Rick,

I agree!  There is enough detail printed and added to make it a very close replica.  In any event, it will sure look busy in there.  To top it all off,  everything fits a treat thus far.  I'm not anticipating any huge issues at all.  Just lots of careful cutting, folding and rolling. 

I only have a Roden SPAD VII in the stash...this will be fun.

Thanks for looking...Dan ;)

Online Radarman

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 05:00:17 AM »
Dan,
This is one of the schemes I've wanted to do in 1/32 scale for my stashed Hobbycraft kits. I'll be following along faithfully.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 03:13:28 PM »
Thanks, Kevin.  This one will, I think, give the HC model a run for it's money.  So far, so good!

I put some more things in the cockpit tub like tank lines, joy stick and rudder pedal straps while also adding the right fuselage side.  This made everything nice and square and strong!  Lots more to do, but you get the idea so far.  I'll try and finish the interior and close her up tomorrow.  Skinning the fuselage will be lots of fun.  ;D

More soon...Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 02:24:12 AM »
Looking good Dan!  Best of luck with this more complicated kit.  I am sure you will be up to the task. ;D

Best,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 04:25:21 AM »
Looking Fantastic...and familiar  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 03:37:34 PM »
Thanks, Rick and Bob... :D  She's moving right along!

I got the main tub done and started adding some formers and even the camera.  Skinning starts tomorrow!

More soon...Dan

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 03:37:58 PM »
 ;)

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 10:26:53 AM »
Hello Scissors Minions... ;D
After finishing the underside, I got the first part of the fuse skinned along with the problematic (in terms of complex shapes) head rest.  I needn't have worried.  Worked really well with only a bit of thinning of paper with sandpaper and careful pre-shaping.  Dang...starting to look like a SPAD!
Cheers,
Dan  :D

Online Radarman

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 11:05:22 AM »
Dan,
That sure is moving along at a brisk pace. Do you have a secret stash of sheet balsa and paper in case there's a run on them?
You're going to make paper modeling very inviting to the rest of us.

Keep up the great work,
                                                                                                                 Kevin
We are all victims of history!

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 02:36:25 PM »
Thanks, Kevin...I have a bunch of balsa for my flying models too.  Of course...I tend to use the heavier stuff on these paper guys since they are just static.  I will run out!  I wonder if we'll fall back a phase and then the hobby store will be verboten again.   :-[

Last update for tonight...promise.  I got the photo access panel attached and then couldn't help but add the tails.  I really shouldn't have, but I'm stalling on the rest of the front.  It looks a tad painful!   :P

More soon...Dan

Offline Gene K

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2020, 10:21:37 PM »
Coming along great!! Will you be doing one of Luis' Albatros next?  :)

Gene K

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2020, 10:34:10 PM »
That really is looking like a SPAD!  Lovely work on the tail end, Dan.  The fuselage is looking good. 

Best regards,

Bob