Author Topic: 1000th Ruston Proctor Camel  (Read 2239 times)

Offline macsporran

Re: 1000th Ruston Proctor Camel
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2020, 05:59:39 AM »
Lance and sp, the best reference for airframe, engines etc by far is The Camel File from Air Britain publications. This lists every Camel by serial number and identifies engine where possible, service history, dates etc.
B7280 was one of a batch of 200 Camels ordered from Ruston Proctor under running contract 87/A/1809/17 and AS19734 which were mostly fitted with 130hp Clerget 9B engines.
It was delivered to Reception Park in France 15/2/18 but considered not suitable for fighting purposes because of the colour scheme and returned to England 6/3/18 (6March). No record after that.

Offline smperry

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2020, 06:02:15 AM »
Wow Giuseppe, That is a clearer photo than the one I saw. Pretty much solves the engine issue. Fortunately the kit I plan to use has one.
Thanks so much for the information. It is duly saved in the folder and will be a help when I finally get this one going
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2020, 06:05:49 AM »
FWIW, here is the only other picture I have of the 1/48 RP1000 I made years ago. I was quite diligent with positioning of details such as the roundels on the struts etc, from the RP booklet, so in the absence of empirical data it may be of some use.
HTH
Sandy

Online RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2020, 02:09:33 AM »
Wow Giuseppe, That is a clearer photo than the one I saw. Pretty much solves the engine issue. Fortunately the kit I plan to use has one.
Thanks so much for the information. It is duly saved in the folder and will be a help when I finally get this one going
sp

Not only did this help with your question SP but there is a great rear view shot of Woolett's D6402 with the white camo blotches applied. If I can't get another WNW Camel I may have to tackle the Hobby Craft kit Myself someday  8) Thanks for posting the Link Giuseppe!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Berman

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2020, 04:19:18 AM »
Does anyone know if the dazzle wings went together with the optic illusion Sopwith Camel fuselage shown in the August 5th, 1918 page of https://www.kingstonaviation.org/sopwith-day-by-day/1918.html
Was any information on colors ever recorded? Thanks.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2020, 07:28:15 AM »
Welcome, I thougt "1918 Kingston Aviation" was already known to forum members: it's a nice source for Sopwith images.
About the dazzle wings, probably there are pictures of optical illusion schemes in the Windsock special "British colours and markings" and I believe it was a black and white scheme but just my guess.
With so many attractive liveries, I wish to get a lot of Camels now  ;D
Ciao
Giuseppe