Author Topic: Control horn tip  (Read 861 times)

Offline Berman

Control horn tip
« on: July 12, 2020, 12:29:22 PM »
Attaching the "cable" to a control horn can be difficult. Also photoetch horns have minute surface areas for cementing to the aircraft.
Here is an alternative method. Cut out the upper and lower (left and right for rudder) horns from the appropriate thickness styrene sheet. You will need two halves. Bend a piece of tempered micro wire with two ninety degree angles and cement between the two laminates. Sand edges of control horns if desired. Saw a slot in control surface and insert control horns.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Control horn tip
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 09:52:15 PM »
I'm always looking for new methods and techniques for building.
Pictures showing an example would go a long way to explaining the process and end results.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 11:18:36 PM »
In 1:32 with the WNW kits, I usually try to drill a hole 0.2 or 0.3mm in the centre of the control horn tip.  This is just wide enough for rigging material to pass through, and then tied off/glued, trimming one end and leaving a longer length free to rig to the aircraft later.  Much easier to pre rig before fixing to the model.  Attaching the thread by looping through the horn may not be strictly representative of the real equipment, but works ok.  I haven’t got a pic to hand

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 01:05:26 AM »
Sounds like a great idea, especially in smaller scales.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler