Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Albatros D.V Manfred von Richthofen  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Wingnut Wings Albatros D.V Manfred von Richthofen
« on: June 15, 2020, 02:10:52 PM »
When not busy herding cats here on the Forum I do manage to make the occasional model. This is the latest project, best viewed from a distance, but at least completed which is more than can be said for some others I've started.

This is the Wingnuts Albatros D.V from the Manfred von Richthofen special edition, but with the kit's MvR figure replaced with the excellent Model Cellar MvR figure I reviewed here recently.

The Albatros has been one of the best selling kits in the Wingnuts catalogue and with good reason. This model was brush painted with a mix of Vallejo paints. Rigging is with rolled electrical wire.

The von Richthofen figure was painted with mixes of Citadel, Vallejo and Jo Sonja's paints.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline smperry

Re: Wingnut Wings Albatros D.V Manfred von Richthofen
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 02:21:52 PM »
Love it Dave. The red is exactly right. They couldn't get pigments through the British blockade, so red paint was not so bright and not so thick. To my eye you nailed it perfectly. Great figure too.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 02:37:44 PM »
Your Albatros and MvR figure turned out great, Dave. Looks like autumn 1917 has come alive on your bench. Bravo!
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 06:47:45 PM »
Great Job Dave, bravo! And to think it's brush painted too - I can't seem to paint anything with a brush these days, how do you achieve such good results?

Cheers,

BC

Offline Borsos

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 06:57:39 PM »
I can only echo what already has been said. A really great Albatros next to a really great figure. Even the basework looks very natural and vivid.
Best regards,
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 08:44:46 PM »
Very well done Albatros Dave! I love the Incredible Hand Painted finish! The figure looks great and really sets of the scene!. One question, How does one "Roll" wire?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline LuckyLuke

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 09:10:38 PM »
Looks great Dave !
I too am wondering how you get such a marvelous result with a brush, share your secret with us :)

Luke

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 09:39:19 PM »
Super job Dave on your Albbie !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 10:31:47 PM »
   Very nice Dave, and I'll add my praise on the quality of the finish; like Brad I've lost the skill of brush painting completely and wonder at how you and several other of our members can produce these flawless finishes with a "hairy stick"! Great figure as well, another skill I've always admired but find beyond my abilities. Last, the version of red is indeed perfect to my eye, dull but definitely striking in tone. Beauty!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 10:57:39 PM »
As the others have said, brilliant results.  One would never guess its been brush painted.
I do like the MvR figure.

Online Radarman

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 11:00:26 PM »
Dave,
That's a great presentation. I feel it sums up the attraction of WWI models that exists today.

Great job,
                                                                                                                  Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 12:08:43 AM »
Great looking project Dave (I love that figure!). Congratulations on an excellent looking combination of the two.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline macsporran

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 01:53:18 AM »
Very nice. I wish my handbrushed finishes were as smooth as that, looks like an airbrush. And an outstandingly well painted figure.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 03:52:18 AM »
Very nice. I wish my handbrushed finishes were as smooth as that, looks like an airbrush. And an outstandingly well painted figure.
My thoughts exactly, Dave! Amazingly smooth and the red is perfect!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 04:39:16 AM »
Beautiful build and finish, Dave!
I'm having a hard time spotting the brush marks  :o

Well done!

von B  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith