Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Albatros D.V Manfred von Richthofen  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Wingnut Wings Albatros D.V Manfred von Richthofen
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 05:02:38 AM »
Wow, that is a really, really great result Dave! Lovely authentic looking red on the DV and that figure is just right.. Quite lovely... Regards, Marc.

Bughunter

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2020, 06:39:54 AM »
Dave, that is really a very nice Albatros, and yes, your paintwork is great! The paint is may be not on a airbrushed level - but that gives, at least here in the big scale, a very authentic look of a hand painted real Albatros. The figure fits well (to paint a figure is a art of itself).

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2020, 01:36:13 PM »
Thanks for the kind words folks. This model certainly looks better with social distancing viewing in place :)

For those interested in the dark arts of brush painting, have a look over on the Nostalgia Board where I have uploaded an excellent painting guide from the golden era of Scale Models. Thanks as always to Ray Rimell for his permission to run this article from the Scale Colour special.

Rick- you asked about rolled wire rigging. This is a technique I learnt from Ray's time as editor of Scale Models. It involves taking lengths of 5 or 8 amp electrical fuse wire ( or 28 gauge craft wire), and using a flat metal ruler to roll it straight and rigid on a glass or ceramic surface. Use a set of old school dividers ( mine are from high school more than 50 years ago now) to measure the length needed on the model, cut with a scalpel and apply with PVA glue or Elmer's to the model.

Real wire looks better because it's authentic and adds structural strength to the model.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RichieW

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 09:08:59 PM »
Beautiful Albatros Dave, I love your wire rigging. I've been contemplating doing something similar and wondering if it would work. Now I know!

Is it Vallejo model colour paint? I have been wondering about painting a whole model with it too. It's a lovely finish you've achieved with it.

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2020, 11:06:19 PM »
Hi Dave,

Really nice build, and finish.  And, I like what you have done with our figure - very nice =).

Paul

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2020, 03:48:07 AM »
Sorry to be late to the party - I am still catching up. An excellent rendition of a famous Albatros and the figure sets the model off very well indeed. I am pleased to read that another old timer is also using the tried and tested hairy stick method for painting - which incidentally can give results as good as any spray gun, and in some cases better! I am also a fan of rolled wire (finer on models in the True Scale of course, but also cribbed from Ray Rimell and Scale Models in the 1970's!), so in my opinion this model is a complete winner.

Stephen.