Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Halberstadt Cl.II (Early) - Schlasta 21  (Read 2778 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Wingnut Wings Halberstadt Cl.II (Early) - Schlasta 21
« on: June 08, 2020, 03:39:36 AM »
    Here's my effort at the WNW Halberstadt Cl.II Early Version. The colors are from the Kit selection and depict an atypically finished Schlasta 21 Aircraft on the Western Front in 1918. The Schlasta 21 hallmark finish of black and white horizontal stripes was over-painted with vertical yellow and blue (some speculate yellow and red was just as likely) stripes. Either way it's a very colorful subject!

The Schlasta 21 stripes appear visible underneath the colorful blue and yellow finish as shown on period photos of the aircraft and the original Lozenge pattern and earlier markings can be seen on the flying surfaces as well.

The Kit would be quite impressive as an OOB Build however I added some After Market items to further detail the cockpit and as usual I hand laminated and carved a wooden prop. On this one the woods used were Alaskan White Cedar and the darker Pear wood veneers.

The full Build Log can be found here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10541.0

Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 07:59:17 AM by lcarroll »

Offline gbrivio

Re: Wingnut Wings Halberstadt Cl.II (Early) - Schlasta 21
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 04:22:56 AM »
Beautiful model, livery is really captivating and details looking so nice. Laminated propeller is always a point of attraction.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 05:12:17 AM »
Are you going into the propellor carving market Lance? That is just stunning. Come to that the rest of the model is stunning too. The shadows of the stripes on the fuselage and lozenge on the wings is terrific, as is the wear on the spinner and around the nose. Everything about this model says QUALITY - an outstanding piece of modelling art.

Stephen.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 06:38:20 AM »
Hey Lance - your model is exceptional. That work you've done with an additional scheme over a previous one sets this project into a league of it's own. Very well carried off, and your weathering is outstanding. A hearty congratulations to  you, my friend.
Cheers,
Gary

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 07:25:30 AM »
To paint a complicated scheme only as primer for a layer of complicated paint scheme on top, that is really crazy. What about a third scheme on top on the next model? :P ;D

Beside the painting it is a great model, based on a fantastic detailed WNW kit plus additional details like carved propeller, done by a masterful modeller.
Lance, I'm out of the range of superlatives with my limited english capabilities to describe, what I see here. A simple "WOW!" must be enough!

Cheers,
Frank

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 08:06:09 AM »
Thank you all, I really value all of your comments and am flattered by your assessments, great confidence builder for someone losing the aging vs. skills battle! As usual I appear to have succeeded in hiding the flaws through careful photography!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 05:20:54 PM »
That is outstanding Lance and the colour scheme is very striking. Your prop is awesome and really presents the model perfectly. Nicely delicate weathering too. The Halberstadt was one of the last WnW kits I acquired before the company closed and it's nice to see how beautifully the kit builds. Your build shows a modeller at the very top of the skills ladder.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 11:14:28 PM »
As always your results are Stunning Lance! A truly Beautiful Model in all respects!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 10:02:29 AM »
I'm really impressed with this one Lance , your skills have shined brightly here . I Love how the underlining scheme just shows through , you nailed this one for sure !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 10:29:42 AM »
What an eye catcher she is, Lance!  Spectacular results, as always!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 11:31:11 AM »
Thanks all! One of the great qualities of this Forum is the support, and it is unparalelled!
Cheers, :)
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 08:16:03 PM »
Another cracking build to add to the collection of cracking builds.
Well done, Lance!

Splendid  :)

von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 12:28:52 AM »
Very fine! Colourful. Great build with extra details added. Fine weathering here and there. All in all - one to be proud of, Lance.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 12:34:46 AM »
Thank you von Buckle Builder, just working my way towards another order from my favorite purveyor of fine model accessories! :)
....... and thanks to you as well Prze, your comments are very much appreciated!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline FAf

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 02:35:03 AM »
Great build!!!
I especially like the layers of colours and markings, but my favourite detail is that pipe connector up front with its metal clamps/fasteners. It looks very real when you zoom in on it!
/Fredrik