Author Topic: News from Copper State Models  (Read 17837 times)

Offline Jeff K

Re: News from Copper State Models
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2020, 08:57:54 PM »
About the markings that we are currently picking/making)

Nieuport 23. B3459, was flown extensively in combat by Capt Fullard to gain 16 of this final 40 victories including the capture of a Junkers J.I before ending its days in Egypt.

Nieuport 23. B1552, flown by Lt.E. `Mick` Mannock, 40 Sqn RFC, (with different top wing roundels (wing repair probably?))

Nieuport 23. B1566, flown by Capt W.A. Bishop, 60 Sqn RFC (not sure if we need to add C.5 on the fuselage though)

This three will be in the kit, what other markings you would like to see in the kit?

:O

well there you go. 3 more i need with the decals already in the box. i didn't even think about Mannock flying Nieuports, that's brilliant. his B3607 is a nice looking ship, too... maybe an aftermarket decal set, like the Italian XVIIs? i think the 3 you listed are perfect for the kit options... How about Tom Falcon Hazell? 1 Squadron like Fullard, so a lot of markings likely re-usable.

i've not yet opened the Billy Bishop can of worms, but if the ship really had the C 5 marking at some point, i'd like that in the kit for sure.

here are some more things that would excite me (and hopefully others) as options, maybe aftermarket sheets:

How about Ball's A201 or A213? The Aerodrome lists it as a XVII, but it lists Mannock's ship as a XVII also... i don't have the Cross and Cockade book that breaks 'em all down by serial numbers yet but visually the difference is just in the Lewis gun mount?

delighted with the plans for this release.

Offline Edgar

« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2020, 09:24:18 PM »
I want to exclude Ball for now)

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2020, 11:09:39 PM »
i've not yet opened the Billy Bishop can of worms, but if the ship really had the C 5 marking at some point, i'd like that in the kit for sure.
How about Ball's A201 or A213? The Aerodrome lists it as a XVII, but it lists Mannock's ship as a XVII also... i don't have the Cross and Cockade book that breaks 'em all down by serial numbers yet but visually the difference is just in the Lewis gun mount?

delighted with the plans for this release.
[/quote]

A lot of pilots made false claims but the Bishop VC controversy is worth reading up on. For this reason I’d prefer to do Ball. But will buy this kit, the Fuller one looks great. Thanks Edgar and CSM!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline petrov27

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2020, 11:14:00 PM »
Maybe one from 29 C Flight? There is a profile in Nieuport Aces of WW1 of B1506 6 C flown by A W B Miller in which he scored all six of his victories and was shot down in it. That same reference states that Flight leader A S Shepherd flew B1504 marked 1 C and scored 9 of his 10 victories in it. I think these look pretty good with the fancy fuselage number/letter and the red band

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:22:15 PM by petrov27 »
-Patrick

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2020, 02:12:01 AM »

A lot of pilots made false claims but the Bishop VC controversy is worth reading up on. For this reason I’d prefer to do Ball. But will buy this kit, the Fuller one looks great. Thanks Edgar and CSM!
i've a superficial knowledge of the allegations. most pilots didn't so much make fake claims as overly optimistic claims. Bishop on the other hand attracts the attention of revisionist historians.

also several memoirs refer to a loudmouth pilot making false claims and fake missions... seems likely the unnamed pilot may be Bishop.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2020, 02:16:49 AM »
This is great news! I have a 1/32nd N.16 and S.E.5 in the stash for Ball and Mannock, respectively. So I will soon have to choose which of them also gets a Nieuport 23... not a bad problem to have.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2020, 02:19:25 AM »
Oh, Edgar, what an elixir this is...perfectly timed...and Mannock's machine? Beautiful...it'd probably be unlikely but how about Mannock's pal in 40 RFC, McScotch - William MacLanachan-...wrote one of the most underrated books of Great War aviation mostly about Mannock; FIGHTER PILOT. 
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline Monty

« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2020, 03:13:10 AM »
I'm very keen on a British machine too... Well done, Elgar!

Offline Edgar

« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2020, 03:24:57 AM »
Like I said, show me any photos, maybe a history behind the machine or the pilot who flew it and we will check and see if it is possible to add it

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2020, 05:45:33 AM »
Awesome News on the choices of Markings. I never intended to do Mannock's but probably will  ;D Or perhaps another. Will certainly get one of these!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2020, 10:26:37 AM »
Hopefully your sales Edgar will pick up with these and previous Nieuport releases - to fund the next project.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2020, 10:36:20 AM »

i've a superficial knowledge of the allegations. most pilots didn't so much make fake claims as overly optimistic claims. Bishop on the other hand attracts the attention of revisionist historians.

also several memoirs refer to a loudmouth pilot making false claims and fake missions... seems likely the unnamed pilot may be Bishop.

Yes that’s true. Many claims were made in the excitement and stress of battle, and RFC claims were harder to verify. Just got WNW Goering Fokker. Wasn’t going too because he too was a complete buffoon. But it’s all about the kit itself and with my ham fisted figure painting he’ll come out generic anyway. Good times to be a WW1 modeller! Daz

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2020, 12:51:14 PM »
Maybe one from 29 C Flight? There is a profile in Nieuport Aces of WW1 of B1506 6 C flown by A W B Miller in which he scored all six of his victories and was shot down in it. That same reference states that Flight leader A S Shepherd flew B1504 marked 1 C and scored 9 of his 10 victories in it. I think these look pretty good with the fancy fuselage number/letter and the red band

I would love to see markings for Alfred Seymour Shepherd's B1504 '1C'. There is a nice colour side view of this aircraft on page 29 of Cross and Cockade's 'Nieuports in RNAS, RFC and RAF Service' It has yellow wheels that look very colourful with 29 Squadron's red band. He scored nine of his ten victories in this aircraft and was shot down and killed in it on the 20 July 1917 by Alfred Niederhoff of Jasta 11. I've also got a sneaking suspicion that the numeral/letter combination was reversed on the port side of the aircraft eg: Starboard '1C', Port 'C1'.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2020, 02:35:35 PM »
Like I said, show me any photos, maybe a history behind the machine or the pilot who flew it and we will check and see if it is possible to add it
that's great... do make sure you keep the ones you listed though please ;)

Offline Edgar

« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2020, 02:20:30 AM »
Very interesting situation
both plans are identified as B3474
but you can clearly see that it may not be correct as planes have different fuselage decorations
It is stated that B3474 achieved many victories in combat when flown by Capt Hazell, 2Lt Campbell and Capt Jenkins.

But which of them is real B3474 or which of them is the one those pilots really used
Also, we know that the 1 SQN had that vertical bar on the fuselage (always?)

We can add it to the markings)