Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 2199 times)

Offline SimonCornes

Greetings!
« on: June 03, 2020, 09:14:41 PM »
I am a relatively new WWI aircraft modeller but I have experience with more recent aircraft types. I have been buying mainly Wingnuts for around 5 years - my first buy was the Snipe (Late) because up to then I had been buying Silver Wings 1/32 resin kits of inter war types and the Snipe was an 'excuse' to try Wingnut. So I now have a typical Wingnut collection size but I haven't actually built one yet. I have the two books on building the kits plus Stringbag and I try to buy the appropriate Windsock to give me better knowledge of the subject. I am very interested in building techniques.... paints, materials. I am a mainly enamel user but I have questions about what paint to use when you apply lozenge decals? I start off with the idea that the Wingnut surface detail is very fine. My favourite primer is Halfords white plastic primer but then I worry that the Halfords paint might be too coarse for the moulded detail? Then I know I need a gloss coat - Halfords appliance white? Might that not be too coarse as well? I start with the principal that I don't want to cock it up! Maybe I need to know what the best paint combination is to get to that starting point of applying lozenge decals? I should say that I also have a few Roden 1/32 kits - the Wolsey SE5a for example and Fokker F.I and Dr.I plus a couple of earlier Albatros. I certainly have the kit base to get started but I just need to take the first step!

Simon

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 10:33:16 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Simon. I have used the standard Tamiya acrylics (Usually their X2 Gloss White but occasionally with a bit of darker color like X-55 Deck Tan added for a darker effect) since starting to build WNW Kits 10-11 years ago. It has worked very nicely for me. I would say any gloss white or "off-white" would work including enamels for the purpose. Sounds like you have a good stock of Kits to start into WW.I Aircraft Modelling, good luck!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 12:42:48 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Simon.

Cheers,
Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 10:17:32 AM »
Welcome to the site Simon  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 08:41:49 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Simon. I have used the standard Tamiya acrylics (Usually their X2 Gloss White but occasionally with a bit of darker color like X-55 Deck Tan added for a darker effect) since starting to build WNW Kits 10-11 years ago. It has worked very nicely for me. I would say any gloss white or "off-white" would work including enamels for the purpose. Sounds like you have a good stock of Kits to start into WW.I Aircraft Modelling, good luck!
Cheers,
Lance
Thanks Lance. One question - primer? Years ago I never used primer, I was painting in Humbrol matt enamels using a hairy stick. In more recent years I have become 'sophisticated' and finally discovered what an airbrush is for - back in the 70's it was a spray gun for Microscale varnishes! So now, sometimes I use primer - Halfords plastic white or grey. Do I need primer if using Tamiya gloss white?
Thanks
Simon

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 08:42:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Simon.

Cheers,
Bob  ;)
Thank you Bob. At some point I intend to stock up with your products!!
Cheers
Simon

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 08:43:15 PM »
Welcome to the site Simon  :)

Terri
Thanks Terri!

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 09:24:39 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Simon. I hope you find much here to interest you.

I was amused by your reference to being "sophisticated" with now having an airbrush. I'm a brush painter and happily so and I'm sure you'll find many others here who brush paint. As such Humbrol enamels have been my choice but now I prefer Humbrol and Vallejo acrylics.

We look forward to seeing your builds and feel free to ask any questions. Lots of knowledge in our friendly group.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 11:51:46 PM »
Cheers,
Lance
Thanks Lance. One question - primer? Years ago I never used primer, I was painting in Humbrol matt enamels using a hairy stick. In more recent years I have become 'sophisticated' and finally discovered what an airbrush is for - back in the 70's it was a spray gun for Microscale varnishes! So now, sometimes I use primer - Halfords plastic white or grey. Do I need primer if using Tamiya gloss white?
Thanks
Simon

Simon,
     I never use primer other then to "Dress" areas of repair or filler/putty. I've had consistent success with the Tamiya Gloss White (X-2) as a base for Aviattic's Lozenge products over easily a dozen or more subjects.Several light coats to a shiny finish and then let it cure for at least 24 hours is what I use, never had a problem!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 05:12:57 AM »

I was amused by your reference to being "sophisticated" with now having an airbrush. I'm a brush painter and happily so and I'm sure you'll find many others here who brush paint. As such Humbrol enamels have been my choice but now I prefer Humbrol and Vallejo acrylics.

We look forward to seeing your builds and feel free to ask any questions. Lots of knowledge in our friendly group.

cheers

Dave Wilson

Thank you Dave, I'm sure that I will - there is a great deal to learn! The art of paintwork is an elusive want but we all start somewhere and whilst I'm not exactly a beginner I know theres a lot to learn before I think I know what I'm doing! No doubt I'll grasp the nettle with acrylics but I have a lot of enamel to get through!
Cheers
Simon
Gold Coast
Australia

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 05:16:40 AM »
Cheers,
Lance
Thanks
Simon

Simon,
     I never use primer other then to "Dress" areas of repair or filler/putty. I've had consistent success with the Tamiya Gloss White (X-2) as a base for Aviattic's Lozenge products over easily a dozen or more subjects.Several light coats to a shiny finish and then let it cure for at least 24 hours is what I use, never had a problem!
Cheers,
Lance

A-ha - several coats! I have this sort of psychological issue of cleaning the airbrush - I don't like it - and if I have to do it repeatedly I get impatient - this is why I like to use a rattle can with automotive plastic primer in it  - just shake it then spend an evening putting on layers! So I had to put on layers of X-2? Okay, I'll just have to get my head around it!!
Cheers
Simon

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 07:20:43 PM »
Welcome to the Forum. 

I never use primer with Tamiya paints.  But I sand everything, at least a little, to avoid paint lift.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 08:48:53 PM »
Hi Simon,

I do tend to prime - Halfords spray beautifully, but I find they need a light rub down after to get a super smooth finish. I also use Mr Hobby surfacer 1500 - dilute with their levelling thinners And it sprays nicely.

I have recently tried not priming, but I do find I get some lifting if I’m masking on occasion. It’s really trial and and error and personal preference!

The convenience of a Halfords grey rattle can is hard to beat though!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 11:39:00 PM »
Hi Simon,

I do tend to prime - Halfords spray beautifully, but I find they need a light rub down after to get a super smooth finish. I also use Mr Hobby surfacer 1500 - dilute with their levelling thinners And it sprays nicely.

I have recently tried not priming, but I do find I get some lifting if I’m masking on occasion. It’s really trial and and error and personal preference!

The convenience of a Halfords grey rattle can is hard to beat though!

Guy

Hi Guy,
So you are with me on the Halfords primer front but then what paint would you use on top prior to applying lozenge camouflage decals? I worry about obscuring the decal with too much paint!!

Simon

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 11:55:57 PM »

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Thanks Dave, the forum is already proving to be both interesting and useful. I'm afraid I don't post images of WIP or finished models these days. I used to post via photo bucket but I stopped when they decided to charge. As it was, it took most of an evening to post half a dozen pictures with my old PC so I decided it wasn't worth it - life's too short! So now I don't bother - I might e-mail photos taken with my iPhone to friends but I assume I can't post iPhone photos straight onto this forum and I don't want the faff of sites like Photobucket again!

I listened to your recent podcast about Wingnut and  thought it was great - thank you for doing it! The one thing that you did not mention and which intrigues me is what you think Wingnut might do with their stock in the warehouse at Wellington? Like many people I have e-mailed them and told them which kits I might like to buy should they start trading again - and I've had an acknowledgement - but I wonder if they'll decide to sell to retail customers like me or, instead, sell in larger numbers to wholesaler/retailers like Sprue Bros or Hannants in order to generate turnover. Your podcast comments then made me wonder if SPJ might just hang on to the lot for 5 or 6 years - when he might start to trade again - and then have a ready made, wide ranging stock of his kits to sell at that point? I suppose we all have to wait to see how things pitch out but its a fascinating - and frustrating - subject!

Best regards

Simon