Author Topic: On the Bench Modelling Podcast - What happened to Wingnut Wings  (Read 5844 times)

Online macsporran

Re: On the Bench Modelling Podcast - What happened to Wingnut Wings
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2020, 04:40:22 PM »
Those angels are dancing on the head of that pin again....

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2020, 06:53:57 PM »
i'm almost to the part of the podcast where part 2 starts.

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2020, 02:52:34 AM »
How many can dance on the head of that pin?
Honor Necessity

Online macsporran

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2020, 03:50:04 AM »
How many can dance on the head of that pin?

Nobody knows but everybody has a theory and it can be debated endlessly.....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 04:00:50 AM by macsporran »

Offline Bill_S

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 12:35:10 AM »
Thanks for posting this, Dave. Any truth to the rumor of a Sir PJ figure in the "Little Contemptibles" line?

Offline Monty

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2020, 04:38:51 AM »
Well played, Bill!  ;D ;D Although we all need a little hope in these tough times, I have listened carefully and I think Dave's podcasts have crystallized a few things: Sir P still has a lot of resources, he is not keen on sharing his intellectual property and his interest in the model field seems to have dissipated completely. Although I have said before that the moulds could resurface and be reused, I think this is going to only happen in the distant future, say 10 years or more. Good news for other model manufacturers wanting to produce new models, but a big delay for us modellers in general. So we need to concentrate and support the new and up-coming releases and put this amazing, yet flawed, period behind us. I really mean to move on myself, build less WNW, see what can be done with other (and really good) modelling companies, and simply enjoy the hobby! Regards, Marc. 

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2020, 08:41:44 AM »
Dave Johnson is the guest on the latest podcast, with his unique insights into his 11 years working at Wingnut Wings.

Here's the link to the latest episode: https://otbmodellerspodcast.libsyn.com/otb-86-what-happened-to-wingnut-wings-part-2

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ThePenguin

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2020, 10:18:54 AM »
Dave Johnson is the guest on the latest podcast, with his unique insights into his 11 years working at Wingnut Wings.

Here's the link to the latest episode: https://otbmodellerspodcast.libsyn.com/otb-86-what-happened-to-wingnut-wings-part-2

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
, noy

Awesome interview and podcast, thank you. Bonus information on shipping models :). I wonder if we'll ever hear from PJ himself after the dust settles, not holding my breath on that though. As they're speculating about WNW future, I don't know...Maybe at most just re-popping the popular sold out items in limited quantities every so often. It's a shame we never got to see the Punishers or the Lancasters, or Dr.1's, holding digits that they decide to complete and push these out someday.

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2020, 12:20:10 PM »
Just listened to the Dave Johnson podcast.  Really enjoyed it, though I wish the interviewers had asked a few more questions and follow-ups regarding a number of topics.

Dave sounds like a great guy.  I've had the pleasure of interacting with him a few times over the years and he was always terrific.

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2020, 04:21:47 PM »
On the bench interview part 2 with Dave Johnson begins at 1:03 if you are pressed for time....

Thanks Dave J for your fantastic aftersales customer support which is just one facet of what set Wingnut Wings apart from the rest.
I personally benefitted when you helped me out with extra pieces /decals for the DH-9.

I had no idea you had built ten test shots of that kit!

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2020, 09:59:10 PM »
Thanks Dave and Dave, great interview!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 10:24:49 PM by Pup7309 »
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2020, 03:16:11 AM »
In the earlier podcast, Dave Wilson suggested that he thinks WNW could have been financially viable had they run things a different way.

It was interesting to note that Dave Johnson more or less said the same thing in his podcast.  What a shame.

And it really does sound like the Lancaster kits and the Fokker DR.Is could be finished off without too much fuss!  If we never see those kits, it could go down as one of the greatest tragedies in modeling history.

Also very interesting to note that Dave Johnson agreed with Dave Wilson's suspicion that the toolings will never see the light of day, as WETA doesn't like to let other people play with their toys.

That is also a shame.  Once current stock is sold, the best we might be able to hope for is WETA/Peter Jackson doing something themselves in the future, on a very limited basis, in terms of re-popping already finished work. 

I guess that's possible.

Online macsporran

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2020, 05:17:47 AM »
If PJ ever makes his Dambuster film, I reckon that would be the best chance for the Lancaster kits to be released - as a tie-in.
However I read somewhere that his option on the story runs out in the next two years, so maybe it's never gonna happen.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2020, 01:13:58 PM »

That is also a shame.  Once current stock is sold, the best we might be able to hope for is WETA/Peter Jackson doing something themselves in the future, on a very limited basis, in terms of re-popping already finished work. 

I guess that's possible.
[/quote]

Hi yes I was thinking maybe they will re-route though Weta for selling off. It might depend on other arrangements like liquidation laws or something but I don’t really know
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2020, 06:04:25 PM »

Hi yes I was thinking maybe they will re-route though Weta for selling off. It might depend on other arrangements like liquidation laws or something but I don’t really know
i don't know the rules of the game in NZ, but i don't think it's likely that liquidation laws will come into play because they're not going bankrupt, just closing. the accountants in their emails imply that they'd resume sales, so directly through the WNW website *seems* likely but who knows.