Author Topic: On the Bench Modelling Podcast - What happened to Wingnut Wings  (Read 5847 times)

Offline Dave J

I am not sure if this has been posted, but Dave had a chat to the guys from On the Bench Podcast regarding his article on WNW.

Starts around the 1.15 mark for those that are interested.

https://otbmodellerspodcast.libsyn.com/otb-85-what-happened-to-wingnut-wings
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 11:41:13 AM by Dave J »
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline James

On the Bench Modelling Podcast - What happened to Wingnut Wings
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 11:31:24 AM »
I listened to it Saturday morning. I loved it! That was a fantastic interview Dave.

James
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline rhwinter

Re: On the Bench Modelling Podcast - What happened to Wingnut Wings
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 03:32:37 PM »
Yes, very interesting, Dave! Especially where it goes beyond the published article. Thanks!

Offline macsporran

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 03:47:30 PM »
Excellent broadcast, Dave, very incisive and interesting. Thank you.
....... now of course we'd all love to know what's on that list of things that might have been......  ;)

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 05:17:09 PM »
Just listened to the podcast, great interview Dave, many thanks.

You gave a little bit of insight into projects I was unaware of at The Vintage Aviator too, so most interesting.

Meanwhile ‘smaug’ waits in silence and continues to sit atop his mountain of treasure....

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 04:37:52 PM »
Just listened to the interview. Awse Dave!
It was well balanced and informative.
Also confirmed some of my inklings and learned a bit.
When the Lanc’s and Gothas came out I wondered at that. And yes they turned out to be a bridge too far.
Also the issue of separate large and expensive early and late versions of kits (from DFWs to Gothas) really didn’t consider budgets of modellers. PJ I noticed from his movies sometimes overcooked it a bit and really needed someone to bring his decision making back to earth. Wouldn’t envy that person but at the end of the day it’s his money and he is the originator and we benefit in some way. Also he probably won’t sell the molds to someone else. Don’t blame him: why should he if it’s not about the money. But keeping them and intellectual property from being knocked off is another story.

Let’s hope there’s a change of mind in a few years for WNW 2.0. I hope the talented staff find their feet after their heartless dismissal.

Other companies now have a chance to come back into the game. So there’s that future.

Also good to hear about the 1:1 Handley Page. Wow he knows how to go big that’s for sure!
DC
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 10:04:06 PM by Pup7309 »
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Dekenba1

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 09:30:59 PM »
Is it possible to reverse engineer WNW moulds from a set of sprues?

If so, I'd expect to see Chinese kits of subjects that look remarkably similar to existing WNW kits, but with subtle changes - perhaps rubber tyres, brass gun barrels, altered surface detail - fabric folds moved - PE instrument panels, moveable control surfaces &, of course, different decals.

After all, the Chinese have made exact copies of Mini's, Land Rovers, Audi A8, Porsche Cayman, BMW X5, VW Up, Mercedes C class, Range Rovers and even Teslas in the past, with different badges nailed on the front alongside tweaked wheels, grills & panel lines.

If they can do that, copying a kit should be easy-peasy. Chinese industry - aided by the government - have not really grasped the concept of copyright & intellectual property. I expect there's more than a few injection moulding operations that are looking for work at the moment.....

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 02:37:25 AM »
I had a chance to listen to the podcast yesterday and I really enjoyed it.

Thanks Dave for your continued information re: the WNW story.

The financial discussion in particular was really eye opening.

A few points that really intrigued me...

First, could WNW have been run differently and more intelligently so as to stay in business indefinitely?  It's hard to say without having access to the numbers.  Just how much and how frequently was Jackson reaching into his wallet to keep the ship floating? 

Second, will Peter Jackson indeed decide to keep all of WNW's resources for himself, with those toolings gathering dust in a Chinese molding shop?  I certainly hope not.  What a bitter move that would be and it would effectively be a kick in the teeth to modelers around the world who want to see these kits remain in circulation.

Lastly, will WNW return, down the road, in some new and altered form?  I agree with Dave that it is possible and maybe even likely, with lots of restrictions.  I.E., I could see a single kit or 2 being re-popped at some point in the future.

One thing seems to be sure: The warehouse in Wellington has to have a lot of kits sitting on shelves in it.  Those, I have to assume, will be moved through regular distribution channels at some point and I think we will get a chance to purchase new WNW kits in the future, for regular MSRP prices.

I contacted Sprue Brothers about this.  They had no special information, but at some point WNW is going to have to honor existing orders and they will certainly clear out the warehouse.

If/when those kits hit the market, they will last a matter of hours, and I would expect most online retailers to place quantity limits on purchases.

Offline fruibal

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 02:41:40 AM »
I had a chance to listen to the podcast yesterday and I really enjoyed it.

Thanks Dave for your continued information re: the WNW story.

The financial discussion in particular was really eye opening.

A few points that really intrigued me...

First, could WNW have been run differently and more intelligently so as to stay in business indefinitely?  It's hard to say without having access to the numbers.  Just how much and how frequently was Jackson reaching into his wallet to keep the ship floating? 

Second, will Peter Jackson indeed decide to keep all of WNW's resources for himself, with those toolings gathering dust in a Chinese molding shop?  I certainly hope not.  What a bitter move that would be and it would effectively be a kick in the teeth to modelers around the world who want to see these kits remain in circulation.

Lastly, will WNW return, down the road, in some new and altered form?  I agree with Dave that it is possible and maybe even likely, with lots of restrictions.  I.E., I could see a single kit or 2 being re-popped at some point in the future.

One thing seems to be sure: The warehouse in Wellington has to have a lot of kits sitting on shelves in it.  Those, I have to assume, will be moved through regular distribution channels at some point and I think we will get a chance to purchase new WNW kits in the future, for regular MSRP prices.

I contacted Sprue Brothers about this.  They had no special information, but at some point WNW is going to have to honor existing orders and they will certainly clear out the warehouse.

If/when those kits hit the market, they will last a matter of hours, and I would expect most online retailers to place quantity limits on purchases.

Do youn think there's any chance that they will return to sell online closing inventory to customers with pending orders?

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 06:38:32 AM »
An excellent podcast and one that has been bookmarked for future and past shows.

Well done, Dave. No BS, just the facts as reported. A cracking interview.

Cheers,
Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Dekenba1

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 06:43:38 AM »
Personally, I think it's inevitable that the moulds - or at least the popular ones - will find their way back to market at some point. Maybe as WNW, maybe as a new company, maybe split up and sold to other companies. They are worth money, and money eventually talks.

It's the only logical outcome.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 04:38:17 PM »
Personally, I think it's inevitable that the moulds - or at least the popular ones - will find their way back to market at some point. Maybe as WNW, maybe as a new company, maybe split up and sold to other companies. They are worth money, and money eventually talks.

Do you remember the Roman emperor Nero? He burnt his own city down...  ;)
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 03:37:46 AM »

Andreas

:) The story goes he was inspired to compose poetry watching it burn. But I know what you mean!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 07:25:42 AM »

The major assumption here is that logic will dictate what does ultimately happen to the molds.  Don't bet the farm on it.
Honor Necessity

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2020, 04:29:25 PM »

Andreas
"some men just want to watch the world burn."