Author Topic: If Roden resume production of new WW1 kits, what subjects would you buy?  (Read 35449 times)

Offline Pup7309

Any single engine flying boat or float plane in 1/32.

Steve

Yes please!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline ThePenguin

Glad to see Roden showing some interest in returning to the WWI aircraft modeling scene.  Hopefully the modeling community will be much nicer to them than in the past.

I would like to see them produce the following:

1/32nd Breguet 14

1/32nd Dehaviland DH.4

1/32nd Hanriot

Hopefully something will come of this.

I like these choices :)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Glad to see Roden showing some interest in returning to the WWI aircraft modeling scene.  Hopefully the modeling community will be much nicer to them than in the past.

I would like to see them produce the following:

1/32nd Breguet 14

1/32nd Dehaviland DH.4

1/32nd Hanriot

Hopefully something will come of this.

I also support mgunns' choice, although I would just buy the HD1 (Italian Markings)

Offline Dwaynewilly

If they were looking to kit a winner, how could they go wrong with a Fokker D VII?  Really work on getting the tooling right and get that fit worked out.  They could give the WNW reissues a run for their money, especially if they are more reasonable, price wise.

Offline Pup7309

If they were looking to kit a winner, how could they go wrong with a Fokker D VII?  Really work on getting the tooling right and get that fit worked out.  They could give the WNW reissues a run for their money, especially if they are more reasonable, price wise.

If WNW molds do not produce again there would be demand for all their popular kits like Fokker DVII and maybe others like w29, Gotha iv and I’d be up for another Roland dvi and a few others.

I’ve got a feeling people want from Roden what WNW hadn’t produced?

Offline Dwaynewilly

Not sure those WNW kits will be available anytime soon and it's not like multiple manufacturers haven't produced the same kit before, how many companies offer Spitfires and Bf109's? Fokker D.VII's have minimal rigging and hundreds of color schemes.  Without WNW's around, I think Roden would clean up with a decent D.VII.

Offline Petie2nd

Glad that so many have mentioned some of my favorite choices on this thread. I might as well add my voice to the many others asking for:

Hanriot HD.1/2
Breguet 14
DH-4
Spad XIII

Pete

Offline Old Man

The S.P.A.D. VII cries out for a good kitting. I would of course prefer 1/72, but it would be nice to see one at any scale.

One of the big French twin-engined types, a Letord or a Caudron R-11 'battleplane' would be a treat indeed.

A Roland DII would be welcome, as well.

Offline Pup7309

The S.P.A.D. VII cries out for a good kitting. I would of course prefer 1/72, but it would be nice to see one at any scale.

One of the big French twin-engined types, a Letord or a Caudron R-11 'battleplane' would be a treat indeed.

A Roland DII would be welcome, as well.

A Cauldron R 11 hasn’t been mentioned...interesting!

Offline Ringleheim

I would like to see them do the sorts of subject matter that has been totally neglected by WNW over the years.

ITALIAN anything, French anything.

Specifically, I'd love to see a Caudron G4.  They have a beautiful example to copy at the Udvar Hazy Center in NOVA.

Online RAGIII

At the risk of possibly repeating Myself lets be aware of Not asking Roden to repeat what Many "Think" was Wing Nut Wings mistake: Too many expensive large kits that appeal Greatly to the Niche Market but not so much to the general Modeling public. I thing French and Italian subjects are a great choice to a degree. The SPAD XIII certainly needs a New kit as does the Hanriot An Ansaldo SVA also.  Pretty well known to the general aviation enthusiast and lots of markings for Many Nations. To me those  would be a natural starting point. When it comes to the More expensive two seaters, The BE series, Strutter, Brequet 14, and DH4 would most likely have a General appeal. Obviously if successfuland profitable the more esoteric birds might be welcome  ;D JMHO,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Not asking Roden to repeat what Many "Think" was Wing Nut Wings mistake: Too many expensive large kits that appeal Greatly to the Niche Market but not so much to the general Modeling public.

Personally, I agree completely. Esoteric is great for us, but likely won't be popular with the general modelling public. The average modeller looking to try their hand at a WW1 kit will want something relatively simple (less struts is better) and simple to rig. Hence a great re-entry into the WW1 market by Roden would be a 1/32 Hanriot or SPAD XIII (noting the average modeller won't know the difference between a SPAD VII and a SPAD XIII; Roden knows how well their SPAD VII kit sold, so would need to balance putting out another SPAD versus something like a Hanriot... my money is on the latter winning out).

The success (or failure) of their next WW1 release will most likely be VERY formative in where Roden goes with continued WW1 production. Roden are no doubt watching us with interest, so we need to put our money where our mouthes are and buy up whatever gets released :)

Cheers,

BC

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Folks

Roden have been reading our Forum posts and closely following our new kit request poll. I endorse Brad's remarks that if they resume production of WW1 kits there will be an onus on us as modellers to support them with our business rather than just words.

Modellers are always griping that the model companies don't listen to us. Well Roden are listening to us!

Wingnuts changed the landscape of WW1 aircraft modelling but they are sadly now in the past tense and we need to move on and give support to those manufacturers who are still producing WW1 kits- in all of the scales.

Copper State Models will be announcing a new 1/32 scale aircraft kit soon which will be an exciting choice, and I hope to have news from Roden very soon.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online RAGIII

Folks

Roden have been reading our Forum posts and closely following our new kit request poll. I endorse Brad's remarks that if they resume production of WW1 kits there will be an onus on us as modellers to support them with our business rather than just words.

Modellers are always griping that the model companies don't listen to us. Well Roden are listening to us!

Wingnuts changed the landscape of WW1 aircraft modelling but they are sadly now in the past tense and we need to move on and give support to those manufacturers who are still producing WW1 kits- in all of the scales.

Copper State Models will be announcing a new 1/32 scale aircraft kit soon which will be an exciting choice, and I hope to have news from Roden very soon.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

I agree wit you 100% and am really looking forward to the CSM...and Roden announcements!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mgunns

I just scoped out their (Roden's) 1/32nd Stearman.  The reviewer on Hyperscale included some images that are quite promising.  The detail includes stitched ribbing, a more detailed instrument panel and it appears as if the locators for the "N" struts are more pronounced.  Hopefully this level of detail will be any new 1/32nd WWI aircraft that Roden is considering.  I too am looking forward to what is forthcoming from both Roden and CSM.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....