Author Topic: Roden 1/32 Nieuport 28: Thumbs Up Or Down?  (Read 1092 times)

Offline ebergerud

Roden 1/32 Nieuport 28: Thumbs Up Or Down?
« on: May 24, 2020, 10:17:32 AM »
It's pushing birthday time and a suggestion from me usually produces the wanted kit. I'm very drawn to the idea of a Roden 1/32 Nieuport 28 - lovely planes, fine US pilots. I've checked online reviews and also some build reviews here. Very few kits in my memory have had such a wide range of opinions - almost wonder if some kits might have been sold somehow deformed. In any case, what's the word? I'm not expecting WNW, but I'm not sure I'd want a kit that would make me into a better person if I succeeded in finishing it. Opinions from wiser heads?
Eric

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Roden 1/32 Nieuport 28: Thumbs Up Or Down?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 10:37:51 AM »
Eric,
     I can't speak to the contents of every box from Roden labeled as a "Nieuport 28" however I got a good one! It took a little more TLC then a Wingnut Wings Kit however I enjoyed the Build and am more then pleased with the results. Here's a link to my experience with the Kit, unfortunately it has the "dreaded Photo Bucket Curse" but it may help with your decision. There's also a post or ten on finished Models in Sept of 2014. I like the Kit!

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3716.0

Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 11:19:46 AM by lcarroll »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 10:37:48 PM »
I agree with Lance. In addition Aviattic Now has the wicker seat and a replacement cowling if you want to correct the Most Glaring errors. I am attaching a link to My build. Not great photography but a pretty honest build by an average Modeler  ;D
RAGIII

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2077.0
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Europapete

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 12:42:56 AM »
Hi Eric, in addition to Aviattic PART from Poland do a very nice PE set for it, Gaspatch for the guns and rigging bits. PART can be bought from Jadar hobby shop. I get Gaspatch directly from the manufacturer.  Also check out Aviattics new PE stitching to add rib tape detail and fuselage stitching. The Roden N28 is a very nice kit. Regards, Pete in RI

Offline petrov27

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 02:30:28 AM »
I have a couple of the N28 kits and though I have not yet completed a build the basic kit parts seem well done and no warping or anything at least on my two kits. As others have noted there is aftermarket for it and I think it could be done up nice. About the only thing i am not keen on is the way they did the windscreen. The N28 had a prominent wrap around screen and the kit just gives a flat piece of clear acetate to form it from. It would be much better (IMHO) if they had done the screen as they did with their SPAD and later Nieuports as a normal plastic cast part.
-Patrick