Author Topic: WnW Albatros, Ltn Wolf, Jasta 5  (Read 3447 times)

Offline FAf

WnW Albatros, Ltn Wolf, Jasta 5
« on: May 09, 2020, 01:58:24 AM »
So my third proper WWI build and my first WNW. I'm quite pleased with the result, but of course there are things I would do differently if I built it again - as always.

/Fredrik

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: WnW Albatros, Ltn Wolf, Jasta 5
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 02:24:56 AM »
    A great finish on a very complicated scheme. I especially like your weathering, lots but not at all overdone. Well done, she's a real beauty!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Radarman

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 02:55:39 AM »
Fredrik,
It came out great. Thanks for sharing this one.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 03:02:54 AM »
That vis a truly superb model. As Lance has commented the weathering is just right - not at all overdone.The Bavarian squares make a very attractive scheme.

Stephen.

Offline smperry

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 03:11:24 AM »
A real beauty. One of my favorite Jasta 5 machines. And you really did it up right.

I really like the light brown around all the panel edges and other fittings. It looks so much more realistic than black and as Lance said it is not over done. What did you use and how did you apply it? The Bravarian blue and white looks super. How well did the decal go down?

sp

There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 04:23:47 AM »
Great Pictures , Great Build !!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline James

WnW Albatros, Ltn Wolf, Jasta 5
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 05:01:48 AM »
Wow!!!! Beautiful build my friend. May I ask what color green did you use for the tail and horizontal stabilizers?

James
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 05:02:34 AM »
A Beautiful build, Fredrik! You have a very neat and detailed touch and really understand subtle but effective weathering! Lovely paint and decaling... Stunning! Regards, Marc.

Offline aircare84

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 05:14:22 AM »
Excellent Build!
Love the weathering.
Thanks for posting.

Offline B Sharp

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2020, 06:04:12 AM »
Fantastic Fredrik, it turned out really well. I do also want to know what colours you used for the tail as I have a Jasta 5 in the pipeline ( and so do Björn  ;)).

Bjarne

Online RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 08:26:23 AM »
A really awesome build! The fact that you painted the diamond scheme to such perfection really stands out to me! Everything is excellent from interior to rigging!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 11:10:12 AM »
Beautiful job on your Albbie Fredrik , sure a cool scheme !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline FAf

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 05:26:29 PM »
Wow... I'm blushing a little from all the kind comments! 😊 Thank you all!

With all of the 'impossible' skill that is on display in this forum I'm only happy to be able to add my small efforts.

Some answers;
A real beauty. One of my favorite Jasta 5 machines. And you really did it up right.

I really like the light brown around all the panel edges and other fittings. It looks so much more realistic than black and as Lance said it is not over done. What did you use and how did you apply it? The Bravarian blue and white looks super. How well did the decal go down?

sp

Several of you mention the weathering as SP in the above quote. It's simply Tamiya brown panel line accent colour. Applied on top of an acrylic layer of varnish - I'm not sure it was a gloss layer, it might have been a semi-gloss  layer?! Apply carefully with a fine brush, not the one in the bottle and later remove excess wash with a fine brush dampened in white spirits. There is a final semi-gloss layer on top of that.

SP - there are almost no decals on the model, only the very small ones and the coat of arms on the sides, so the checkers are painted. I fear decals!

James, Bjarne (and Björn) asked about the green on the tail. Very simple - it's Tamiya X-28 straight from the jar as per the WNW instructions. I think my pictures are a little on the dark side - I'll try and take one with better lighting and one outside in the sun today, so that you can see the green compared to the rest a little bit better.

Fantastic Fredrik, it turned out really well. I do also want to know what colours you used for the tail as I have a Jasta 5 in the pipeline ( and so do Björn  ;)).

Bjarne

Bjarne! I hope you're doing alright! May I ask what's not in your pipe line?! 😉

Cheers Fredrik

Offline B Sharp

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 08:54:39 PM »
Bjarne! I hope you're doing alright! May I ask what's not in your pipe line?! 😉

I am quarantined in my caravan since six weeks, as they have Corona at my wifes work (she is a nurse).
Living in 10 m² takes its toll, but now it is at least warm enough to spend time outdoors.

I heard that teaching at distance takes moore time, hope you can find time for the other two Albies and the Swedish Albatros B.II.  ;)
And I have no plans for a jet plane (yet).  :)

Bjarne

Bughunter

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2020, 09:23:53 PM »
Fredrik, that is a very nice model but the most impressive part of you build is the masking job of the white-blue areas! (and I live in Bavaria, it's called white-blue and not blue-white). That was really fun to look over your shoulder, thanks for showing 8)

Cheers,
Frank