Author Topic: Release the FOKKERS!!!!  (Read 18820 times)

Dekenba

Re: Release the FOKKERS!!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 05:46:43 PM »
I've opted for the OAW on the back of some simply outrageous paint schemes!

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 06:19:45 PM »
Oh my god! My carte bleue may just change to a carte rouge; I'd better warn the bank.

Nigel

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 07:35:10 PM »
It's a pity the didn't include parts for a DVIIF - special edition to come?
Oh I think so. After all they promised ALL variants. 

On a high for me SWMBO has just ordered the Fok & OAW variants for me for Xmas. I couldnt decide which I wanted more.... ;)

Theres so many profiles I want to do but to do Buchner's (Revell) aircraft is something of a must do... there again Stark's Li is one of my favs along with Bruno Loerzer's humbug striped kite.   

I just hope they turn up pre-Xmas not post.
K
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 09:12:03 PM »
Please bear with me all - Now it's time for a screaming newbie question ;D:

What is the difference between the 3 D.VII 'types' and why produce 3 separate/distinct boxings as opposed to one boxing with extra sprues?

The kits look great and the number of schemes is pretty cool!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 09:35:51 PM »
Andrew, Hiya,

Basically the three boxings are the three different manufacturers. Focker built and Albatros and Albatros (OAW) built the D.VII under licence too. On top of that then there are several variants in each box usually early mid and late options.

So with each of these kitset offerings have the early mid and late options. I think besides the fact it's good marketing strategy it makes it simpler for builders to get around the myriad small differences between the various models. Imagine the handbook/instruction sheet with 9-12 variants and 3 manufacturers and the possibility to mess up? Plus that would seriously limit schemes offered and make the kit prohibitively expensive to try to cover all.

A good question though, not all understand and it'll help more than you to understand why.

Well that's my thoughts at least.  ;D

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 10:22:27 PM »
I am one happy boy! Now where's my credit card.

I'm one happy boy, too! Now where is your credit card?! haha

:)
BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline mgunns

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 11:29:04 PM »
I knew it, I knew it!  All the indicators were there!  The website wouldn't respond, couldn't pull up anything then here it is.  I knew it!  I am a trained anaylyst you all know!

Not sure which one I will pop for, maybe all three!!!  Anyone want a Revell Kit? 
Now, on to the Gotha, it will make a great companion piece for the Fokkers.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 11:43:42 PM »
Knowing next to nothing about the D.VII, if I wanted to do a Canadian captured version, which kit should I buy?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 11:47:41 PM »
Hate to sound like a bit of a Grinch, but I can wait a bit on the Fokker. With a Biff, SE and Albi here, and awaiting the Sopwith Triplane and Snipe, I'm good for the time being. But to you of the younger generation, full of the expectations and enthusiasm of youth...knock yourselves out, and have a great time doing it! Good luck with all of your future DVII builds!   ;D  :D  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 11:48:08 PM »
The potential in markings and specific aircraft is endless! Given my Sopwith Tripe was shipped only a few days ago I'm going to ponder the options for a week or so before ordering. On the other hand the Christmas deadline is not far in the future................"he said shakily as his eyes rolled back in his head and his wallet burst into flames"! WNW have really hit the ball out of the park this time. I suspect nearly everyone's stash is about to grow significantly.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 11:55:15 PM »
Knowing next to nothing about the D.VII, if I wanted to do a Canadian captured version, which kit should I buy?

Cheers,

Chris

Chris,
Based on photos, OAW and Albatros versions were in the short-lived Canadian Air Force at the end of the war. Not sure of the Fokker version yet, but you have the inside track on two of the manufacturers!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 12:12:53 AM »
There are now 4 additional D.VII decal sheets posted.  I suspect the WNW will include some markings for the Canadian captives on a sheet at some point, as they've shown willingness to do captured markings, a la the Tripe.  At least I hope they do!  On the other hand, if you don't want to wait, I'm sure you can cobble together the appropriate markings in some fashion.   ;)

Regards,

Bob

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 12:50:05 AM »
Just so I have it right- Loerzer's was a Fokker built 180Ps engined 5 colour lozenge bird...whew.

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 01:00:10 AM »

Cheers,

Chris

The Albatros Pubs Fokker Anthology #3 has a great little piece on what I believe is the only survivor of the 22 DVIIs brought back to Canada after the War.It is Alb. Built 6810/18 and is presently held by the Brome County Historical Society in Knowlton Quebec. This aircraft has numerous parts from OAW Built DVII's on it; comment is that it is not known if these substitutes were done overseas during it's wartime service or while it flew in Canada. From this I'd speculate that Gary's correct, at least OAW and Albatros Built versions served in the "Canadian Airforce". Given we had 22 I'd also say that Fokker Built DVIIs could easily have been included as well.
   In the absence of any other info there are two Public Archives of Canada Documents referenced which could prove helpful; we could always submit a request.
Cheers,
Lance :-\

Offline mgunns

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 02:32:35 AM »
Howard Hughes used a bunch of Fokker DVII's in his movie "Hell's Angel's".   They were Army Surplus.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....